Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Has anyone seen a way to come off the "back" of the Media USB and make a connection or a Y of sorts for a usb cable, so that area of the dash is clean? I'm thinking about bringing the cable out up on top where a phone mount should be.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Sjbgpr

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current 22JL, F33, E93 Past 09JK, 07JK, 92YJ
Here is what I did, Bought an extra media port from ebay and connected to the existing Jeep harness.
Tucked that new Media port behind the dash. Ran a USB Extension cable (M to F) from the new media port.
I did this so i don't have to leave the media port cover open or have exposed wires.

deathnitte

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 80th Anniversary
Here is what I did, Bought an extra media port from ebay and connected to the existing Jeep harness.
Tucked that new Media port behind the dash. Ran a USB Extension cable (M to F) from the new media port.
I did this so i don't have to leave the media port cover open or have exposed wires.
Could you look at this thread and tell me if you did more or less what I'm trying to do and failing? Does CarPlay work through what you did?

Sjbgpr

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current 22JL, F33, E93 Past 09JK, 07JK, 92YJ
HI Martin:
I read the whole thread. a few things to note, I have a 22 Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.with 7" NON Premium Audio using Android Auto Wirelessly via the Motorola MA-1. I tried many different ways to connect to the media hub in the back to avoid having any exposed wires. They all failed for me.
I "think" the media port acts as a a powered connection device for Data AND acts like a pass thru for data from the center console USB connector. if you disconnect the Black connector on the media port, you lose connection to the center consoe USB.
For me the easiest work around was to purchase an additional Media Port, remove it from the housing (Tape it up or Heat shrink it) tuck it behind the dash as low as possible. remove all wires from existing Media port and connect to the "Extra" media port. From there run your wires under the carpet and come out where you see fit ti connect to your USB reader. For me thats inside the Center console. Unfortunately I read this message a day too late, I had the whole dash out this weekend for paint and clear coat. Had I known I could have taken a few pictures. I did use this connector in my center console https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C75L5V3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

1 connection is for Data the another for power connected to this which spliced into the cigarette lighter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T2YFG9M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored