Sponsored

maximus-3 vs rhino rack

RIP11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
looking at a roof rack for a RTT plus an awning and whatever else..... between the maximus 3 with pioneer platform and the rhino rack with pioneer platform what are the advantages or disadvantages of each. i realize the maximus 3 has better carrying load capacities, but is there anything else that makes one better than the other?
Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
looking at a roof rack for a RTT plus an awning and whatever else..... between the maximus 3 with pioneer platform and the rhino rack with pioneer platform what are the advantages or disadvantages of each. i realize the maximus 3 has better carrying load capacities, but is there anything else that makes one better than the other?
I just went through this and bought the Vortex bars with Rhino Rack Backbone. You won’t have a lot of extra mounting space with the Pioneer with a RTT (none with our tent), plus you can mount the awning on the vortex bars, cheaper, and less weight. You can always buy a Pioneer later to swap out if you don’t like the bars.

The backbone wasn’t too hard to install but you’ll probably end up flinging some weird sized M6 x 16mm od washers around and they don’t include any extras. Getting them between the backbone plates and the roof is an absolute pain in the ass with the roof sealant gooping everywhere.

KeJaCo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1999 WJ
Occupation
SCADA Field Service Tech
I just went through this and bought the Vortex bars with Rhino Rack Backbone. You won’t have a lot of extra mounting space with the Pioneer with a RTT (none with our tent), plus you can mount the awning on the vortex bars, cheaper, and less weight. You can always buy a Pioneer later to swap out if you don’t like the bars.

The backbone wasn’t too hard to install but you’ll probably end up flinging some weird sized M6 x 16mm od washers around and they don’t include any extras. Getting them between the backbone plates and the roof is an absolute pain in the ass with the roof sealant gooping everywhere.
Did you get the 2 or 3 bar setup?

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Did you get the 2 or 3 bar setup?
We went with 3.

Check the manual, they only provide weight ratings for the 3 bar setups and they are lower than advertised (plus you need to come off some for off road use). We asked the Manufacturer for a 2 bar rating and they don’t have one.

Helajames

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
Have maximus 3 set up with batwing awning and James Baroud tent on pioneer platform. Would recomend going with bars over platform for weight and ease of mounting. Only 2 bars but the the mounts are direct tie in to roll cage.

Sponsored

nicizit

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Go with Maximus-3, Rhino-Rack customer service is absolute garbage!

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
I went with Rhino Rack Backbone as it is easier to take the top on and off. I also went pioneer platform over bars for trips to home depot and hauling lumber/plywood. Rhinorack has a neat accessory that is a roller bar that attaches to the back end of the platform so you can easily load lumber, kayaks, etc onto the roof.
Sponsored