Maybe looking for second Jeep? Questions and thoughts

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Why do you want a Gladiator instead of a JLUR? You are willing to acquire a trailer.

A JLUR would be a better option for off roading. In some situations, the Gladiator will get hung up since it is a longer vehicle.
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
We have a JLU Sahara already. The main reason for switching vehicles is because 3/4 of the Jeep payment would be made for us. So the questions were around if I needed or could use the Rubicon model, and was looking for opinions on the diesel vs the V6.
Our JLU is the 2.0T, and its been a great little motor. It actually rips pretty good, and gets up to speed real fast. But that's not available in the Gladiator.
I've toyed with swapping my Ram with a Gladiator in the past. At the end of the day, comfort and interior size is probably what's really holding me back.

For $4k, or what ever it is now, the Diesel is a tougher decision, if you are talking about a $1k difference due to the employer contribution, it'd be almost a no brainer.

I never really looked at anything other than a Rubicon, but a max tow with the wide 44s could be a pretty good deal if you don't need/want the Rubicon frills.

Off road with big tires, especially if you don't regear, the 4:1 low range is going to make a pretty big difference.

SFDemo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara EcoDiesel
If you're going to tow that much weight, get the Gladiator. My brother in law loves his, and tows his boat with it frequently. I have a JLU Sahara with the diesel, and love it. It tows my boat (pontoon, so fairly light) and my trailers, also under the 3500 weight limit. If I want a travel trailer or bigger boat, the Gladiator is it, and with the diesel and Rubicon package. Where I live, the tow package comes with limited slip, which is better for the snow, mud at the farm and gravel roads I travel than a low range only locker. The Gladiator has a Max Tow package, too. All the diesels come with 3.73 gears, and I don't think you'll need to change unless you consider 37" tires. 35's don't phase the diesel or the mileage.

OP
OP

69charged

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler unlimited 2.0
Why do you want a Gladiator instead of a JLUR? You are willing to acquire a trailer.

A JLUR would be a better option for off roading. In some situations, the Gladiator will get hung up since it is a longer vehicle.
Only reason for a Gladiator is the box I guess. We have a JLU, and its great. I just think I'd like the box more, and I doubt I would ever off road that much that I would need the shorter wheelbase. Heck, as it is, my F150 is a crew cab long box. There's no off roading in that thing.
I've been on the lookout for a used 21 Gladiator Rubicon diesel, and I'm waiting on a possible buy back from the dealer I bought my truck from to see where this goes. I've found a few used ones in the exact configuration I want, (or think I want!) but the numbers have to be right on my truck. I paid 68 out the door for my truck, and one dealer offered me 46, so that's not going to happen. In todays used market, I would have expected better than that! If it was 55-56, I think I'd have already done it.
There is a white Willy's diesel at the dealer we bought our 22 JLU at, but not a fan of white. And they will give it to me for 2% over invoice. There is also a Granite Crystal Rubicon there and its a V6. Our JLU is sting gray so I'd like to stay with that and have matching vehicles. My Ford is called Leadfoot Gray, and is a close match to my wife's JLU.
Thanks all for the replies. It may be narrowing down what I want, or......making the choice in model harder!! đź‘Ť

OP
OP

69charged

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler unlimited 2.0
I've toyed with swapping my Ram with a Gladiator in the past. At the end of the day, comfort and interior size is probably what's really holding me back.

For $4k, or what ever it is now, the Diesel is a tougher decision, if you are talking about a $1k difference due to the employer contribution, it'd be almost a no brainer.

I never really looked at anything other than a Rubicon, but a max tow with the wide 44s could be a pretty good deal if you don't need/want the Rubicon frills.

Off road with big tires, especially if you don't regear, the 4:1 low range is going to make a pretty big difference.
Matt, when you say wide 44s, and max tow, are you referring to the Mojave model that has wider axles?

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Matt, when you say wide 44s, and max tow, are you referring to the Mojave model that has wider axles?
No, the Max Tow that’s on the Sport (not sure if it’s available on other trims). I believe they are Rubi width D44s and 4.10s.

Thinking about it, I’m actually not sure if it’s available with the Deisel.

Last edited:

pfletcher229648

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR w/SOT, 2024 JLUR X w/SOT(On Order)
Occupation
CIO
So, buying a Jeep is never the financially responsible thing to do, but damn it man, if someone was offering to pay a portion for me to chuck my current vehicle for another Jeep Wrangler, I’d already have the order placed.

Right you can always pull a trailer to haul stuff, that’s what I tell myself every day.
Sponsored