Sponsored

MB Quart announced 'Purposely Engineered Jeep Tuned Audio Kits' (incl. 6x9 Soundbar adapter) at Jeep Beach 2021

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
The kick panel speaker install was stupid difficult. You could almost feel the distain Jeep must have for their owners to require the airbag be removed in order to simply access a speaker. Removed approximately 750,000 screws and ended up with 8 extra when it was all said and done. The project was worth doing, but damn those kick panel speakers to hell :headbang:.
It can be done without removing the airbag or disassembling the entire dash. Passenger side took me about 15mins. Driver's side was a major pain in the ass in order to be able to get the speaker pod out without taking everything apart. The trick was to remove the leftmost screw on the support bar under the pod, as well as removing the dimmer switch and the module behind it. This allows one to access the topmost speaker pod screw. The other trick is to turn the pod in order to get it out and over the support bar, which one should be able to move a bit after removing the screws.
Sponsored

timabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport JLU
Oh, do the kick panel speakers get rid of that annoying vibration/resonance that is with the factory setup?
I can now say definitely that it does NOT get rid of that horrible vibration you hear when on a Bluetooth phone call. I am so disappointed. I thought that terrible sound HAD to be from the crappy speakers. Alas, it was not.

timabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport JLU
It can be done without removing the airbag or disassembling the entire dash. Passenger side took me about 15mins. Driver's side was a major pain in the ass in order to be able to get the speaker pod out without taking everything apart. The trick was to remove the leftmost screw on the support bar under the pod, as well as removing the dimmer switch and the module behind it. This allows one to access the topmost speaker pod screw. The other trick is to turn the pod in order to get it out and over the support bar, which one should be able to move a bit after removing the screws.
Well, there's a piece of data I could have used a few days ago :CWL:

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
When you install the new bits, it's important to dampen the security module because that's what is vibrating with voice channels.

0a6b16fd-1153-4a1d-80da-e0ac26bf8c48-jpeg.jpg

So while the dash is apart, now is the time to secure and pad things well to quiet them down.
Hard to see from the pic but this is the box right behind the driver lower speaker correct? Looks like you dynamat'd the bottom of it?

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Hard to see from the pic but this is the box right behind the driver lower speaker correct? Looks like you dynamat'd the bottom of it?
Jeep Wrangler JL MB Quart announced 'Purposely Engineered Jeep Tuned Audio Kits' (incl. 6x9 Soundbar adapter) at Jeep Beach 2021 IMG_3081.JPEG

Yes, this is the security box that attaches to the speaker housing.

Jeep Wrangler JL MB Quart announced 'Purposely Engineered Jeep Tuned Audio Kits' (incl. 6x9 Soundbar adapter) at Jeep Beach 2021 IMG_3085.JPEG

I put a butyl damper on the back and added foam pads to the contact points to keep it from vibrating against the speaker.

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL MB Quart announced 'Purposely Engineered Jeep Tuned Audio Kits' (incl. 6x9 Soundbar adapter) at Jeep Beach 2021 IMG_3085.JPEG

Yes, this is the security box that attaches to the speaker housing.

I put a butyl damper on the back and added foam pads to the contact points to keep it from vibrating against the speaker.
Wow! That's a bona fide if I ever saw one. Thanks a ton for the follow up pics. If I am doing this I aim to do it once.

captainkoz

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude
I just called Crutchfield, they are out of stock, but he was able to confirm that the harness that comes with the 6 x9s is set up to bring both the factory connectors into one for hookup to this full range speakers. THey will be back in stock next week, and i will give them a try.

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What did everyone use to cut the 6x9s in? It looks like a pain and I want to make this as short as possible holding a cutting tool over my head. Also worried I will cut something I shouldn't.

captainkoz

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think a Dremel tool is what most people used. That's what I plan on using. I have used it before for audio modifications in cars. they work well, just be patient, and wear eye protection.

Sponsored

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think a Dremel tool is what most people used. That's what I plan on using. I have used it before for audio modifications in cars. they work well, just be patient, and wear eye protection.
Thats kind of what I am wondering. Seems like a tough angle using a cutting disc on a dremel.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Thats kind of what I am wondering. Seems like a tough angle using a cutting disc on a dremel.
I used a Dremel 9903 Tungsten Carbide Cutter to do mine.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
What did everyone use to cut the 6x9s in? It looks like a pain and I want to make this as short as possible holding a cutting tool over my head. Also worried I will cut something I shouldn't.
Take the sound bar out, not really hard, maybe 45 minutes. Makes cutting easier, and the mess is not ALL over the rig. Something like 15 screws and two Xmas trees.

captainkoz

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
makes sense. I might just do that as well.

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installing now. Anyone know why they tell you to run the new wire from the lower pod to the dash speaker? All I get is muffled sound until I wire it like factory.
Sponsored