Sponsored

Metal cloak 3.5 and death wobble

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Coming from what could be the king of DW (Ford solid axle), the very first thing I changed was trackbar, drag link, tie rod (all MC), and steering stabilizer (Fox).

Not long after, I did the full lift (MC Game changer) and replaced the steering knuckles (Mojave) ball joints (Dynatrac), and added Johnny Joints on the upper front axle.

While it was expensive, I have had no issues and have 60K miles on it at point (30K since the lift).

The OEM crap is just that...crap. Stamped steel with hydraulically crimped ends and plastic internals in the ball joints.

Once you add larger, heavier tires and lifting it, the stresses are more than the OEM was ever designed for and the wear rate is exponentially accelerated.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Coming from what could be the king of DW (Ford solid axle), the very first thing I changed was trackbar, drag link, tie rod (all MC), and steering stabilizer (Fox).

Not long after, I did the full lift (MC Game changer) and replaced the steering knuckles (Mojave) ball joints (Dynatrac), and added Johnny Joints on the upper front axle.

While it was expensive, I have had no issues and have 60K miles on it at point (30K since the lift).

The OEM crap is just that...crap. Stamped steel with hydraulically crimped ends and plastic internals in the ball joints.

Once you add larger, heavier tires and lifting it, the stresses are more than the OEM was ever designed for and the wear rate is exponentially accelerated.
Couldnā€™t have said it any betterā€¦..

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited EcoDiesel
Hey Everyone,

Well, I guess I've reached the point that a lot of you have.

I'm getting ready to order Dynatrac ball joints.

Also going to order Steer Smarts tie rod and drag link. Steer Smarts has several different options / models. For those of you who went with Steer Smarts, which specific ones did you order and how did they work out?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited EcoDiesel
Carbon Steel,

Our lifted '71 Bronco wasn't nearly as frustrating as this JL. Rotated the knuckles to get good caster numbers an the Bronco never saw DW.

Just curious about your choice of Metal Cloak tie rod and drag link, and the Fox stabilizer. Lots of discussion here about Steering Smarts. Our JL is almost a rolling ad for Metal Cloak. I just don't know if the negatives of jam nuts are worth looking at another vendor (like Steering Smarts). I'm also curious about your thoughts regarding the Fox stabilizer. I have Rock Sport shocks on the Metal Cloak lift and I am pretty happy with them. Not sure the Fox is worth an extra couple of hundred dollars.

Thanks for any input you'd like to share.

Jeff

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Carbon Steel,

Our lifted '71 Bronco wasn't nearly as frustrating as this JL. Rotated the knuckles to get good caster numbers an the Bronco never saw DW.

Just curious about your choice of Metal Cloak tie rod and drag link, and the Fox stabilizer. Lots of discussion here about Steering Smarts. Our JL is almost a rolling ad for Metal Cloak. I just don't know if the negatives of jam nuts are worth looking at another vendor (like Steering Smarts). I'm also curious about your thoughts regarding the Fox stabilizer. I have Rock Sport shocks on the Metal Cloak lift and I am pretty happy with them. Not sure the Fox is worth an extra couple of hundred dollars.

Thanks for any input you'd like to share.

Jeff
I lived near @rustyshakelford1 and spent some time discussing quite a few things with him before I bought anything (I should have followed his re-gearing advice from the start šŸ˜œ) and he steered me to Metal Cloak and at this point, I too could be a rolling ad for them and do plug them every chance I get.

I could not be happier with that choice and have had no issues with the lift or the jam nuts. I am currently running RockSport shocks and have been pretty happy with them on road, but they may not be the best choice for offroad, particularly if encountering "washboard" type terrain. The oil will heat up pretty fast and the ability to absorb will fade.

I started with the Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer, but upgraded to the ATS to try and combat the high crosswinds on the freeways here in CO. I like it much better than the 2.0 because I can make it as stiff or loose as needed. After I install my DS CrMo front axle shafts, a set of Fox 2.5 DSCs will replace the RockSports. I have about 35K on the RockSports and I can tell a difference from the time that I initially installed them.

Color me Metal Cloak Gold at this point as with the exception of the front and rear trackbar brace, I am fully cloaked from front to back including skids.

Sponsored

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer

The KING of DW is the Jeep TJ. It is based upon the "Y" suspension, so is the Ford Superduty.

rustyshakelford1

I lived near @rustyshakelford1 and spent some time discussing quite a few things with him before I bought anything (I should have followed his re-gearing advice from the start šŸ˜œ) and he steered me to Metal Cloak and at this point, I too could be a rolling ad for them and do plug them every chance I get.

I could not be happier with that choice and have had no issues with the lift or the jam nuts. I am currently running RockSport shocks and have been pretty happy with them on road, but they may not be the best choice for offroad, particularly if encountering "washboard" type terrain. The oil will heat up pretty fast and the ability to absorb will fade.

I started with the Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer, but upgraded to the ATS to try and combat the high crosswinds on the freeways here in CO. I like it much better than the 2.0 because I can make it as stiff or loose as needed. After I install my DS CrMo front axle shafts, a set of Fox 2.5 DSCs will replace the RockSports. I have about 35K on the RockSports and I can tell a difference from the time that I initially installed them.

Color me Metal Cloak Gold at this point as with the exception of the front and rear trackbar brace, I am fully cloaked from front to back including skids.
MC just revealed there new remote resi shocks. These should fill the void between the rocksports and 6pak but Iā€™d imagine pricing will be on the higher end. Weā€™ve known about these for quite a while and have been anxiously awaiting their release. The biggest sell to me is that they are coming off the line tuned to the MC coil rate and designed for maximum single shaft articulation. Should be plug and play upgrade over the rocksports when they start showing their age.

Definitely something Iā€™d suggest getting on the radar!

Iā€™m excited to get some in and try out. The biggest negative with the Rocksport was their inability to dissipate heat quickly and low oil volume, these should go a long ways to correcting those issues.

brett

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The KING of DW is the Jeep TJ. It is based upon the "Y" suspension, so is the Ford Superduty.
Yep; it was a SuperDuty that I had and definitely the king of DW and practically happened driving off the lot. I made the first note on it in the shop having the front end replaced.

Last edited:

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
MC just revealed there new remote resi shocks. These should fill the void between the rocksports and 6pak but Iā€™d imagine pricing will be on the higher end. Weā€™ve known about these for quite a while and have been anxiously awaiting their release. The biggest sell to me is that they are coming off the line tuned to the MC coil rate and designed for maximum single shaft articulation. Should be plug and play upgrade over the rocksports when they start showing their age.

Iā€™m excited to get some in and try out. The biggest negative with the Rocksport was their inability to dissipate heat quickly and low oil volume, these should go a long ways to correcting those issues.

brett
I have not seen them on the MC website yet, but will have a look when they are out and compare to the Fox DSCs.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Trail distance is essentially a lever arm that pivots where the caster line hits the ground. The longer the lever arm, the greater the self-centering effect.

Mechanical trail & pneumatic trail are both components of trail distance. Lowering tire pressure and increasing caster both have the effect of increasing the trail distance.

Changing trail distance can mask deathwobble, but you're really just altering the speed & conditions that cause it to occur rather than fixing the worn or deflecting components.

Jeep Wrangler JL Metal cloak 3.5 and death wobble 1667490085948

Sponsored

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Trail distance is essentially a lever arm that pivots where the caster line hits the ground. The longer the lever arm, the greater the self-centering effect.

Mechanical trail & pneumatic trail are both components of trail distance. Lowering tire pressure and increasing caster both have the effect of increasing the trail distance.

Changing trail distance can mask deathwobble, but you're really just altering the speed & conditions that cause it to occur rather than fixing the worn or deflecting components.

1667490085948.png
Concur with a qualification: Caster CAN induce DW, if it's too far out of parameters. Does not mean your parts are worn out. Granted worn components are generally the cause of DW, but I can brand new car adjust the caster to the point of DW.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Concur with a qualification: Caster CAN induce DW, if it's too far out of parameters. Does not mean your parts are worn out. Granted worn components are generally the cause of DW, but I can brand new car adjust the caster to the point of DW.
True, but I'm not sure the factory caster angles are truly the cause. Modified... obviously anything is possible.

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
True, but I'm not sure the factory caster angles are truly the cause. Modified... obviously anything is possible.
Yes, when you start modifying, with bigger tires and a witches brew of components it impacts the parameters in so many different ways.

I ran a 3 in lift and 37 BFG KM2s and OEM driveshafts with 1-1310 unjoint and spent my time on 7+ rated trails. Never a failure and I was a stick shift. I got DW and fixed it by building my own track bar and frame mount and redoing my suspension into a high steer parallel. All of me settings were within OEM specs...

firedude

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 392 Stingray
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter

brett
Good to have you back.

rustyshakelford1

Good to have you back.
When you spend more on being a site sponsor than you made in a year and request to go back to being a regular member they lock you out of the account youā€™ve had for years here. Theyā€™ll also ignore all your emails asking to have access back. I stop in every once in a while to help if I can.

Brett
Sponsored