Sponsored

Maximus-3 rhino-rack - Hardtop Removal tips?

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
About my Maximus-3 rhino-rack. Does anyone have some good tips on how to remove the hardtop? It seems easy enough to remove the bolts in the rear, but extremely difficult to remove the bolts at the front.
Sponsored

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I had the very same problem.

I ended up getting a Tite-Reach wrench. Off of Amazon. you want to get the metal one in 3/8” not the cheap plastic do it yourself model. It fits in there and it makes the job pretty fast.
You may need to sort through your sockets to find one that is the right height. Not too long not too short but I found that a common craftsman one Worked just fine. A ratcheting wrench doesn’t have enough resolution to work.

See here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jlu-rhino-rack-backbone-vs-maximus.39289/#post-901763

Last edited:
OP
OP
laueddy

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the very same problem.

I ended up getting a Tite-Reach wrench. Off of Amazon. you want to get the metal one in 3/8” not the cheap plastic do it yourself model. It fits in there and it makes the job pretty fast.
You may need to sort through your sockets to find one that is the right height. Not too long not too short but I found that a common craftsman one Worked just fine. A ratcheting wrench doesn’t have enough resolution to work.

See here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jlu-rhino-rack-backbone-vs-maximus.39289/#post-901763
Thank you. Does this look like a good one to try?

https://www.amazon.com/Professional...words=Tite-Reach+wrench&qid=1583947477&sr=8-8

OP
OP
laueddy

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Did that solve your issue? I found the exact same issue. Im surprised Maximus doesn't state anything about this or send one with.
Well they didn’t even supply any torque specs at least with my kit so it’s a figure it out as you go kinda thing. You can get it done with a wrench but it’s difficult.

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I have a set of these flexhead ratchet spanners, have used them for years. Absolutely perfect for tight spots, especially taking the ladders off the Maximus rack.

They have a set at Home Depot...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GEARWRE...TD4snhsEprT5mkR9esBoCtu0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 rhino-rack - Hardtop Removal tips? IMG_6577.JPG
A wrench like that doesn't have enough resolution in the gear head to fit in the tight spot. You MIGHT be able to get on top of one click each time. I tried to find a wrench with a finer resolution but I couldn't.

Ranger1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited 2019
A wrench like that doesn't have enough resolution in the gear head to fit in the tight spot. You MIGHT be able to get on top of one click each time. I tried to find a wrench with a finer resolution but I couldn't.

Does the job nicely for me when I take the top off...

IMG_6164.JPG

Sponsored

Cougar8000

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 4door
when you guys removing hardtop, do you have to get all the plastic out around overhead speaker box?

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
when you guys removing hardtop, do you have to get all the plastic out around overhead speaker box?
No. You just need to be able to reach between the top and the top of the speaker box. Its tight space to work in. What I found works for me is an battery powered 3/8 ratchet with a long neck. Harbor freight has one. I have the AC DELCO unit and it works great. I fought with this problem for a while. I know the post above Ranger1 used a ratchet wrench, I couldn't get it work without being a frustrating long process. I think my ratchet wrench didn't have enough teeth on the wrack and I couldn't get enough swing in the wrench to advance the teeth. Putting them back in with a wrench like that was even harder.

Cougar8000

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 4door
Thank you, I am actually working on a solution for this problem that will remove the need to reach in there.

Cougar8000

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 4door
absolutely. once I have it figured out
Sponsored