Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone, my Jeep JL is less than 3500 km away and as I decided to change my "Diff Covers" for stronger ones, I took them off.

For the rear axle, no problem. On the other hand for the front, very big problem with a lot of metal chips.

My Jeep garage noticed the problem and opened a "call" to Jeep to find out what they should do.

In the meantime, they clearly explained to me that I shouldn't engage the 4x4 anymore.

My question, like the oil change for the axles and scheduled at 4 years, how can I prove the problem when the car is no longer under warranty?

Have many of you ever looked at the condition of your oil when your Jeep is new? My luck with that story is that I wanted to change the Diff Covers.

Your feedback is welcome :like:

PS: I specify that I have not yet used my Jeep on "technical" roads, so I have a perfectly clear conscience and I can therefore say that it is indeed a problem of assembly or factory setting that poses this problem.
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Can you get a picture? Many of us on here have changed covers and finding a bit of metal flake is not abnormal.

These things are not built in the IWC factory ;)

OP
OP
SwissSteph

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have a picture (here with me) I got some of the chips to show them to Jeep, and I have them in 4

The problem, I cleaned (well there were still some chips left), fixed the "diff cover", put some oil back. Then I voluntarily drove 20 - 30 kilometers in "4 Hi" before bringing my car to the garage.
Result again of the chips, the conclusion of the dealer, it's a piece that rubs against another, but they don't know where because the vision you have once the cover is removed is not extraordinary.

One thing is certain, the chips continue to be "made". It looks like typical shavings when you drill into metal! It's just unbelievable.

As soon as I get my "stock of shavings" I'm going to put a picture here

EDIT: I have an answer from Jeep, they're waiting for bearings and then completely clean the axle, my doubt ... that the blockage is also damaged. As Jeep's stupid policy is to only follow the manufacturer's instructions (FCA) they can't order a lock in advance if needed during disassembly, so there is probably a huge delay to get this part here (in Europe).

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
What I did was when I had cover off and found some flake I cleaned out the pumpkin with brake clean very well. I did that until no more flake was coming out. It collects in the corners and needs fluid to float it out.

Filled it back up with oil.

Drove for 2500km.

Drained it and no flake found.

Considered it ok.

Many on here have done similar.

It is highly unlikely that if something is wrong it is making metal spirals. Those are from the machining when it's built and just not properly cleaned out. A failing diff will lead to flakes of metal and not the spirals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SwissSteph

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When the repairs are done, I'll come back here and give my feeback. The rpoblème, it misses a simple part and to get it it was announced to me ... mid-August to mid-September to get it from Jeep at Jeep, it's halucinating :mad:

Sponsored

OP
OP
SwissSteph

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a picture of my metal shavings. The quantity shown here is much less than what I removed !!!

To summarize:
- I emptied the axle
- oil change
- driven in "4x4 Hi" (about 20-30 kilometers)
- take my Jeep to the dealership
- they found more metal shavings :angry:

Jeep Wrangler JL Metal chips in the front axle Copeaux

Last edited:

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Here's a picture of my metal shavings. The quantity shown here is much less than what I removed !!!

To summarize:
- I emptied the axle
- oil change
- driven in "4x4 Hi" (about 20-30 kilometers)
- take my Jeep to the dealership
- they found more metal shavings :angry:

Jeep Wrangler JL Metal chips in the front axle Copeaux
Looks like the LSD clutches failing.

OP
OP
SwissSteph

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
"LSD"... in a Rubicon? Excuse me for my stupid question.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
"LSD"... in a Rubicon? Excuse me for my stupid question.
I don't know what the Euro ones get. But in NA we have an issue of the LSD diff clutches failing in quite some units. When they do the fluid will be black/burnt and flakes of the clutch floating in it, which looks a bit like what you show.

For that much metal to be made in 30km you would HEAR it as you drive.

OP
OP
SwissSteph

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
my oil wasn't black, but a normal colour for 3,000 kilometres.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SwissSteph

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Little feedback of my problems.

Following this discovery from me of many metal chips in my front axle and Jeep observation, they changed the "satellites" (I don't know if my English translation is correct, sorry), seals AND cleaned the area where the blockage is (they explained to me by phone that they had "completely soaked it to clean it").

Some time later, I had the opportunity to really test this repair. The very bad surprise, I now have, like many members on this forum and elsewhere, my locks that blink when I want to engage them, if I engage the rear one I have the light of the front one blinking, if I engage both (front and rear) I feel like Christmas with the lights blinking in turn.
In short, having "cleaned" / "touched" the inside of my axle, the Jeep dealer broke everything!!!

More on the next episode.