Sponsored

Metal Cloak Game Changer 3.5" Front Track Bar and Drag Link positioning and relationship?

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
I am wondering why the @Metalcloak Game Changer JL kit and or the JL Durotrack Track Bar installation notes do not make any mention of possible relocation of the Track Bar frame mount.

Is there something about the design of the Game Changer system or the JL frame mounts that makes track bar mount relocation less useful?

Is it a case of Metal Cloak having so much interest in maximizing up travel capability that the OEM positioning results in motions that average as parallel when the gains in up travel capability is considered?

As I understand it, the "ideal" is to have the track bar and drag link parallel, and while it seems good to have the parallel relationship in the at rest posture, parallelogram positioning can not be maintained through the range of motion because the two parts are not identical length. So the most effective solution is too manage the compromise.

I am wondering how the Metal Cloak JL kits manage the issue?

Thank you!
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,
I am wondering why the @Metalcloak Game Changer JL kit and or the JL Durotrack Track Bar installation notes do not make any mention of possible relocation of the Track Bar frame mount.

Is there something about the design of the Game Changer system or the JL frame mounts that makes track bar mount relocation less useful?

Is it a case of Metal Cloak having so much interest in maximizing up travel capability that the OEM positioning results in motions that average as parallel when the gains in up travel capability is considered?

As I understand it, the "ideal" is to have the track bar and drag link parallel, and while it seems good to have the parallel relationship in the at rest posture, parallelogram positioning can not be maintained through the range of motion because the two parts are not identical length. So the most effective solution is too manage the compromise.

I am wondering how the Metal Cloak JL kits manage the issue?

Thank you!
It really comes down to what you do with your drag link. If you flip it to the top of the knuckle then you need to also relocate the trackbar. If you leave it in the stock mounting position (drag link) then you need to leave the trackbar in its stock position.

MC recommends leaving both in the stock position but they do this to allow the most suspension travel. It does compromise handling a bit if you run more than about 3” of lift. Adds a touch of bump steer. I have their 3.5” GC and left it all in the stock mounting spots. It’s fine for me but I know if I flipped andrelocated that the onroadfeel would be better.

If you do flip the drag link you typically need to run more bumpstop on the passenger side to keep the drag link from hitting the frame.

None of this info is unique to MC. It’s the same variables for any lift manufacturer. I think Roam has a unique drag link that allows you to flip it without needing additional bumpstop. (Still need to relocate trackbar axle side)

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi @MarkY3130, Thanks for the explanation.

Can you help me understand the details a little bit better.

"It really comes down to what you do with your drag link. If you flip it to the top of the knuckle"

When you say "knuckle" are you speaking of the steering knuckles at the hub? I just want to make sure you do not mean the Pittman arm attachment.

The reason I ask is that it is my impression that the track bar relocation brackets made by some companies modify the connection point at the top end of the bar near the frame, and if I am following you correctly, it seems like you are saying if you raise the drag link connection at the wheel, you can lower the track bar connection at the frame to bring the two closer to parallel positioning.

Is that the idea?

Thank you!

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hi @MarkY3130, Thanks for the explanation.

Can you help me understand the details a little bit better.

"It really comes down to what you do with your drag link. If you flip it to the top of the knuckle"

When you say "knuckle" are you speaking of the steering knuckles at the hub? I just want to make sure you do not mean the Pittman arm attachment.

The reason I ask is that it is my impression that the track bar relocation brackets made by some companies modify the connection point at the top end of the bar near the frame, and if I am following you correctly, it seems like you are saying if you raise the drag link connection at the wheel, you can lower the track bar connection at the frame to bring the two closer to parallel positioning.

Is that the idea?

Thank you!
Most wouldn’t recommend a drop pitman arm. When people refer to a drag link flip they are most commonly referring to the connection on the steering knuckle near the tire/wheel.

Most brackets for the trackbar are at the axle side. They raise the height at that end to match the raised height of the drag link you did on that side as well.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thanks @MarkY3130 for explaining. I had thought the track bar brackets were bolted to the frame. I did not understand that the track bar relocation brackets bolted to the axles.

Thanks very much.
Sponsored