Sponsored

Merry Christmas! (Christmas Pic of my 1st Wrangler 1990)

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
Here's an old pic from this time of year. This is most likely 1990. I'm all "dressed up" for Christmas. Usually I look like I'm going camping. At that time I usually was.

Is just graduated art school and had an actual career related job. I worked for a small set fabrication studio in Pittsburgh. It allowed me to buy my first Wrangler.

I believe this is a 1989 model. It was one step up from a Conestoga wagon. In fact, I think they have the same suspension? It only had the four banger engine.

I really didn't take care of it and beat the heck out of the thing. Flooded the engine with mud at least once. Poor or no maintenance schedule at times. Hit deer, rocks, stumps. You could see the road through the floor and the half top door window on the driver's side wouldn't zip shut. The heater worked great!

Until it didn't. I once spent hours during a much later Christmas freezing in sub zero weather, waiting for a tow. Then the tow truck broke down and tried to leave me outside again. I was dressed in "good clothes" and nearly croaked it from the cold.

Loaded with camping gear and a passenger it was like flying around in a biplane as I struggled up the steep hills of Western PA. I got used to pulling over to let folks pass.

I had it for nearly 15 years and loved it. Eventually I sold it for scrap and had it hauled away. I honestly wish I still had it sitting around somewhere. I'd try to fix it up now that I'm more able to take care of things.

Ron_Lutz_II_Early-1990s_002 (1).jpg
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Here's an old pic from this time of year. This is most likely 1990. I'm all "dressed up" for Christmas. Usually I look like I'm going camping. At that time I usually was.

Is just graduated art school and had an actual career related job. I worked for a small set fabrication studio in Pittsburgh. It allowed me to buy my first Wrangler.

I believe this is a 1989 model. It was one step up from a Conestoga wagon. In fact, I think they have the same suspension? It only had the four banger engine.

I really didn't take care of it and beat the heck out of the thing. Flooded the engine with mud at least once. Poor or no maintenance schedule at times. Hit deer, rocks, stumps. You could see the road through the floor and the half top door window on the driver's side wouldn't zip shut. The heater worked great!

Until it didn't. I once spent hours during a much later Christmas freezing in sub zero weather, waiting for a tow. Then the tow truck broke down and tried to leave me outside again. I was dressed in "good clothes" and nearly croaked it from the cold.

Loaded with camping gear and a passenger it was like flying around in a biplane as I struggled up the steep hills of Western PA. I got used to pulling over to let folks pass.

I had it for nearly 15 years and loved it. Eventually I sold it for scrap and had it hauled away. I honestly wish I still had it sitting around somewhere. I'd try to fix it up now that I'm more able to take care of things.

Jeep Wrangler JL Merry Christmas! (Christmas Pic of my 1st Wrangler 1990) Ron_Lutz_II_Early-1990s_002 (1)
Heh. That goatee and outfit definitely scream 1990!

OP
OP
Darter02

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
Heh. That goatee and outfit definitely scream 1990!
I didn't spend a lot of money on "nice" clothes. My cash went into fishing and camping. No kids and my girlfriend was out of the country for the year. I literally just ran around camping with friends all the time.

Jeep Wrangler JL Merry Christmas! (Christmas Pic of my 1st Wrangler 1990) Ron_Lutz_II_Early-1990s_001 (1)

I loved the Allegheny National Forest. Y could drive in and camp just about anywhere. The trout fishing was fun and I enjoyed the isolated valleys.

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
Awesome story Ron. That's what Jeeps are all about, unforgettable experiences.
Sponsored