Sponsored

Metal cloak with shock extenders. Hurt how much?

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Ok, couple of questions for the suspension experts. I’ve asked before but I don’t understand why it would hurt. Could be I’m a dumbass. Anyway, I’m wanting to do the MC Gamechanger 2.5 lift. I have Fox 2.5 DSCs for 0-1.5 lift. Extended length is only 25.50 for the Fox shocks. I realize I will have to have extenders and I realize that they I won’t get as much articulation. I would think I will still get more than I have now on a stock 2019 JLUR with my shocks. So what will it really hurt? Do I risk breaking anything? I do wheel in the Jeep. Plan on doing EJS or Jeep Jamboree in Moab next year. Will do Fins, and hells revenge and other trails. Nothing extreme rated. I know I’ll need a new front driveshaft no matter what. Just please help me understand what if any damage/problems will occur. Also, on the 2.5 lift with 35’s. What have you seen for overall height? Asking to make sure it will still fit in garage. By all means, I will PM you my cell if you can explain better over the phone. Thank you and sorry for the long post. Please help me.
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
It will bottom out the shock before it bottoms out the vehicle if you dont have enough bumpstop, extenders make the shock travel shorter giving you more wheel travel, but it reduces the up travel of the shock.

OP
OP
jellis4148

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, if I just make sure I have enough bumpstop I should be fine to wheel with it?

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So, if I just make sure I have enough bumpstop I should be fine to wheel with it?
I’ve never run extenders, but assuming they are durable enough and you run enough bumpstop it should be ok.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah just dont want to damage the shock, get enough bumpstop all good

Sponsored

OP
OP
jellis4148

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if the kit comes with enough. Says up to 4”. Wonder if that’s even enough.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
And honestly you wont need a driveshaft with shocks that length. Unless it gets you extended over 29” youll be fine

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if the kit comes with enough. Says up to 4”. Wonder if that’s even enough.
Should be okay, but only way to know is to bump it out with the extenders and no springs and see what the length is

OP
OP
jellis4148

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, somewhat off topic. This all to do Moab, black bear pass and other trails. Would like to do Rubicon. Is all this necessary with a JLU Rubicon with 35’s? Can I do those trails as the Jeep sits?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
So, somewhat off topic. This all to do Moab, black bear pass and other trails. Would like to do Rubicon. Is all this necessary with a JLU Rubicon with 35’s? Can I do those trails as the Jeep sits?
moab and black bear for sure. There’s mild to wild in Moab but picking realistic trails you’ll have no problem. On the rubicon, it’s much tougher, I think you’d be fine, the limited articulation will be an issue you can work thru, I’d suggest skids and real rock rails if you don’t have any already. It’s a test of the vehicles as well as driver but an incredible trail.

we have a couple sets of the fox 2.5s sitting in the shop waiting on installs. For a 3.5” mc lift, we ordered in the 4-6” fox 2.5s. They have very similar extended and collapsed length for reference. my personal opinion would be to sell the shocks and run the rocksports or buy the correct length fox vs running the shock extensions. I know how expensive those shocks are too but that would be my recommendation

brett

Sponsored

OP
OP
jellis4148

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
moab and black bear for sure. There’s mild to wild in Moab but picking realistic trails you’ll have no problem. On the rubicon, it’s much tougher, I think you’d be fine, the limited articulation will be an issue you can work thru, I’d suggest skids and real rock rails if you don’t have any already. It’s a test of the vehicles as well as driver but an incredible trail.

we have a couple sets of the fox 2.5s sitting in the shop waiting on installs. For a 3.5” mc lift, we ordered in the 4-6” fox 2.5s. They have very similar extended and collapsed length for reference. my personal opinion would be to sell the shocks and run the rocksports or buy the correct length fox vs running the shock extensions. I know how expensive those shocks are too but that would be my recommendation

brett
which length Fox 2.5’s would you recommend for the 2.5 lift? I’m running 35’s but plan to move to 37’s when the wear out. Also, would you know a good way to sell my Fox shocks I have now?

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
which length Fox 2.5’s would you recommend for the 2.5 lift? I’m running 35’s but plan to move to 37’s when the wear out. Also, would you know a good way to sell my Fox shocks I have now?
The longest ones they have, you cant go off of the lift size they state, you need to actually measure. Pretty sure you would want the longest ones they offer though

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
the rocksports are the same between the 2.5 and 3.5” lift. I’m going off memory but I think the rocksports are 29” extended and 17 collapsed. I would match that up. The 4-6” are very close with the fox 2.5 being maybe .5” longer extended. The 2-3” ones would work but you’re leaving some performance on the table. If you’re not in a hurry, I have the 3.5” coils with the 4-6” shocks and the 2.5” coils with the 2-3” ones too on the shelf. I’m several weeks out but will update you. Went with the 2-3“ shocks because the 4-6” were unavailable

they are a high end shock and id think this forum would have a terrific reach. They would be perfect with height limitations that want one of the best shocks on the market

brett

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Yes. Though Rubicon will be tough. My stock JLUR did every single trail in Moab I took it on including some 7 rated ones.

-Skids
-Rock rails that extend further out
-Good spotter to assist with lines
-Fresh tires aired down properly.

I mean I didn’t have skids or rails and I was still fine. No damage.

OP
OP
jellis4148

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thays
My suggestion would be to get 3.5” springs and Fox 2.5s for 4 -6” lift, if you’re going up to 37s. The Fox say 30.5” extended, but in real world once your flexed, since the shocks are slightly angled at full droop they’re a little over 31”. This potentially could let the 2.5” spring loosen. Also if you haven’t addressed your fenders by chopping or replacing expect some rubbing. You can control this with bump stop , but then your limiting shock travel, which really defeats the purpose , lol ....here’s a 3.5” spring with Fox 2.5s, now I know it’s not Moab (that’s definitely on my bucket list ) but I always like to see stuff, rather than just read about it due to my ancestry, we drew pictures on cave walls as a way of communicating . ............:)

297F50A7-796F-494C-BFF0-5EC8208C5AAB.jpeg
C0D5FF83-C7E6-43CE-8CDE-4FDBD968AE07.jpeg
820A50AE-78F2-4A82-B0D4-1D658BA00072.jpeg
exactly what I want. How tall is your Jeep now?
Sponsored