Sponsored

MB Quart announced 'Purposely Engineered Jeep Tuned Audio Kits' (incl. 6x9 Soundbar adapter) at Jeep Beach 2021

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
I am fine without the amp upgrade. Just annoyed with the 6x9 even though its still an improvement in general.
Sponsored

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
This thread is a great find! New 2021 2-door soft top with the alpine system. Best stock system in any Jeep I've had, but would still like more...just not a $8K system more. From reading the thread, it sounds like I should skip the 6x9's unless I go all-in on the system w/ the amps.

I do want to order before the new coupon code expires - can't believe I didn't see them at Overland Expo Mountain West.

Is the benefit of speaker upgrades without amps 'enough' more? The amp install is lengthy - would love to just swap speakers (and have another project that I need to take the dash apart for, so the timing is right).

We're keeping the factory head unit. So: Amp or no Amp?

The amp install is probably the easiest part of this install. The 6.5 knee speakers in the dash is the most work.

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
The amp install is probably the easiest part of this install. The 6.5 knee speakers in the dash is the most work.
I read through the instructions - running the wires for the amps looks to be a lot of disassembly...is that not true?
I have to take the dash apart anyways so was going to install the speakers while in there.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Running the wires is really easy. Getting the dash apart, not so much. I followed another thread that showed how to do it without taking the dash apart. It was still a major PIA.

The speakers on the top of the dash are super easy to replace. If I was not going to get the amp setup, that is the only thing I would change out. Not sure I would go through the hassle of swapping the others out if you are not going to add in the amp to drive them. The stock amp and new speakers will sound marginally better. To really get a payback on the work, the amp set is the way to go.

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
I read through the instructions - running the wires for the amps looks to be a lot of disassembly...is that not true?
I have to take the dash apart anyways so was going to install the speakers while in there.

No. The amp install was really straught forward. The proamp (or whateverbi

Not really. Remove the head unit trim, then connect the proamp ( or whatever it is called, in line between the OEM harness and the head unit. It then sits in an area on the left side of the glove box.

Don't just raise the passenger seat.....completely remove it. Makes things much easier. Remove the rear passenger door and you can easily remove the seat completely.

The amp connections run along the passenger side, but underneath, the center console right to the amp.

The remaining panels just snap off.

There may be more steps, but it is much easier than the dash speakers.

Last edited:

Sponsored

i911fire

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Firefighter
I have been reading about the MB Quart upgrade. I was wondering how you guys are feeling about the upgrade now that you have had it in for a while.

TO say the least I am much less than impressed with the expensive Alpine upgrade that is in my jeep. I had a JK with the Alpine and it was much better than the new system in the JLs.

I reached out to MB Quart about the sub upgrade for the JLU. According to David Kotewa from MB Quart, they are still working on it. He told me that updates will be posted on their social media.

If any of you are here in Utah, I would love to hear how your system sounds.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I have been reading about the MB Quart upgrade. I was wondering how you guys are feeling about the upgrade now that you have had it in for a while.

TO say the least I am much less than impressed with the expensive Alpine upgrade that is in my jeep. I had a JK with the Alpine and it was much better than the new system in the JLs.

I reached out to MB Quart about the sub upgrade for the JLU. According to David Kotewa from MB Quart, they are still working on it. He told me that updates will be posted on their social media.

If any of you are here in Utah, I would love to hear how your system sounds.
I was just in Utah, but not with my Jeep as it was a group hike.

Jeep Wrangler JL MB Quart announced 'Purposely Engineered Jeep Tuned Audio Kits' (incl. 6x9 Soundbar adapter) at Jeep Beach 2021 IMG_4993.JPEG
Jeep Wrangler JL MB Quart announced 'Purposely Engineered Jeep Tuned Audio Kits' (incl. 6x9 Soundbar adapter) at Jeep Beach 2021 IMG_6654.JPG

Loved it. Quite the state for a Jeep, and even more so out on foot.

Still love the MBQuart upgrade, though it needs their sub and amp. I'll be in line when the 2 door solution is released. (Fingers crossed they don't leave us in the cold.)

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I pulled out the Alpine sub and threw in some polyfill and dynamat. Nice improvement from very short testing. The Alpine sub appears to be a very low profile quad voice coil setup. Never seen anything like it so I dont expect a sub replacement without some new wiring and/or amp from MB Quart.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I pulled out the Alpine sub and threw in some polyfill and dynamat. Nice improvement from very short testing. The Alpine sub appears to be a very low profile quad voice coil setup. Never seen anything like it so I dont expect a sub replacement without some new wiring and/or amp from MB Quart.
Can you pull the sub out from the front or do you have to pull the entire panel off? I pulled the panel off when I added in my tailgate tire mount but forgot to look closely at the sub connections.

i911fire

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Firefighter
Can you pull the sub out from the front or do you have to pull the entire panel off? I pulled the panel off when I added in my tailgate tire mount but forgot to look closely at the sub connections.
You have to take the panel off because there is a screw that comes through the back of the panel into the back of the sub's magnet.

Are you still happy with your MB Quart setup?

Sponsored

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
I wish I would have seen this thread before I tore into my sound bar and installed the 6x9s. I have the alpine upgrade and just finished the install. I thought it was weird that there wasn’t 2 plugs for each harness that was supplied. Now I have barely any low end on the sound bar and no highs. I’m pretty proficient with wiring so can I just disconnect the tweeter wires on the 6x9 and make a connector that plugs into the factory tweeter plug? Will this get me back my full range of sound? Or are there 6x9s out there that have separate tweeter and woofer wire connectors but still built into one unit? I don’t want to do anything else like upgrading amps or anything. Just wanna get my 6x9 sound bar speaker working the way it should.

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wish I would have seen this thread before I tore into my sound bar and installed the 6x9s. I have the alpine upgrade and just finished the install. I thought it was weird that there wasn’t 2 plugs for each harness that was supplied. Now I have barely any low end on the sound bar and no highs. I’m pretty proficient with wiring so can I just disconnect the tweeter wires on the 6x9 and make a connector that plugs into the factory tweeter plug? Will this get me back my full range of sound? Or are there 6x9s out there that have separate tweeter and woofer wire connectors but still built into one unit? I don’t want to do anything else like upgrading amps or anything. Just wanna get my 6x9 sound bar speaker working the way it should.
You do need to use the tweeter plug, MB Quart will even send you the correct adapter if you ask. It will not get you full range, I believe you get 400-20khz. They should have offered a 3.5" plus 4-5" speaker combo for the alpine soundbar. The 6x9 is basically useless but still sounds better than stock.

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have to take the panel off because there is a screw that comes through the back of the panel into the back of the sub's magnet.

Are you still happy with your MB Quart setup?
I still enjoy my system minus the 6x9 being a poorly thought out upgrade for us Alpine system owners. Still way better than stock though.