Sponsored

Measurements for STOCK Sahara rear coil springs for Air Lift 1000 fitment

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
EDIT: I got the answer by taking a trip to local dealer and doing my own measurements. For those of you who care, internal dimensions of rear coil spring for 2018 JL Sahara hardtop are 5” wide x 7” tall. This equates to Air Lift’s universal 60919 kit. Alternatively, Air Lift has told me I can use kit 60742 - as it has the same dimension bags, but is a more popular kit - and more likely that dealers will have it in inventory.

I’m trying to order a set of Air Lift 1000 air bags for the OEM rear coil springs in my JL Sahara. This is to mitigate suspension sag when I pack her up for long camping trips.

I’ve found 3 different Air Lift 1000 part numbers referenced on the web, here in the forums and via calling Air Lift directly. They tell me the only way to ensure a proper fit is to measure the interior space in the coil (HxW) while vehicle is at normal ride height.

I have measured width, but I can’t measure normal ride height because it’s mostly loaded up for a trip early next week - with a number of items that would be very time consuming to remove (roof rack, roof top tent, awning, cargo basket, Trailgater table, fridge slide, fridge, goal zero battery, etc.)

Would anyone have a few minutes to take these two measurements for me:

X = Internal height, from lower to upper spring seat
Y = Internal width, from inner edge of spring, left to right

D3663D1D-2821-4B89-95AA-0D18D667FDFC.png

Also, does anyone know if the spring size is the same across Sport/Sahara/Rubicon? Mine is a Sahara.

Hoping to order up a kit tonight so I can install this weekend for our trip next week - so any help is appreciated!
Sponsored

Last edited:

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Wish I could help you, but my Wife & I both have aftermarket springs. I do have a set of her sport springs laying around somewhere, but that won't do you any good uninstalled :(

Bump for an answer, this should be easy for anyone with a factory JL.

OP
OP
Jeeperz Kreeperz

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
EDIT: Contest below is canceled. I took a trip to a dealer to take my own measurements. For those of you who care, internal dimensions of rear coil spring for 2018 JL Sahara hardtop are 5” wide x 7” tall. This equates to Air Lift’s universal 60919 kit. Alternatively, Air Lift has told me I can use kit 60742 - as it has the same dimension bags, but is a more popular kit - and more likely that dealers will have it in inventory.

Bumping this, as I could really use these two simple measurements today.

Also, changing title of thread to reflect a whopping financial incentive to finance your next six pack of micro-brews! :beer:

First JL Sahara owner with stock rear springs, hard top, a tape measure, 5-minutes, and these two measurements posted in this thread will receive a $10 PayPal payment.

* Please make sure your Jeep is relatively empty of heavy objects, and suspension is at normal ride height (not on a lift). Thanks!

X = Internal height, from lower to upper spring seat
Y = Internal width, from inner edge of spring, left to right

EA6076A8-E737-4450-A838-0300640F9380.png

Contest begins...now! :time:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeeperz Kreeperz

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Found my answer. Had to schedule a trip to a dealer and take my own measurements. Now off to pick up my celebratory six-pack. :beer:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Jeeperz Kreeperz

Do know that had I a Sahara, I would have went right out and measured..I would have done this, right when you first posted, and before your $10 PayPal offer.

A few months ago, I needed a simple measurement in regard to the height of the tow hitch on the back of a JL Rubi. I asked / posted over and over and over and could not get one forum member off their lazy ass to go out and take a simple measurement that would require say one minute's time to do. I just could not get the measurement.

I ended up pming a couple of guys and asking them to go out and measure, which they eventually did. I needed the measurement so I could acquire a proper drop hitch for my JL that was soon to be delivered. I had a trip scheduled right after delivery and needed the proper drop, drop hitch for the trip. I wanted to have it on hand.

It is a shame that a large majority of forum member's are taker's .... are here to take, to suck up the info they need, but they will not take a second to give .. or to pay it forward, to help others here, etc.

Glad you got your measurement!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeeperz Kreeperz

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Thanks @Rhinebeck01. Appreciate your willingness to help!

And I hear ya on the fact that many others do not. Although, to the defense of many forum members here, I’ve received a TON of great advice on this forum, and a lot of specific answers to questions, and responses to private messages. So, I wasn’t too bothered that nobody responded - even when I changed the title of the thread to dangle the PayPal bonus. I know people are busy - and (hopefully) have a life that prevents them from camping out on this forum 24/7!

But I agree that we should all be a bit more mindful of giving back in terms of helping those with questions we can answer, or adding to a topic when we can, or starting a new thread, when we embark on an uncharted path in terms of something that hasn’t been written about yet.

That’s what makes these forums so useful!

Last edited:

NorCalSahara

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
@Jeeperz Kreeperz please post photos once you get these installed. I am also looking for a system to resolve the sag from carrying my camping gear. Let me know how easy they were to install. Also, are you installing a compressor and pressure gauge in the cab? I was just thinking of mounting the schrader valves by the trailer wiring harness and filling as needed with the air compressor in my garage; it would be nice to fill up on the fly though.

OP
OP
Jeeperz Kreeperz

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
@Jeeperz Kreeperz please post photos once you get these installed. I am also looking for a system to resolve the sag from carrying my camping gear. Let me know how easy they were to install. Also, are you installing a compressor and pressure gauge in the cab? I was just thinking of mounting the schrader valves by the trailer wiring harness and filling as needed with the air compressor in my garage; it would be nice to fill up on the fly though
Installation of the Air Lift kit was straightforward. I used 6” oil change ramps on front right and rear left to expand the rear right spring, and then alternated ramps to opposite corners of the Jeep to open up the rear left spring. No special tools needed - just some basic hand tools. Took me a couple hours - but I’ve never been fast at this sort of thing. Biggest slow down for me was making some custom mods to the four little “donuts” that sit on top and underneath the air bags. I took a Dremel tool to them to open up the center hole so it would seat better in the coil spring. I don’t think the Dremel was the best tool for that job, as the donut is some sort of plastic polymer that basically melts and welds back together when you put a tool to it at that RPM. Slow going for sure!

Air bags were not hard to slip into the springs at all. Fold it up as they describe, then work it in. No tools or tire spoons needed for that part of the job. Toughest part for me was getting the clamp on the bag nipple once the bag was in the coil spring. For the second one, I put the air hose and clamp on first, then put the bag in the spring. Tougher to get the bag in the spring that way, but overall, air bag #2 was an easier install.

I chose not to install a compressor. The air bags have such a small volume of air to fill them, that it can be done easily with a bicycle tire pump. I also chose to run separate valves - one to each wheel well. There is a recessed flat plastic spot, in between the wheel well and the rear bumper that worked. I’ll try to remember to post a pic of that spot. But I think I like the spot next to the license plate better - I’m just a little lazy, and the spot I chose was easier to get to.

Best bang for the buck mod I’ve done so far. Improves handling, bump absorption, looks, headlight aim, etc. when loaded up. We had 1,100 to 1,200 pounds of cargo (no towing) on this camping trip, and with about 30psi in the bags, the Jeep was not the slightest bit squatted. I failed to take any pics showing the squat without air lift kit, but even at about 600 pounds of weight in the rear, it was squatting quite a bit. Here’s a pic showing the vehicle loaded up for camping, and roughly 30 psi in the air bags, and no squat whatsoever:

BF16E97A-63B7-4B83-8A26-64DD7CD85D45.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: