Sponsored

MB Quart announced 'Purposely Engineered Jeep Tuned Audio Kits' (incl. 6x9 Soundbar adapter) at Jeep Beach 2021

timannnn6

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
So I installed this system. The sound is awesome. The stock alpine sub, not so much. It can't keep up. I've tried adjusting the gains and have to run them very low as the sub is just not loud enough. I did contact MB Quart and this is what they said "the sub kit it is in the works for the wrangler, I do not know when it will be released yet.". I may look into running the 3rd amp for sub and just an aftermarket sub that'll fit into stock box.

A very nice upgrade if anyone is looking for better sound.
Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

So I installed this system. The sound is awesome. The stock alpine sub, not so much. It can't keep up. I've tried adjusting the gains and have to run them very low as the sub is just not loud enough. I did contact MB Quart and this is what they said "the sub kit it is in the works for the wrangler, I do not know when it will be released yet.". I may look into running the 3rd amp for sub and just an aftermarket sub that'll fit into stock box.

A very nice upgrade if anyone is looking for better sound.
I tried the same thing with the gains/db increase. The sub just does not put out enough volume to match the MB Quart speakers with the amp. I run out of volume adjustment on the head unit when I adjust the amp too much.

I just put an Alpine Amp and Sub in my daughters truck and it is really sounds great. Just not sure that I am willing to loose the room in the back of the Jeep. I like the idea of having the sub built in on the drivers side and that is why I am continuing to wait for the right sub. When I spoke to MB at the Expo, they said they were also looking at something to upgrade the factory sub as well. With an upgraded factory sub and one on the driver's side, that would be plenty for me. I don't need to go back to the late 80's when I had 2 15's and a couple of Zeus amps in the back of a Mustang!

dmc3csc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I put the 6X9 in yesterday. waiting for a cooler day to do the rest of the install. They sound better than the Apline SPV-65 option and I can't wait to hear the whole system with amps.

Sponsored

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
If you have the factory Alpine sub and haven't done it already I can highly recommend stuffing the enclosure with poly fill. Whilst it doesn't come near the output you'll get from a replacement sub and decent amp it does make a decent difference. It might even be enough when combined with the upgraded MB Quart speakers to satify most people.

timannnn6

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
If you have the factory Alpine sub and haven't done it already I can highly recommend stuffing the enclosure with poly fill. Whilst it doesn't come near the output you'll get from a replacement sub and decent amp it does make a decent difference. It might even be enough when combined with the upgraded MB Quart speakers to satify most people.
Has anyone replaced factory sub with aftermarket sub/amp in stock enclosure?

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
Has anyone replaced factory sub with aftermarket sub/amp in stock enclosure?

There are a few that have fitted JL Audio 10TW3. Most have been happy although I remember reading one person wasn't due to the irregular design of enclosure causing issues with the sound quality. It will be a compromise but you're never going to get audiophile quality in a Wrangler. The stock enclosure is 0.55cuft and about 4" deep so basically any shallow mount sub designed for a small enclosure should work.

timannnn6

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
There are a few that have fitted JL Audio 10TW3. Most have been happy although I remember reading one person wasn't due to the irregular design of enclosure causing issues with the sound quality. It will be a compromise but you're never going to get audiophile quality in a Wrangler. The stock enclosure is 0.55cuft and about 4" deep so basically any shallow mount sub designed for a small enclosure should work.
Thanks for reply. I'm trying to find more thump and less boom. I've done before with small enclosures but not sure how to do with what seems like a plastic sub box.

overcrawler

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Thanks for reply. I'm trying to find more thump and less boom. I've done before with small enclosures but not sure how to do with what seems like a plastic sub box.
I used soundskins to deaden the factory enclosure and stuffed it with polyfill for a night and day difference in performance. Much tighter.

Sponsored

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
I put the 6X9 in yesterday. waiting for a cooler day to do the rest of the install. They sound better than the Apline SPV-65 option and I can't wait to hear the whole system with amps.
I have the 7.0 and just put in 6x9 (MB Quart JC1-169SB) and think the setup is considerably worse. The sound is clear but the bass is lacking compared to what it was and also not as loud. Before, I could turn it to 22 and it was loud enough. Now I have to crank it to 25 to sound equivalent in loudness. The 3.5 harness wasn't used. Should I splice it?
Also, while listening to the radio, the music will shut off for a second or two, possibly the head unit is confused as to why the 3.5s are disconnected. I tried shutting it off for a few minutes and it worked for a few songs before the interruptions began. There are so many it's not bearable to listen to.

Thanks!

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
I have the 7.0 and just put in 6x9 (MB Quart JC1-169SB) and think the setup is considerably worse. The sound is clear but the bass is lacking compared to what it was and also not as loud. Before, I could turn it to 22 and it was loud enough. Now I have to crank it to 25 to sound equivalent in loudness. The 3.5 harness wasn't used. Should I splice it?
Also, while listening to the radio, the music will shut off for a second or two, possibly the head unit is confused as to why the 3.5s are disconnected. I tried shutting it off for a few minutes and it worked for a few songs before the interruptions began. There are so many it's not bearable to listen to.

Thanks!
I noticed you have the non-alpine system right? Best check with mb quart but you may need to use the 3.5" wiring. The adapter they include is meant for their amplified kit on the Alpine system. This could be the same on the non-alpine setup.

Reactions: zdr

dmc3csc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
As VerservJL, I used the wiring to the 3.5. The Alpines connected to the tweeter wiring in the sound bar.

Reactions: zdr

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
I noticed you have the non-alpine system right? Best check with mb quart but you may need to use the 3.5" wiring. The adapter they include is meant for their amplified kit on the Alpine system. This could be the same on the non-alpine setup.
Yes, non-alpine system. After driving tonight, there were no more disruptions in music.

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
This thread is a great find! New 2021 2-door soft top with the alpine system. Best stock system in any Jeep I've had, but would still like more...just not a $8K system more. From reading the thread, it sounds like I should skip the 6x9's unless I go all-in on the system w/ the amps.

I do want to order before the new coupon code expires - can't believe I didn't see them at Overland Expo Mountain West.

Is the benefit of speaker upgrades without amps 'enough' more? The amp install is lengthy - would love to just swap speakers (and have another project that I need to take the dash apart for, so the timing is right).

We're keeping the factory head unit. So: Amp or no Amp?
Sponsored