First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Did you try using a new cobalt bit to enlarge the middle hole to 1/2"?
Thanks for the photos. Takes a lot of the mystery out of where the pieces go.

Would you mind giving me your opinion on if that would interfere with the installation of the rock hard winch plate? Assuming tow loops are on the outside of the frame rails. Jump to 2:49 on this video. https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90205.htm
It looks like it would possibly interfere with the top bolt for the Maximus frame tie in. I purchased 2 cobalt bits (1/2") and drilling was going great. Drilling out the top bolt holes (4 of them) was pretty easy since there was already a starter hole and new drill bits. The middle hole has to bore through maybe 1/2" thick steel. My bits were absolutely cutting but IMO it would have been maybe a half hour per hole (x4). It's about 100 degrees here & I wasn't patient enough. I did email Joe @ Maximus, if he says it must be the larger bolt I guess I'll go back. :(
Sponsored

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
Did you use cutting fluid and slow speed?
What bumper are you using?

Last edited:

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Did you use cutting fluid and slow speed?
What bumper are you using?
Yes cutting fluid no slow speed. All I have is a old electric drill & I believe it’s probably 1500 rpm’s

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Sorry I missed the bumper question. Just a stock bumper. My JL is a pretty much stock Sport Altitude. I upgraded to a 10" head unit for the radio/nav right after I got it but otherwise nothing else.

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It looks like it would possibly interfere with the top bolt for the Maximus frame tie in. I purchased 2 cobalt bits (1/2") and drilling was going great. Drilling out the top bolt holes (4 of them) was pretty easy since there was already a starter hole and new drill bits. The middle hole has to bore through maybe 1/2" thick steel. My bits were absolutely cutting but IMO it would have been maybe a half hour per hole (x4). It's about 100 degrees here & I wasn't patient enough. I did email Joe @ Maximus, if he says it must be the larger bolt I guess I'll go back. :(
Yes after looking at the video and the non hoop side of the frame end, I can see that the top bolt would interfere. The winch plate bracket uses the center of the three bolts. One would need to leave the top bolt out, install the winch plate and bumper then drill through the top hole into and through the winch plate bracket. I wonder how that would work with aftermarket bumpers unless they only bolt to the existing bumper mounts.

Kit 5.jpg

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link

I talked to Josepph yesterday about my install ( I completed last night) that middle bolt he said was critical to be 10mm or better. I two started to dril lit out and got nowhere fast. Then I decided to step drill it starting with a 3/8" bit and rotating and wobbling it, then moved to a 7/16th bit doing the same, it took all of 3-4 minutes to drill eacj of them.

I also moved min inside the frame however that horizontal bracket on the outside of the fame horn preventted the tow loop to sit flush against the horn and tie in bracket. So I ended up grinding/Hacking it down a bit for that perfect fit. Kind of hard to see here. I then had to prime and paint that area.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops IMG_0881

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops IMG_0878

I had another issue as there is a gap in front of the frame horn where the tow look does not sit flush against the frame, that gap is about the size of a thich washer. That may be a issue and in part what cracked my frame horn in the first place. so I wedged in a thich washer to there was no potential for that unsuported gap to potentially break the frame horn.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops IMG_0885

Also note the outside tow loop to tow loop dimension was 26-7/8" curious what yours is?

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops IMG_0899

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yes after looking at the video and the non hoop side of the frame end, I can see that the top bolt would interfere. The winch plate bracket uses the center of the three bolts. One would need to leave the top bolt out, install the winch plate and bumper then drill through the top hole into and through the winch plate bracket. I wonder how that would work with aftermarket bumpers unless they only bolt to the existing bumper mounts.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops IMG_0899
I have a winch with my Barricade Allow series 3/4 bumper there was NO interferance and I also mounted mine insuide the frame this time.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops IMG_0878

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops IMG_0900

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sweet. Your tow light connector goes through an existing slot in the dam? Dam come with the bumper?
Edit. I see now that the slots are part of the bumper. What about the dam OEM or aftermarket?

Last edited:

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Sweet. Your tow light connector goes through an existing slot in the dam? Dam come with the bumper?
Edit. I see now that the slots are part of the bumper. What about the dam OEM or aftermarket?

That air dam worked out perfectly. This has been a great bumper, it is also all Aluminum which helps reduce the front end weight. I likes the bumper so much that I had it on my 2018 JL and swapped it to my 4xe. The best part was I was able to keep and use the plastic splash guard below the bumper.

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you have any trouble drilling out the center bolt hole?

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Did you have any trouble drilling out the center bolt hole?

No use a 3/8 bit to start then wobble it to reem the hole till a 7/16 will just fit then do the same with it till you get the whole the size of the bolt. You cannot drill it straight on the tip of the bits do not have the cutting power. It was easy took maybe 2-3 minutes each. Note: those nuts you are drilling out behind the horn they are only pressed on too much drilling pressure they will pop out which if that happens it is not an issue just hold it in place till when you bolt everything on.

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Wow.....glad I found this thread.

I purchased these several years ago for my 2019 JL, and can assure you, this new attachment was not offered. I have towed several times over the last two years, but I'll need to get under the Jeep tomorrow, and look for any damage.

Sure would have been nice for Maximus to contact prior purchasers, and let them know about this issue!

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Pulled everything apart today, and luckily no damage, or bent components, (I have the old 5/8" brackets).

I'll be calling them tomorrow to ask about the tie-in brace plates, and the tie rod.

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Hi Lightsout
My outer is right at 27". I also had to do some light grinding to remove some material for the tow loops to seat properly on the inside mount. I have towed a few times with the inside mount & I much prefer it. My next trip isn't for about a month so I might drill out them center holes again using your method.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Wow.....glad I found this thread.

I purchased these several years ago for my 2019 JL, and can assure you, this new attachment was not offered. I have towed several times over the last two years, but I'll need to get under the Jeep tomorrow, and look for any damage.

Sure would have been nice for Maximus to contact prior purchasers, and let them know about this issue!
Hi Lightsout
My outer is right at 27". I also had to do some light grinding to remove some material for the tow loops to seat properly on the inside mount. I have towed a few times with the inside mount & I much prefer it. My next trip isn't for about a month so I might drill out them center holes again using your method.
I too had to grind out that horizontal bracket and weld on both sides about 3/16" not a big deal though. I am also going to drill my loop out as pictured and add another frame bolt as pictured here
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops 2nd frame bolt
Sponsored