Sponsored

Members old and new -- check in and wave hello!

Berg Bua

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punkn Willys
Picked up my new toy a few days ago and boy is it a sweet ride! Not only do I like it, but after riding around a few days, I actual like it better and waay nicer than than when I test drove a couple of them. It's much more refined on the road (quiet, predictable, handles well) than I could have ever imagined, yet gets down & dirty when you want it to. What a combo!

IMG_2062.jpg
Sponsored

Thetimbo2000

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
“Billy” 2018 Wrangler
Hi all, I'm Tim, I live in Dubai and six months ago I bought my JL.

First time Jeep owner, replaced my 2000-model Land Rover Discovery, which was spending way too much time in the shop, and costing way too much money.

So I got a 2018 model, which had factory installed 2" lift, Fox shocks, Method rims and Mopar cubes on the front door pillars.

And I am totally a convert! It's great as a daily drive, and loves getting out into the desert, and up into the mountains (yes, we have mountains here!).

Looking to do some gradual upgrades to increase capability, and also looking to spend more time offroad.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Waving hello giving a proper high four.
3intheair.jpg

Senior, new to this forum. In the market for a base Rubi 2 door. From New Mexico, the state where Jeeps never wear out before they're stolen. Factory ordered this XJ back in '87 from Glendale Biddulphland, the finest dealer I've ever dealt with. No longer around. Modestly built '87 5sp Dana 44 with 285,000 miles on it; stolen (pulled off driveway) last August. Had just unpacked it from a Utah/Colorado wheeling trip. Wheel boots are soon to be required by auto insurers here in NM if one buys theft coverage. This Cherokee has been on every Moab trail except Pritchett and Rusty Nail. I'm discovering that factory invoice is a meaningless pricing reference when every dealer expects and gets at least 10% over MSRP. Probably will need to settle for a TJ; always wanted a convertible.

Last edited:

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
Hi all. Been lurking on the site searching and sending a few PM’s. I figure I should introduce myself as I notice my old forum, mn-jeep, shut down some time ago. Picked myself up a ‘18 JLU Sport-S. This is my 2nd Jeep as I had a TJ which I regretted selling 15 years ago. Bounced around to multiple other cars but kept thinking about coming back. Found this JL and couldn’t say no. I look forward to getting it out on the trail.

If any local MN peeps plan on any trail rides this summer I’d love to tag along.

Cheers
A66DE122-5517-41FF-A382-EDC90CF6460C.jpeg

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
That was an awesome story until it got stolen.
I see you're in Az. Presently I'm working with AutoNation to try to snag a base 2 dr Rubi hardtop. Do you know their reputation? I've bought my last two new autos out of state. Only two families own all the dealerships in NM. Kinda like Mexico. Both told me I'd have to order a base unit before I could test drive one. All their stock is loaded to over 50 grand. KBB shows fair purchase price for a base is 38,600. I want to test a Pentastar manual Rubi. AutoNation advised me that there is a current factory hold on that drive train; might be lifted early in 2020. Everything is 8 sp automatic. Over the past 32 years, I've experienced too many no starts on remote trails to tolerate an automatic. Even on my last trip the starter froze up without warning 40 miles from pavement. Always have been able to get going even on a slight down grade with that 5sp. Wisdom is the progeny of experience.

Sponsored

RevJonG

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport
I thought I should post this as an introduction. It might be a little long for which I apologize in advance.
For over 37 years my wife and I have explored both on road and off-road riding together on a motorcycle. Our first date was writing off-road on an Air Force base on the island of Oahu in 1980. 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with colon cancer and the treatment for it has had several unpleasant side effects. Over the last 10 years as I continue to fight this battle, I have developed neuropathy especially in my feet. It started to affect my balance and eventually reach the point right no longer felt safe riding a motorcycle, something I have done since 1969! A compromise we worked out was that we would buy a Jeep and trade in our travel trailer/truck combination for a class C RV. I purchased a 2008 Jeep JK with a manual transmission which I loved. Unfortunately, I found that the combination of neuropathy in my feet and the use of the clutch would, especially in city driving or when off-road, make it difficult to walk sometimes for hours afterwards. Though we did not want to go into debt at our age we found a 2019 Jeep Wrangler with only 185 miles on it. The lady had purchased it and decided she needed a four-door. It was only 22 days old when we purchased it for almost $9000 below the sticker price!
It is definitely different than the JK. I love the eight speed automatic, it is an amazing transmission and I hope it works as well in the Jeep as it did in my 2016 Dodge ram.
I will spend a lot of time lurking in the background learning things and occasionally ask a stupid question.

RevJonG

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
I thought I should post this as an introduction. It might be a little long for which I apologize in advance.
For over 37 years my wife and I have explored both on road and off-road riding together on a motorcycle. Our first date was writing off-road on an Air Force base on the island of Oahu in 1980. 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with colon cancer and the treatment for it has had several unpleasant side effects. Over the last 10 years as I continue to fight this battle, I have developed neuropathy especially in my feet. It started to affect my balance and eventually reach the point right no longer felt safe riding a motorcycle, something I have done since 1969! A compromise we worked out was that we would buy a Jeep and trade in our travel trailer/truck combination for a class C RV. I purchased a 2008 Jeep JK with a manual transmission which I loved. Unfortunately, I found that the combination of neuropathy in my feet and the use of the clutch would, especially in city driving or when off-road, make it difficult to walk sometimes for hours afterwards. Though we did not want to go into debt at our age we found a 2019 Jeep Wrangler with only 185 miles on it. The lady had purchased it and decided she needed a four-door. It was only 22 days old when we purchased it for almost $9000 below the sticker price!
It is definitely different than the JK. I love the eight speed automatic, it is an amazing transmission and I hope it works as well in the Jeep as it did in my 2016 Dodge ram.
I will spend a lot of time lurking in the background learning things and occasionally ask a stupid question.

RevJonG
Nice post. You're right about the JL. I also drove the 8sp and believe it's the best automatic available, just don't like the mark-up. 9K below sticker...love that and congrats! My wife also has neuropathy. Takes Gabapentin. Don't wanna be around her when she misses a dose. Come out west to do some driving. San Juans in SW Colo offer a great starting point. Don't need a Rubi for those. Then there's SE Utah.... OMG! Keep fighting!

9ClimbingTo 13,140ftImogenePass.jpg

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
I have had good luck with Larry Miller, particularly their location in Surprise. Last time I checked they had at least one base v6 manual as well.
Thanks. I saw that one, White soft top. There's a Larry Miller a mile from my house; very different mentality, though. They're one of the dealers which told me to buy one before test driving. Here's an example of what we put up with in this state. See photo. Just got this in email a few minutes ago. Note, these are close to base models and last years at that!

O Boy!.jpg

RevJonG

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport
Nice post. You're right about the JL. I also drove the 8sp and believe it's the best automatic available, just don't like the mark-up. 9K below sticker...love that and congrats! My wife also has neuropathy. Takes Gabapentin. Don't wanna be around her when she misses a dose. Come out west to do some driving. San Juans in SW Colo offer a great starting point. Don't need a Rubi for those. Then there's SE Utah.... OMG! Keep fighting!

9ClimbingTo 13,140ftImogenePass.jpg
I grew up in Prescott, back when it was a smallish town. Spent a lot of time in Colorado, both at Fort Carson during the late 70's and, later, working with the homeless and poor in a compassionate ministry in Colorado Springs... The states that make up the four corners are, in my humble opinion, the most beautiful in the world. We will be out next June to do some work on the Navajo Reservation after which I plan 3 weeks off spent in Northern AZ, southern NM, and Colorado. Can't wait!

RevJonG

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport
New to Jeep. Had it for 24 hours so far and I LOVE IT. Everything about it is awesome. Cant wait for warm weather so I can strip her naked! ✌

20191204_110455.jpg
So that is what Shield's new building looks like... I use to have all my service work on my Ram done there. May have to go back.I have dealt with my current dealer 3 times and twice they have broken something :(

Sponsored

LaneSprings

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S (JL)
Occupation
Auto Insurance Agent
Hey all! Finally back into a Jeep! Been driving them for most of my life. But 2 years ago when moving back to Colorado from Hawaii, I somehow managed to let my wife convince me to sell my ‘07 JK. So for the past 2 years I’ve been driving an ‘04 Honda Civic. Ugh! But finally got the funds together and got myself an ‘18 JL (sport s). So happy to be home in a Jeep again! It’s totally stock, so I have just a few projects ahead of me (just a few...)

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
Checking in from Canada.

My name is Steve and I've owned a number of Jeeps over the years ('88 YJ, '95 YJ, '06 TJ Rubicon, '09 JK Rubicon, '12 JK Rubicon). I just picked up a 2019 JL Rubicon a few days ago. I've only put about 600 km's on it so far, but I'm liking it.........well except for the annoying stop/start that I keep forgetting to turn off :)

I also own a 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro that's currently in storage for the winter.

No1ramsfan

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
So that is what Shield's new building looks like... I use to have all my service work on my Ram done there. May have to go back.I have dealt with my current dealer 3 times and twice they have broken something :(
Yes! It's a huge upgrade. You probably know my dad then. He worked in service there for many years.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
I grew up in Prescott, back when it was a smallish town..
I remember when Phoenix was less than 300,000. Denver was 180,000 when I was 5 living in Greeley. 70% of visitors today to four corners are foreign thanks to aggressive tourism promotion. Motel prices have quadrupled in the past 10 years. Four wheelers, however, are mostly compatriots. Wife taught on Navajo res back in the '60s. Lots of memories; Happy trails to you and God bless.

MichaelR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
In the words of George Costanza, I'M BACKKKKK!!!! After a year away, I'm picking up the new Wrangler tomorrow. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to find my old posts?
Sponsored