Media Device (USB music) resets when Jeep on/off sometimes

efitzger

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I've noticed that my USB (media device) seems to 'forget' which song/album was playing before I turn the Jeep off and reverts back to the first song of the first album (alphabetically) when I turn the Jeep back on.

Ex: I am listening to an album/music via the USB port; I stop the Jeep and turn it off. I come back between 5 mins and hours later, and intermittently it will reset, playing the first song of the first album on the media drive/USB instead of where I left it. This is intermittent, happening maybe 4-5 times out of 10 and appears totally random. I have tried every USB port, different USB memory sticks, different formats of music, etc. Sometimes I'll not drive the Jeep for a day or two and it remembers exactly where it was (like it should). Other times, I'll just move the Jeep from my garage to the driveway and five minutes later back to the garage and it resets both times.

It's pretty annoying, and I'm now totally sick of the first song of the first album on my USB flash drive! Anyone else experiencing this/ know of any fix? I'm up to date with Uconnect/ latest version.
Sponsored

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
I've noticed that my USB (media device) seems to 'forget' which song/album was playing before I turn the Jeep off and reverts back to the first song of the first album (alphabetically) when I turn the Jeep back on.

Ex: I am listening to an album/music via the USB port; I stop the Jeep and turn it off. I come back between 5 mins and hours later, and intermittently it will reset, playing the first song of the first album on the media drive/USB instead of where I left it. This is intermittent, happening maybe 4-5 times out of 10 and appears totally random. I have tried every USB port, different USB memory sticks, different formats of music, etc. Sometimes I'll not drive the Jeep for a day or two and it remembers exactly where it was (like it should). Other times, I'll just move the Jeep from my garage to the driveway and five minutes later back to the garage and it resets both times.

It's pretty annoying, and I'm now totally sick of the first song of the first album on my USB flash drive! Anyone else experiencing this/ know of any fix? I'm up to date with Uconnect/ latest version.

I have mine on shuffle, so it doesnt revert back to any particular song. It does start the count over fairly often, which is a bit annoying, but it's random so not very noticeable.

OP
OP
efitzger

efitzger

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Thanks for feedback.

I can't get a real pattern to it yet, so not sure what causes the system to reset. It is pretty annoying though, as I keep having to scroll through my albums/songs to get to the one I was on when I got out of my Jeep before parking.

From what I've read, Uconnect is pretty buggy in general, so I'm not surprised - just a little annoyed. I'm glad I didn't up to the 8.4", as the media/entertainment center is probably my least favourite feature on the JL. Very unimpressed with Uconnect, the interface in general, and still think the sound is poor for an alpine system w/ sub. Other than that, I love the heck out of my JL!!

I have mine on shuffle, so it doesnt revert back to any particular song. It does start the count over fairly often, which is a bit annoying, but it's random so not very noticeable.

Vahdettin

First Name
Vahdettin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
It happens to me all the time and like you, I've never found any pattern explaining when or why it resets to the first song. I eventually just deleted the "first" song off my USB drive so I didn't have to deal with it anymore. Or course, now I'm stuck with a new "first" song.

I bought my JLU with the 5" Uconnect and like many, upgraded to the 7" and the behavior is exactly the same for both models.

It is very annoying.

What is your first song? Mine resets to an album by 2 Unlimited so I assume the default is an alphabetical sort by folders in the root level.

OP
OP
efitzger

efitzger

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
So this weekend I’ve been installing my rear bumper / tire carrier and so I’ve moved the Jeep in and out of the garage multiple times (on/off cycles). Sat it never reset and today it’s reset every time I move Jeep. Super annoying - infotainment is definitely the weakest part of the JL platform IMO. I’ve got the 7” unconnect. My 8 year old vw GTI had a better infotainment setup!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
efitzger

efitzger

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
First album on my drive is 311.

HoosierJL

First Name
Fletch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon

I have the 8.4 and it has never forgot what was playing. It sometimes forgets which USB port I'm using, especially if I shut down the Jeep while playing the radio. I have a USB 3.0 stick in port 3 and it sometimes switches to port 1, but even then, as soon as I select USB 3 the music picks up right were it left off the last time.

Heck, even when I remove the USB drive to add new music it still starts up right where it left off once I plug it back in.

OP
OP
efitzger

efitzger

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have the 8.4 and it has never forgot what was playing. It sometimes forgets which USB port I'm using, especially if I shut down the Jeep while playing the radio. I have a USB 3.0 stick in port 3 and it sometimes switches to port 1, but even then, as soon as I select USB 3 the music picks up right were it left off the last time.

Heck, even when I remove the USB drive to add new music it still starts up right where it left off once I plug it back in.
Interesting. As I mentioned mine is all over the place. I’ve tried all USB ports, different USB drives, etc. Nothing makes a difference. Maybe Jeep is punishing us lowly 7” users!

Vahdettin

First Name
Vahdettin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Also, the problem with mine is compounded by the fact that the "do not auto-play media" setting is not working.

I've seen it reset after the ignition was off for only 10 minutes but once, the vehicle sat idle for a week but continued play from the right spot. There is just no pattern to it.

Hopefully feedback to FCA will help. I know it's not a top priority but it still is quite annoying because it seems so basic. I understand the market is moving in a direction where third-party head units are not as practical as they used to be but the manufacturers should at least do their best to fix the ones we're forced to use.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I ran across this older thread and wanted to mention there are Uconnect updates available to resolve issues like this! I experienced the exact same USB drive "forgetting everything" issue on my 7 inch unit when I first got my 2018 JLU early in 2019.

However, These updates are available ONLY at the dealership and are not available on the useless Uconnect website for the public to download. I believe this TSB #08-084-19 attached includes a number of fixes for our factory radio.
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited: