Sponsored

Metal cloak 3.5 and death wobble

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
The steer smarts stuff seems to have solved my problem? Drove a solid distance, no real shimmy, no wobble. Feels a lot better. Hopefully that was it. I guess time will tell.
Sponsored

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I replaced only the drag link with the steer smarts drag link and it didn't seem to have any effect on the wobbles. This weekend I replaced the tie rod with steer smarts, and the ball joints with the Dynatrac units. Not sure which one it was, but there is absolutely zero hint of wobbles now, and my alignment is finally proper.

I spent the majority of my weekend driving finding the worst potholes, manhole covers, and bumps in the road and trying my best to upset the Jeep. it's rock solid now.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Spoke too soon! More wobble today. Hopefully I can get on some new tires tomorrow or Thursday and continue to monitor. After that I guess all that is left is ball joints...

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Spoke too soon! More wobble today. Hopefully I can get on some new tires tomorrow or Thursday and continue to monitor. After that I guess all that is left is ball joints...
Similar to what a lot of threads around here have said regarding ball joints, mine didn't exhibit any of the "bad" symptoms when doing the various tests.

I can't really say for sure whether the steer smarts tie rod (already had the drag link) or the new dynatrac ball joints fixed my problem, but I can say that after installing both of them, the Jeep is rock solid now. I can only imagine that my ball joints were worn after 30k miles on 37s and another 5k miles on 39s, with probably a dozen or so pretty hard wheeling trips in there.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
What were the temperatures like on the two days? I have noticed temperatures came into play several times. At first I had thought tires and temperatures but I think it might have more to do with lower temperatures changing the viscosity of the PS fluid.

Sponsored

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
What were the temperatures like on the two days? I have noticed temperatures came into play several times. At first I had thought tires and temperatures but I think it might have more to do with lower temperatures changing the viscosity of the PS fluid.
First time maybe 60s, yesterday 70s...

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
First time maybe 60s, yesterday 70s...
See that was quick! That just blew my theory, mine was noticeably worse under 40-45. It was in the 40’s here yesterday and I had a hint of shimmy, nothing like it was but I noticed it. The last week it has been in the upper 50’s/60’s and no issues.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
See that was quick! That just blew my theory, mine was noticeably worse under 40-45. It was in the 40’s here yesterday and I had a hint of shimmy, nothing like it was but I noticed it. The last week it has been in the upper 50’s/60’s and no issues.
Yea who knows it could be anything!! After the tie rod and drag link it really did feel really good especially over bumps, yesterday's full on wobble really caught me by surprise. Wasn't even a really big bump, it's odd. I'm wondering if a ball joint is bad just on one side or something like that.

My tires are at the end of their life, and are cupped pretty bad. Could just be the tires I guess or could be the ball joints doing that to the tires... If I can get into the shop I'll get some new tires on, hopefully that makes a difference. If not, I'm not sure what else is left other than the ball joints.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yea who knows it could be anything!! After the tie rod and drag link it really did feel really good especially over bumps, yesterday's full on wobble really caught me by surprise. Wasn't even a really big bump, it's odd. I'm wondering if a ball joint is bad just on one side or something like that.

My tires are at the end of their life, and are cupped pretty bad. Could just be the tires I guess or could be the ball joints doing that to the tires... If I can get into the shop I'll get some new tires on, hopefully that makes a difference. If not, I'm not sure what else is left other than the ball joints.
How many miles ?

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've got 48k miles on it. So yea very well could be the ball joints. I wonder how long it would take for me to get done dynatrac ball joints.
😳..... lol.... yeah your about 28K past over due with pos oem bjs, lol. I’d do bjs before tires. Tired likely not the problem. Tire issues are consistent, not random. Usually, lol.