Sponsored

Metal cloak 3.5 and death wobble

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
it's fixed. Agree, it's a steering issue. Track bar, stabilizer, steering box, and loose bolts on anything.
Steering box was replaced maybe a week before my install. Barely felt a change from the aluminum box, maybe slightly tighter? Everything was perfect before hand though, honestly couldn't ask for a better experience.

Now, it's not the end of the world but it bothers me enough that I want it corrected. Steering feels fine, it's just a few bumps here and there get things wobbling. Since it was so good before though there shouldn't be too much to play around with to get things back.
Sponsored

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Man I am about to pull the trigger on the MC 2.5 true dual, and run 37” tires. Seeing all these wobble threads with MC the commonality has got me paused.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Steering box was replaced maybe a week before my install. Barely felt a change from the aluminum box, maybe slightly tighter? Everything was perfect before hand though, honestly couldn't ask for a better experience.

Now, it's not the end of the world but it bothers me enough that I want it corrected. Steering feels fine, it's just a few bumps here and there get things wobbling. Since it was so good before though there shouldn't be too much to play around with to get things back.
Just curious, did you notice it at all after the box was replaced? I have talked to a few people that are having similar issues and they all have had the new cast iron box, including myself.

Zaskar

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
it's . Agree, it's a steering issue. Track bar, stabilizer, steering box, and loose bolts on anything.
Just curious, did you notice it at all after the box was replaced? I have talked to a few people that are having similar issues and they all have had the new cast iron box, including myself.
No, I had the box replaced, then the track bar. My steering was good. No wandering, no wobble (never had any wobble), really was pretty happy with it. That's when I ordered the lift. I wanted to make sure that my jeep was correct before changing anything. That way I knew who to talk to. I dont blame Metalcloak or thier products, I feel that FCA has been making changes to fix thier steering issues and that's why the stabilizer from metal cloak is not working on mine. I have a buddy who has a JL with the same lift, no issues whatsoever- but he has the original steering components on his.

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Man I am about to pull the trigger on the MC 2.5 true dual, and run 37” tires. Seeing all these wobble threads with MC the commonality has got me paused.
This isn't unique to metalcloak, there are stock Jeeps with this problem. The OP just decided to include his specific lift in the thread so it caught the eyes of fellow MC owners.

Sponsored

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Nope. The box may have made the steering itself slightly better?. Steering still is really good honestly. It's just the occasional bump in the road that creates the shimmy now that didn't exist before. So I relate it directly to installing the lift. Either something isn't right with the parts, or installed incorrectly (don't think so), or isn't being masked anymore with the new suspension ( like maybe the ball joints have more pressure on them now? I have almost 48k miles on the Jeep).

maaark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The stock drag link and tie rod bushings have some play which becomes more prominent when using big heavy tires. Beef up your tie rod and drag link with a yeti, make sure your caster is set appropriately and the issue should go away.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. The box may have made the steering itself slightly better?. Steering still is really good honestly. It's just the occasional bump in the road that creates the shimmy now that didn't exist before. So I relate it directly to installing the lift. Either something isn't right with the parts, or installed incorrectly (don't think so), or isn't being masked anymore with the new suspension ( like maybe the ball joints have more pressure on them now? I have almost 48k miles on the Jeep).
At 48k I would definitely make ball joints one of your next upgrades. I’ve replaced some at as little as 15k and they were loose, it was a lifted rig for 90 percent of those miles however. Mine were loose as well when I changed them and I was at 13K at the time, and they passed the ball joint test.

May not be the source of your problem, but if their bad then it’s Russian roulette when one of those shimmy’s turns to full on DW .

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I have the same issues and I am running all Clayton arms and Dynatrac springs, recently changed to Rusty’s springs and the issue is still there, plenty of stock Jeeps having the same issues.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
At 48k I would definitely make ball joints one of your next upgrades. I’ve replaced some at as little as 15k and they were loose, it was a lifted rig for 90 percent of those miles however. Mine were loose as well when I changed them and I was at 13K at the time, and they passed the ball joint test.

May not be the source of your problem, but if their bad then it’s Russian roulette when one of those shimmy’s turns to full on DW .
Thats the game i'm playing in my head. Feeling like its not that, but figured i'm on borrowed time anyways with the ball joints. I guess if it doesnt fix it, i was probably close to needing to replace them anyways.

Synergy or Dynatrac?

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thats the game i'm playing in my head. Feeling like its not that, but figured i'm on borrowed time anyways with the ball joints. I guess if it doesnt fix it, i was probably close to needing to replace them anyways.

Synergy or Dynatrac?
I used dynatrac, I think they’re better(IMO). They’re a little pricey but won’t have to remove them when they wear out, and only 150 per wheel to rebuild them.

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I used dynatrac, I think they’re better(IMO). They’re a little pricey but won’t have to remove them when they wear out, and only 150 per wheel to rebuild them.
They're actually only about 200 bucks more than the OEM balljoints, and if you figure about a 20k replacement interval, you'll quickly spend more in OEM balljoints over the lifetime of the Jeep vs the Dynatracs. I just went through this decision making process myself yesterday, and ultimately ordered the Dynatrac ball joints this morning along with the yeti tie rod in preps for hydro assist.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
You have 3 options, Dana HD, OEM, and Dynatrac. The least expensive is the Dana, highest is Dynatrac. There really is only $200 difference, I originally did the Dana and had issues with them, they refunded me the purchase price and I put the Dynatrac in. If I was to do it over I would have went straight to the Dynatrac.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Shop tells me there is some play in the tie rod and drag link. I dont know, just doesnt make sense that it only started after the lift. Tie rod and drag link have not changed at all.

If i were to upgrade them, what would you guys recommend? I already have a MC lift, should I go with their tie rod and draglink? Or should i consider some other options?

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Shop tells me there is some play in the tie rod and drag link. I dont know, just doesnt make sense that it only started after the lift. Tie rod and drag link have not changed at all.

If i were to upgrade them, what would you guys recommend? I already have a MC lift, should I go with their tie rod and draglink? Or should i consider some other options?
The angle of the drag link has changed.

You'll get a variety of answers. Metalcloak, Synergy, and SteerSmarts Yeti are the usual top mentions, but I'm sure you'll get more answers from people who have gone with different options.

I went with the Steersmarts options.
Sponsored