OP

Bo Ran

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
I know someone that has it and he loves it—esp here in AZ. I’ve seen him put it on and it’s secure! It’s on my to-buy list for sure.
My kit was delivered last night. As soon as I get a few hours free time, I hope to open it up to make sure all the pieces arrived. Then I will wash my Jeep so the paint is clean & dry. And then dress my Rubicon up for a drive in its new suit.
If anyone knows any dirt roads in Tarrant County Texas, let me know. I guess that question warrants a new thread to be posted to the forum?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Bo Ran

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
A couple pieces came in with some delamination. The install wasn't too bad. It is much thicker than I'd anticipated. Should provide better protection than a vinyl wrap.

20220209_154745.jpg

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
Anyone have experience with MEK magnetic body armor kit? I'm considering getting set to avoid pinstripes on my new Jeep.
I know they don't cover everything. But is it better than nothing? They do look interesting.
Let me know how well that sticks to aluminum.

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
A couple pieces came in with some delamination. The install wasn't too bad. It is much thicker than I'd anticipated. Should provide better protection than a vinyl wrap.

Jeep Wrangler JL MEK magnetic body armor kit? 20220209_154745
Beautiful!

NorCalJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (May)

Jeep Wrangler JL MEK magnetic body armor kit? 20220209_154745
Sweet! Doesn’t get any better than America, Jeeps, and V8’s!!! I just have the matte black set. And so you should be able to get a replacement panel for any delamination. Still there’s more than enough adhesion which is why I store them stacked dusty/dirty (on the side of my garage freezer). But I usually keep them on for long periods with no issues. The set I have is holding up very well - way better than my unprotected paint 😅.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bo Ran

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Sweet! Doesn’t get any better than America, Jeeps, and V8’s!!! I just have the matte black set. And so you should be able to get a replacement panel for any delamination. Still there’s more than enough adhesion which is why I store them stacked dusty/dirty (on the side of my garage freezer). But I usually keep them on for long periods with no issues. The set I have is holding up very well - way better than my unprotected paint 😅.
That's encouraging. Have you had any success getting replacement pieces? Mine are OK for now. But eventually . . . maybe?

NorCalJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (May)
That's encouraging. Have you had any success getting replacement pieces? Mine are OK for now. But eventually . . . maybe?
Oh my set was all good. But if it’s a defect then certainly check into it and at least let them know now in case if it gets worse later. The owner is supercool, product is awesome, not overpriced for what it is, and I figure they’d want to know to improve QC. I just like to support those types of businesses.

OP
OP

Bo Ran

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Oh my set was all good. But if it’s a defect then certainly check into it and at least let them know now in case if it gets worse later. The owner is supercool, product is awesome, not overpriced for what it is, and I figure they’d want to know to improve QC. I just like to support those types of businesses.
Jeep Wrangler JL MEK magnetic body armor kit? 20220220_125501

I drove it today at Bridgeport OHV. Still dirty so I don't know how well it protected my paint. But it still looks pretty sweet under caked mud. :)

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
How has it held up? In the northeast we get freezing temps so how frequently do you guys clean / reapply it?

OP
OP

Bo Ran

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
How has it held up? In the northeast we get freezing temps so how frequently do you guys clean / reapply it?
I have some bubbles from my original install. But it still looks great and stays on through car washes, power washing, highway speeds, all weather conditions, etc. But most important, it takes a beating off road and continues to protect my paint wherever kit is applied. I'm very pleased with the purchase.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bo Ran

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
BTW I just leave it on because I really like the look. I've replaced one or two small pieces. The old came off perfectly. The new went on without a problem. Those who imply it won't work on a JLUR misunderstand the manner in which it adheres. It does not require steel to bond.
Be aware it is much, much, much thicker and more durable than vinyl. It truly offers significant protection.
I realize driving through brush, narrow tree lined dirt paths, and nasty terrain is not good for one's paint job. But my experience has been that the kit has taken the brunt of the punishment and handled the task with flying colors.
No solution is perfect unless you baby your rig. But it has allowed me to enjoy the rough handling my 392 XR was designed to manage without feeling guilty about needlessly damaging the paint of my expensive investment in outdoor fun.
Hope this is helpful.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate the review- will see if anyone in the NE is leaving this on year round.

doris

First Name
doris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Yes - and I have both PPF and vinyl wrapped vehicles. Plus I've had DIY magnet armor all the way back to the 90's - but this gel back armor for aluminum is awesome for many reasons:

It sticks 3-5x better than magnet (takes two hands to remove), doesn't attract metal particulates like the magnet sheet, removable/reusable, adhesive side to paint is sealed, self installed so you save thousands over PPF/vinyl, thicker than PPF/vinyl, and only 25lbs.

While the soft gel adhesion layer is prone to very minor separation if you crease or manhandle it - it's super strong and will not effect the thick printed armor side.

But once you get a feel for it and do a clean install - you can leave it on for months. It's thick and durable enough that it will protect almost anything you throw at it even door dings. I actually store it dirty/dusty (stacked) so it's hassle free and easier to separate. The gel cleans with plain water and your hands and is good as new.

You can also just spray paint it if you decide to change the image like I did. There's nothing else on the market at this price point for what it does: reusable, protects both paint AND body. And if you have a JK make sure to ask for GEL armor - it's more than worth it.

/infomercial over ;)
where did you get your gel back armor please

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I have it. Overall, I'm happy with it but it was a lot of money. The owner was responsive to work with and was really down to earth.

I'll be honest here... Yes, I am glad I bought it. I do drive through some tight trails that would had scratched the jeep. I ended up scratching the MEK magnet and in one little spot I scratched the top coating off.

Now the bad part. The larger pieces have stayed on good. The smaller pieces (like the ones between the doors and at the bottom under the doors) collect dirt and prevents them from sticking. I've taken them off, washed them with water, tried a mild soap, and they still lost their stickiness. They've turned a bit whiteish and it seems like the stickiness is gone when that happens. I've also had an issue with small bubbles on the print. I don't know what happened, but I found that if I had water stuck on the panels for an extended period, there were little tiny bubbles that appeared. When it dried it looked better, but there's still a little dimple.

At the end of the day, I'm happy with the purchase and would buy again, despite these issues. The larger panels stick good and protect them from the pinstripes. The smaller strips help protect it, but it's not a dealbreaker if I lose/damage them beyond repair. If anything, I can use some xpel on those areas if I need it. I ended up getting matte black, and I think if I would had gotten a print, I wouldn't be too happy because it would look weird with pieces missing.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Since you’re initial question was about thoughts on the product itself and not if it would work, here’s my two cents.

Self adhesive backing sounds like a dirt magnet, and I would be worried about trapping dirt between the paint and the vinyl. However, it would protect from deeper scratches.

To me it makes sense as a tool in the garage for those nasty trails that you know are going to be overgrown. However, I would use sparingly and make sure your paint and armor are clean when applying as the potential to damage the paint by trapping dirt is there.
Here is something that can be used and available in different thicknesses 4 mm 6mm but I’m not sure if they still do have multiple choices, you can pick and choose what you want as far as a kit goes. I can tell you that the professional series installed by an Expell approved installer could cost up to $6000 on up for a full wrap. And they are also considering self healing. Just look at the front of your rear flare
Sponsored