Member market place scams

Murph-NH

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have had great success buying from members on here in the past. For the first time I made a post in the want to buy section looking for bestop soft doors. I have had 3 different members all with zero posts reach out to me to sell me some. All of these guys have been scammers looking to sell doors at would be super low prices and wanting money via things like zella and cashapp. I am in I.T. So I can see these guys a mile away but not sure others would so making a post to let others know how bad the wtb section is right now. Anyone else encounter this issue?
Sponsored

Reactions: zyt

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Not on this forum. But yesterday I received a call from a call center in India claiming to be from Amazon, saying that someone was trying to buy a $900 Mac Book using my Amazon account. He sounded like your typical call center/Tech Support person.

I am normally pretty good at sniffing scammers but he got my attention immediately with someone trying to charge $900 to my account.

He then proceeded to tell me that my account is being accessed by three different locations and he is going to help me fix it.

He asks me to go online, open Google and search for "subpremo." Then asks me what is the top hit. I see "SupRemo" and read that it is an app that enables remote access to your computer.

At this point I grow suspicious. I challenge him "Sorry, I am not going to do this. How do I even know I am talking with Amazon?" He tries really hard to keep me on the line saying that someone is about to charge $900 to my account and I needed to prevent it. I throw the phone on him.

I call Amazon right away. Of course they know nothing about this, and remind me that if anything like this were to happen, Chase --who runs their credit card-- wouldn't call me; they would send me a text or email, and that I am protected against fraudulent purchases.

It is amazing how shameless these scammers are, and how much time they are willing to put into these schemes.

NMPirate

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island
Not on this forum. But yesterday I received a call from a call center in India claiming to be from Amazon, saying that someone was trying to buy a $900 Mac Book using my Amazon account. He sounded like your typical call center/Tech Support person.

I am normally pretty good at sniffing scammers but he got my attention immediately with someone trying to charge $900 to my account.

He then proceeded to tell me that my account is being accessed by three different locations and he is going to help me fix it.

He asks me to go online, open Google and search for "subpremo." Then asks me what is the top hit. I see "SupRemo" and read that it is an app that enables remote access to your computer.

At this point I grow suspecious. I challenge him "Sorry I am not going to do this. How do I even know I am talking with Amazon?" He tries really hard to keep me on the line saying that someone is about to charge $900 to my account and I needed to prevent it. I just threw the phone on him.

I call Amazon right away. Of course they know nothing about this, and remind me that if anything like this were to happen, Chase --who runs their credit card-- wouldn't call me; they would send me a text or email, and that I am protected against fraudulent purchases.

It is amazing how shameless these scammers are, and how much time and trouble they are willing to put into these schemes.
I had this

At this point I grow suspecious. I challenge him "Sorry I am not going to do this. How do I even know I am talking with Amazon?" He tries really hard to keep me on the line saying that someone is about to charge $900 to my account and I needed to prevent it. I just threw the phone on him.

It is amazing how shameless these scammers are, and how much time they are willing to put into these schemes.
I had this same exact call the other day. I was out at lunch and just hung up on these fools. If they would only use their mind and knowledge for good instead of evil the world would be a much better place.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I once had a more fanciful scammer tell my wife, then me when she started laughing and passed the phone over, that we had won the $10,000,000 lottery and all we had to do was drive to the Honolulu airport and bring a $500 prepaid Visa gift card to pay for “the taxes.” I asked him why the taxes were only $500 on $10 million and why I would give him that and not the IRS? Eventually the conversation devolved and he got upset with me. He said “fuck you!” And I replied “fuck me? FUCK YOU! You’re a fucking scam artist and a shitty one at that!” And that pretty much ended it.

Sponsored

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Just FYI - If you ever fall victim to these scams and want to report it to the feds, you can do so by reporting or calling your local FBI office or using the online Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) or alternately your local USSS office. But take note that you must have been a victim and you must be able to prove the loss is at minimum a certain dollar amount lost before they will investigate. Many of these local office are joint task forces where both agencies work hand in hand.

They will actually follow up if you meet the minimum, especially if you call.

But yes... I get like at least 2-3 of these messages per week, hey man call bob @.... or "I have item will sell good price".

OP
OP
Murph-NH

Murph-NH

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
FoCuSTar27
First NameSpencer169JoinedJun 3, 2021Messages0Reaction score0LocationSan JoseVehicle(s)Wrangler
Today at 11:21 AM
Check with Eric Parks. 414-533-5204 He specialize in Bestop twill soft doors. I just got a correct distributor from him for a EBay. You won't find anyone more honest! You can drop him a message, because he hardly answer [email protected]

Like Quote Reply

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
You'll want to report those who contacted you directly to forum staff here on JLWranglerForums.com.

They can use the Xenforo software tools to get rid of them.

OBTW, I got a similar call from "Amazon" regarding a pending purchase of a $750 audio component about a week ago. It was fun playing with the scammer with slow responses, asking the same questions several times during the conversation and deflecting them with irrelevant statements. The twit hung up on me. How rude... :LOL:

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
I've gotten to the point that I no longer answer the phone if it's a number that I do not recognize. I figure if it's an important call they will leave a message and I'll call right back.
Sponsored