MC 3.5 Gamechanger vs RK 3.5 X-Factor

Fizzlepop

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
When I first bought my JL, not many lift options were available yet, and I opted for the RC 2.5 spacer lift. I quickly found out that it wasn't going to cut it for heavy off-road use, and luckily the RK 3.5 X-Factor had been released. I've always had RK products on my jeeps, so I jumped at the chance to lift the JL. Long story short, I was disappointed in what I got for what I paid. Don't need to go into that, theres already a thread on it. I spoke to the wife, and we agreed to give the MC route a chance. Best decision I've made since purchasing the JL.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that the MC articulates better, sits higher, and binds less. The RK is definitely thicker, but having put stock equipment through some pretty obnoxious situations, not once did the stock equipment fail from contact with foreign objects. Articulation and ground clearance in my opinion are the two largest factors when I'm wheeling. The MC kit has both of those exceedingly covered.

My height sits at right about 4 inches with no additional weight added on. The driveshaft does make contact at full droop, as to be expected. The drag link, although flexed, is not flexed to the point where breaking is of concern.

I have not tested the kit off pavement yet(that will be this saturday), but on a 30 degree ramp it past my RK kit by 6 inches(I did not have bumpstops on the RK kit at the time, but after installation of bumpstops that RK supplied me free of charge articulation was less). I'm sure some of you will immediately question such a difference, as I did. Verified by two shops, my RK installation was correct. If that ramp is any indication of offroad performance, I'm in for a fun ride.

On the road I felt like the RK kit did a good job of absorbing things such as potholes, cracks, etc. Offroad, it was too soft. I found myself constantly bouncing off the bumpstops in the rear. Weight such as bodies and equipment definitely had an impact on height as well, and often times I was scraping my skids on the same places I was scraping with my spacer lift. The kit did handle all abuse i threw at it but ground clearance and articulation were definitely lacking. I went on the same trails that I did with my RC spacers, and felt no difference in CoG off camber, so I cannot comment on their rear trackbar. Perhaps 25-30 degrees isnt enough to see the benefit.

The MC kit is much more firm. Bodies, equipment, it doesnt matter. The springs just don't move. I am fully confident that additional armor and mods will have little effect on the height of this kit. You do feel more of the pavement than the RK kit, but not so much that it's annoying or inconvenient. As stated earlier, the height is every bit of 4 inches. Given the fact that I have to half-hop into the Jeep, it's clear that ground clearance is better. When fully dropped, I can literally fit my 4 year old between the top of my tire and the bottom of the fender. That's with 2 inch bumpstops front and rear, which is currently the limiting factor. I can safely drop an inch and remove the lower portion of my fenders if I wanted more. The ONLY downside I can honestly claim out of this kit is that my 35s now look ridiculous.

Another benefit I feel is worth mentioning is price. At about $500 cheaper, you get a complete kit from MC. No need to spend a dime more(unless, of course, you dont install it yourself; then you'll pay labor). The RK X-Factor prices at just under $2,400 without shocks or bumpstops. After it's all said and done, with mid-point shocks, you can expect to spend upwards of $3,000 on their kit. The MC, on the other hand, is $2,300 with shocks and bumpstops, and that's it.

While not a major factor, RK kits also require maintenance. Following their recommended schedule, you can expect to service your kit every 4 or so months, and unless you have an elbow fitting on your grease gun, requires dropping the control arms or cutting a hole in your control arm bracket. While not such a big deal, some may be a bit apprehensive on taking a hole saw to their $50k vehicle. The instructions do not mention the angled fitting that I saw, only recommend the hole saw. Keep this in mind if you purchase the kit. MC requires little to no maintenance, no special tools(other than a pipe wrench sent from the gods for their jam nuts), and no modification.

Obviously everything I've stated is opinion, and should be treated as such.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Fizzlepop

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I'd also like to add that even with the extra height, the Jeep aligned to perfect specifications with no driveline bind.

Gdub

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
Do you know how much lift you got over stock? How high are you sitting to the bottom of the fender? Did you take a base to the cup measurement with the MC kit?

OP
OP

Fizzlepop

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Do you know how much lift you got over stock? How high are you sitting to the bottom of the fender? Did you take a base to the cup measurement with the MC kit?
I'm sitting at about 44 3/4 from ground to bottom lip of fender. I dont recall what stock height is, but based on my current height, the shop that installed it said I'm at just above 4 inches.

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
That’s a huge difference.

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl rubicon 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 ram 3500
Looks really good. I'm more than likely going with a Metalcloak kit myself.

moephish2o

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado High Country, 1980 CJ7 Renegade, 2002 Trans AM WS6
i absolutely love my MC game changer lift so far. I had a hard time choosing between the RK kit and the MC, and its nice to here a first hand review from someone that has had both. Thanks for reassuring me that I made a great choice.

Now let me in on how you were able to score a set of the Rocksports. I ordered my kit in April, and was probably the first person to install the kit on a JL outside of a professional shop, and I'm still waiting on my Rocksports. And yes I know the stock shocks look very similar to the Rocksports... but looking at the flex you are getting as well as the lack of the bright gold front upper shock mount that is required to run the stock shocks, I think it is a safe bet to assume those are Rocksports you have.

here is a pic with stock shocks and the obvious front shock mount (which I kind of like the gold showing, but I bet i will like the ride of the Rocksports even more)

JeepJL_2.jpg

OP
OP

Fizzlepop

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
i absolutely love my MC game changer lift so far. I had a hard time choosing between the RK kit and the MC, and its nice to here a first hand review from someone that has had both. Thanks for reassuring me that I made a great choice.

Now let me in on how you were able to score a set of the Rocksports. I ordered my kit in April, and was probably the first person to install the kit on a JL outside of a professional shop, and I'm still waiting on my Rocksports. And yes I know the stock shocks look very similar to the Rocksports... but looking at the flex you are getting as well as the lack of the bright gold front upper shock mount that is required to run the stock shocks, I think it is a safe bet to assume those are Rocksports you have.

here is a pic with stock shocks and the obvious front shock mount (which I kind of like the gold showing, but I bet i will like the ride of the Rocksports even more)

JeepJL_2.jpg
The shop I had install it had a set they wanted to test out, and I became the test dummy. They had kits, but hadn't opened up shop to JLs yet as they were still gathering information. I havent had the opportunity to test them yet as the springs are pretty stout so they seem to take the brunt of daily driving fluctuations.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Thanks so much for a rare back to back comparison on the same Jeep. I was considering the same 2 systems but in 2.5” height. I was thinking that I’d choose Metalcloak and this helps me have confidence that’s the way to go.
Sponsored