Media Port in Console

tactical_gnr

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
So I've had my 4xe for less than two weeks when I notice that the media (USB) port in the center console will not stay connected to anything plugged into it after a few minutes. If I unplug and try again, it might work for a few minutes, then again starts to have connection issues (the screen freezes, Apple carplay becomes unresponsive, etc.). I hate to take it to the dealership over this, so I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if there is a simple fix for this.

I was hoping I could just keep my carlinKit plugged into the center console indefinitely, but so far I have to keep it plugged into the main media port under the radio (not ideal for when doors are off). Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I keep my AA Wireless plugged into the USB inside the center console without issue.
2020 JLURD with 8.4

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
In my experience the USB ports are extremely sensitive to the quality of the USB cable used. I went through several Amazon basics and other generic cables and they were all flaky like you described but with Android Auto. I was convinced that there was something wrong with my head unit. Finally I bought the Google USB-C cable and haven't had any problems since.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I had this problem but I restarted my phone and that fixed it.

VAJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I had all kinds of problems with CarPlay in my Chevy but thankfully none in the Jeep…yet.
I’m thinking iOS hates CarPlay

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if there is a simple fix for this.
Known issue with the center console USB port. It works for some but not for others. To the best of my knowledge, there’s no known fix to date.

MrMars

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Same issue here. Very annoying. Have tried many different cables/brands and the problem still exists 🙄

Last edited:

JohnT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4-minutemiles.weebly.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
It's finally come true - that old joke about the engineer and so on... and finally the software guy says, well maybe if we just get out, then get back in again the car will start.... Jeep has succeeded. I cannot plug a USB memory device in and have it work for more than about 2 weeks before I have this problem. No - it's not the USB, I have tried many. No - it's not the formatting, I have tried them all (yup - I know how to format a USB device). No - it's not the particular port on the car, I've tried them all with the same issues. And of course, it is totally random (and sometimes if you stop, pull over, shut off the vehicle, get out, close the doors, lock it, then get back in etc... it works again!!!) and I know FOR CERTAIN, if I take it into the dealership, even if they do see the problem once, they will try it again, it will be cleared and work fine and I will get a service charge - only to find out it ain't fixed. It needs to be acknowledged, there needs to be an ABSOLUTE fix for it and whether or not the service techs can witness it not working or not, they need to have a repair/recall. Absolute trash - this system did not go through proper Verification and Validation and need to be fixed.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I will get a service charge
Why? You have a 2020 covered by warranty. Regardless of the dealership fixing the issue or not, it is warranty work that should be zero cost to you.