MaxTrax Mounting Pins on Thule Wing Bar Evo

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
I have a pair of MaxTrax recovery boards on order and would like to mount them on my Thule Wing Bar Evo using the MaxTrax mounting pins. MaxTrax says this won't work, but I'm thinking it might be possible to modify the mounting pins to work.

I don't imagine there are too many people who have tried this, but I'm hoping maybe somebody has and can share their experience.

Thanks

Myron
Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I have a pair of MaxTrax recovery boards on order and would like to mount them on my Thule Wing Bar Evo using the MaxTrax mounting pins. MaxTrax says this won't work, but I'm thinking it might be possible to modify the mounting pins to work.

I don't imagine there are too many people who have tried this, but I'm hoping maybe somebody has and can share their experience.

Thanks

Myron
I considered a roof rack just for fuel and my Maxtrax. I came up with alternatives. Maybe this one might appeal to you. With my XL Cargo Gama bags, I was able to mount mine inside only taking up unused space.

Jeep Wrangler JL MaxTrax Mounting Pins on Thule Wing Bar Evo 4CC2CF8E-983C-4636-928C-28821FC39EBF

748B025A-65F7-4F73-89CE-DB2125C2955E.jpeg

C7994464-22C9-46C6-AB09-62F721ABC4F0.jpeg

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks

Myron
I have some options for that. Click on the website link in my profile to the left. Go to the shop link and find RacksBrax awning and accessory mounts. You can use the HD Accessory plate and secure it by dropping a nut into the t-track on your wing bar evo. i'm about to do the same thing with my yakima jetstream bars.

I also stock the spare tire mount for the Maxtrax if interested in an alternative.

OP
OP
Myron

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, thank you @DadJokes and @Overland_Texas !

I don't actually have my MaxTrax boards yet, so it hadn't occurred to me that they might be practically stored inside. I like that for security too.

And I will definitely check out your solutions, Overland_Texas.

Thanks again!

Myron

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Wow, thank you @DadJokes and @Overland_Texas !

I don't actually have my MaxTrax boards yet, so it hadn't occurred to me that they might be practically stored inside. I like that for security too.

And I will definitely check out your solutions, Overland_Texas.

Thanks again!

Myron
No problem. A $60 Rightline Gear bag, some heavy duty twisty ties and industrial strength Velcro is all I needed besides the Gama bags. Under $300 for it all I think. A 1200-1500 Rhino rack etc was avoided. I got the Rebel Offroad Blackout kit to carry 4 gals extra fuel. It replaces the glass windows in the hardtop. $730

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I considered a roof rack just for fuel and my Maxtrax. I came up with alternatives. Maybe this one might appeal to you. With my XL Cargo Gama bags, I was able to mount mine inside only taking up unused space.

Jeep Wrangler JL MaxTrax Mounting Pins on Thule Wing Bar Evo C7994464-22C9-46C6-AB09-62F721ABC4F0

Jeep Wrangler JL MaxTrax Mounting Pins on Thule Wing Bar Evo C7994464-22C9-46C6-AB09-62F721ABC4F0

THANKS!! That was a super useful idea. I just ordered the gear bag.

OP
OP
Myron

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My MaxTrax boards arrived, and I had the opportunity to mount them on the Thule Wingbar Evo rack today. After considering all my options and not really liking any of them, I observed that the length of the threaded part of the MT mounting pins would perfectly extend right through the Thule wing bars, and be neither too long nor too short. So even though it seemed like a crime to drill holes through brand new Thule load bars, I decided to do it. And it turned out great!

Key to this solution was realizing that putting two 1/2" holes in the extruded aluminum wing bar would in no way compromise its strength. The things have a very robust shape, with integral channels that add strength, and of course the wing shape itself is inherently strong. It was simply unimaginable to think that adding a couple small holes would cause them to buckle.

To do this, you need to be able to measure and drill with precision, to the nearest millimeter or so. The mounting pins come with the exact measurements you need. The key dimension is 270 mm, which is the distance the two mounting pins need to be apart from each other on the same wing bar. Then, the two pairs of mounting pins have to be 890 mm apart (ie, the distance between load bars). I was a little concerned that I wouldn't have this distance on my 2-dr JL, but it turns out that there is *exactly* enough distance on the rain gutter to accommodate this spacing without having to attach one of the Thule load bars to the Freedom panels. It's quite the perfect fit, as though either the Jeep factory or MaxTrax planned it.

Because the holes you're going to drill into the wing bars have to be centered in the t-channel and drilled exactly vertically, I put the wing bar into a table vise and then bolted the table vise to the drill press. I then used a transfer punch the width of the t-channel to mark the exact center, measured carefully, drilled pilot holes, then drilled 1/2" holes. Then all you have to do is install the mounting pins and tighten them up. Replace the rubber strips that cover the t-channels, trimming around the mounting pins, and you're done.

Some pics:

4fbng5j.jpg

7AGHyNL.jpg

SnMAdDF.jpg

vIUddz8.jpg

bCALglP.jpg

aHrSQFK.jpg

And finally, my helpers:

U06k3qn.jpg

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My MaxTrax boards arrived, and I had the opportunity to mount them on the Thule Wingbar Evo rack today. After considering all my options and not really liking any of them, I observed that the length of the threaded part of the MT mounting pins would perfectly extend right through the Thule wing bars, and be neither too long nor too short. So even though it seemed like a crime to drill holes through brand new Thule load bars, I decided to do it. And it turned out great!

Key to this solution was realizing that putting two 1/2" holes in the extruded aluminum wing bar would in no way compromise its strength. The things have a very robust shape, with integral channels that add strength, and of course the wing shape itself is inherently strong. It was simply unimaginable to think that adding a couple small holes would cause them to buckle.

To do this, you need to be able to measure and drill with precision, to the nearest millimeter or so. The mounting pins come with the exact measurements you need. The key dimension is 270 mm, which is the distance the two mounting pins need to be apart from each other on the same wing bar. Then, the two pairs of mounting pins have to be 890 mm apart (ie, the distance between load bars). I was a little concerned that I wouldn't have this distance on my 2-dr JL, but it turns out that there is *exactly* enough distance on the rain gutter to accommodate this spacing without having to attach one of the Thule load bars to the Freedom panels. It's quite the perfect fit, as though either the Jeep factory or MaxTrax planned it.

Because the holes you're going to drill into the wing bars have to be centered in the t-channel and drilled exactly vertically, I put the wing bar into a table vise and then bolted the table vise to the drill press. I then used a transfer punch the width of the t-channel to mark the exact center, measured carefully, drilled pilot holes, then drilled 1/2" holes. Then all you have to do is install the mounting pins and tighten them up. Replace the rubber strips that cover the t-channels, trimming around the mounting pins, and you're done.
This is very cool. I'm going to give it a try with my Mopar roof rack.

OP
OP
Myron

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! Good luck with your project. :)

Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Nice. Well, I don't have a drill press so freehand it is

Jeep Wrangler JL MaxTrax Mounting Pins on Thule Wing Bar Evo IMG_20220511_122428_696
Sponsored