Sponsored

MB Quart announced 'Purposely Engineered Jeep Tuned Audio Kits' (incl. 6x9 Soundbar adapter) at Jeep Beach 2021

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
What exactly are you splicing? MB Quart sent me what was essentially a Metra 72-7902 harness only it was built to keep correct polarity. That harness was plug and play.
That's what they sent me as well. Now each 6x9 speaker had two harnesses, one that connects to the OEM mid harness and the other to the OEM tweeter one. However, there are only two connection posts on the speaker itself, which fit only one harness. So, one would need to splice one harness to connect to the other one.
Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
That's what they sent me as well. Now each 6x9 speaker had two harnesses, one that connects to the OEM mid harness and the other to the OEM tweeter one. However, there are only two connection posts on the speaker itself, which fit only one harness. So, one would need to splice one harness to connect to the other one.
You leave the "mid" harness unplugged. Works fine.

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You leave the "mid" harness unplugged. Works fine.
Out of curiosity, did you try plugging in the mid and leaving the tweeter harness unplugged? If so, how did it sound? Technically, it works "fine" with only plugging in the mid harness. However, it doesn't sound like it's getting a full range signal. I'd be curious if your approach winds up losing some low end but sounds better cause the highs are not lost. Unless I'm mistaken, there's a crossover built into the OEM Alpine amp that separates the signal range.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Out of curiosity, did you try plugging in the mid and leaving the tweeter harness unplugged? If so, how did it sound? Technically, it works "fine" with only plugging in the mid harness. However, it doesn't sound like it's getting a full range signal. I'd be curious if your approach winds up losing some low end but sounds better cause the highs are not lost. Unless I'm mistaken, there's a crossover built into the OEM Alpine amp that separates the signal range.
I have the 8.4 with Alpine and got no sound with mid plugged in at sound bar. Small tweeter plug only works great with my Infinity 6x9 speakers. If it is missing lows I can't tell. Balance set dead center the rears over power the front a little. I did pack poly-fil in the middle of the sound bar between the two speakers.

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the 8.4 with Alpine and got no sound with mid plugged in at sound bar. Small tweeter plug only works great with my Infinity 6x9 speakers. If it is missing lows I can't tell. Balance set dead center the rears over power the front a little. I did pack poly-fil in the middle of the sound bar between the two speakers.
I wonder if there's a difference in the Alpine amps between my 2018 and your 2020, since my 6x9's work fine with just the mid wires connected. I vaguely recall someone mentioning in another thread that if there's no sound after a speaker upgrade, the radio fuse needs to get pulled in order to reset the system. I think that person got no sound after turning the radio on with just one sound bar speaker connected, which triggered some sort of protection at the amp level.

I poly-filled my sound bar as well as put Dynamat behind the speakers. So, my lows are really good. Maybe it's just my imagination because of that, but the highs definitely seem less pronounced.

Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I wonder if there's a difference in the Alpine amps between my 2018 and your 2020, since my 6x9's work fine with just the mid wires connected. I vaguely recall someone mentioning in another thread that if there's no sound after a speaker upgrade, the radio fuse needs to get pulled in order to reset the system. I think that person got no sound after turning the radio on with just one sound bar speaker connected, which triggered some sort of protection at the amp level.

I poly-filled my sound bar as well as put Dynamat behind the speakers. So, my lows are really good. Maybe it's just my imagination because of that, but the highs definitely seem less pronounced.
I pulled negative cables from battery during install.

timabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport JLU
I installed the non-amp version in my 2019 JLU today. Significant upgrade in sound. I also upgraded from the 5" to the 8.4" head unit (bought the head unit and HVAC stack from Infotainment).

The head unit was a pretty straight-forward plug and play. Infotainment sent a OBD Genie to program the car to accept the head unit and new HVAC controls. Piece of cake.

The kick panel speaker install was stupid difficult. You could almost feel the distain Jeep must have for their owners to require the airbag be removed in order to simply access a speaker. Removed approximately 750,000 screws and ended up with 8 extra when it was all said and done. The project was worth doing, but damn those kick panel speakers to hell :headbang:.

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
How long for the non amp install?

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Does this work for those of us who have the base stereo? I.e. non-Alpine

I’m looking to improve my sound quality and volume. Can’t hear shit with the doors off at speed

timabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport JLU
How long for the non amp install?
Dash: five minutes.
Kick panel: three hours. Luckily, I have a very well equipped workshop so I had the necessary trim tools, right angle screwdrivers, and wobble bits. I would hate to attempt this job without the proper tools.
Sound Bar: two hours. This job is pretty easy as long as you have a Dremel with a good sharp cutting bit. MBQuart recommends placing painter's tape on the opening and tracing the new opening using the mounting bracket as a template. I just mounted the metal mounting bracket and cut the opening with my Dremel. Much faster.

The sound is much louder and clearer. Significant upgrade for the money. The only thing I might add later is a sub under the passenger seat. I had this in my JK and loved it. Not sure how I would wire it though considering I have all stock wiring harnesses. A problem for another day....

Sponsored

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ugh, 5 hours means 7 for me since I do everything ass backwards. Thanks for the feedback!

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, do the kick panel speakers get rid of that annoying vibration/resonance that is with the factory setup?

timabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport JLU
Oh, do the kick panel speakers get rid of that annoying vibration/resonance that is with the factory setup?
I'm going to say that I think so. I haven't really blasted them yet but they definitely are clearer and sound amazing. Knowing what I know now, I wish I had added some baffle material to the speaker box. Not because I think the MBQuart needs it but because I will NEVER EVER remove these speakers again and it would have been a bit of insurance.

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for that. The vibration in phone calls is mind numbingly awful. I think I will grab some dynamat since I am only opening this up once.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
When you install the new bits, it's important to dampen the security module because that's what is vibrating with voice channels.

0a6b16fd-1153-4a1d-80da-e0ac26bf8c48-jpeg.jpg

So while the dash is apart, now is the time to secure and pad things well to quiet them down.
Sponsored