Not open for further replies.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I got my new tow loops & tie bar today & plan to dig in this weekend. I did call Joseph @ Maximus to discuss moving the loops to the inside vs. outside of the frame horns & I think I will do that. He wants me to be sure I'm no narrower than the industry base plate widths. I checked BO is 24", Demco is 22.25, Etrailer brand? 19", couldn't figure out Roadmaster. Anyway my loops are currently @ about 34" spread & I would sure think I'll still be in the acceptable zone after using inside mount. Of course the tie bar will now be worthless until it's cut. Safe travels to Alaska!

Makes a lot of sense to move to the inside. I will say Joseph and maximus have been very good dealing with this issue and they are very proactive in rectifying. I am very impressed with them.
Sponsored

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Makes a lot of sense to move to the inside. I will say Joseph and maximus have been very good dealing with this issue and they are very proactive in rectifying. I am very impressed with them.
I have another question. My clevis's (purchased from NSA) no longer work with the thicker 3/4" tow loops. What clevis's are you using & where did you get them?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I have another question. My clevis's (purchased from NSA) no longer work with the thicker 3/4" tow loops. What clevis's are you using & where did you get them?
Since I had the 5/8 Maximus originally and upgraded to the 3/4" I called NSA and asked if I could have the gap widened to 3/4" (only another 1/8") they said no problem. I had a local machine shop do it for $40. Joseph at Maximus also offered to do it for me if I sent them to him. It was easier and faster to get done locally.

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Since I had the 5/8 Maximus originally and upgraded to the 3/4" I called NSA and asked if I could have the gap widened to 3/4" (only another 1/8") they said no problem. I had a local machine shop do it for $40. Joseph at Maximus also offered to do it for me if I sent them to him. It was easier and faster to get done locally.
Great that's what I will do as well.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
I ordered the tie rod. 3rd season and have not had any problems, but, I don't want any. I'm not thrilled. Went to put in on before a trip and it's too long. I'm less thrilled now.

Sponsored

B&ZRubi

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Website
flyingmpartners.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubicon JL
Occupation
Retired
I am in the disappointed camp. Purchased the tow loops right when they came out thinking this was the best option to flat tow my JL Jeep. I thought they were the solution until after a few very hard breaking situations I found the loops bent outward and found cracks in the frame at the attachment points. Found a shop that welded the cracks and straighten the loops and put me back on the road.
The Memorial Day sale brought me back to the Maximus site to read all of these posts and to now see a new bar for $100 that may have prevented the issues I have experienced. I am very disappointed in Maximus that they did not stand behind their product and contact previous owners of the loops to let them know of the possible issues and offer the tie rod to prevent issues. Now I am back to doing research on a better way to connect my Jeep to my tow bar.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I am in the disappointed camp. Purchased the tow loops right when they came out thinking this was the best option to flat tow my JL Jeep. I thought they were the solution until after a few very hard breaking situations I found the loops bent outward and found cracks in the frame at the attachment points. Found a shop that welded the cracks and straighten the loops and put me back on the road.
The Memorial Day sale brought me back to the Maximus site to read all of these posts and to now see a new bar for $100 that may have prevented the issues I have experienced. I am very disappointed in Maximus that they did not stand behind their product and contact previous owners of the loops to let them know of the possible issues and offer the tie rod to prevent issues. Now I am back to doing research on a better way to connect my Jeep to my tow bar.
baseplate or tow loops need to be tied directly to the frame, unfortunately there are only two options (a third I will elaborate at the end of this). Those two are the Blue OX and Roadmaster. The Blue ox is the most invasive and looks the worst of the bunch but seems to be a solid performer. The Roadmaster is a little more sleek and hidden, but you do need to drill your frame as part of the install (just make two existing holes larger). Be aware that NONE of the bumper options tie to the frame. Jeep engineers have said you cannot tow from the bumper connection on a JL or JK. even though some do it it is a major liability for them. Also note the the LOD bumper frame tie in bracket is Junk it DOES NOT tie anything to the frame it mounts identical as the Maximus now only the frame horn and Bumper plate.

Frankly Maximus while they did not see the bent loop issue coming they are making the proper modifications. Yes you need to add the the tie in rod and it will cost you a little. But they also have a frame tie in bracket that I unserstande will be provided to all maximus Tow Loop owners. This is a bracket that will tie the loops directly to the frame and making the Maximus Tow Loops one of only 3 that will be frame tied.

I have added the Tie ROD and waiting for the tie in brackets which should be very soon (I think they are in paint currently).

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL Tow Loops (Front & Rear) IMG-0345

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL Tow Loops (Front & Rear) IMG-0346

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
I hope Maximus-3 contacts me about the frame tie-in brackets, as well as the recently purchased tie rod. It is too long due to the offset Blue Ox adapters. I bought my tow loops back in 2020 as it was what I thought was the best option while running a winch.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So none of the winch plates tie into the frame either?
That is correct, at least I am not aware of any that do but that does not meant that there is not one or two. But keep in mind winching is generally a slow controled event, and damage can happen to both the vehicle winching and being winched. Winching has no where near the forces o repatative forces flat towing does. In fact even the MOPAR winch plate does not tie to the frame but again it is only working in one direction forward and a slow steady pull.

https://www.quadratec.com/sites/def...kit-jeep-wrangler-jl-install-instructions.pdf

Sponsored

B&ZRubi

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Website
flyingmpartners.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubicon JL
Occupation
Retired
baseplate or tow loops need to be tied directly to the frame, unfortunately there are only two options (a third I will elaborate at the end of this). Those two are the Blue OX and Roadmaster. The Blue ox is the most invasive and looks the worst of the bunch but seems to be a solid performer. The Roadmaster is a little more sleek and hidden, but you do need to drill your frame as part of the install (just make two existing holes larger). Be aware that NONE of the bumper options tie to the frame. Jeep engineers have said you cannot tow from the bumper connection on a JL or JK. even though some do it it is a major liability for them. Also note the the LOD bumper frame tie in bracket is Junk it DOES NOT tie anything to the frame it mounts identical as the Maximus now only the frame horn and Bumper plate.

Frankly Maximus while they did not see the bent loop issue coming they are making the proper modifications. Yes you need to add the the tie in rod and it will cost you a little. But they also have a frame tie in bracket that I unserstande will be provided to all maximus Tow Loop owners. This is a bracket that will tie the loops directly to the frame and making the Maximus Tow Loops one of only 3 that will be frame tied.

I have added the Tie ROD and waiting for the tie in brackets which should be very soon (I think they are in paint currently).

IMG-0345.jpg

IMG-0346.jpg
Thanks for the info and the pictures. I have about the same setup with the Ready Brute tow bar. My issue with Maximus is they did not reach out to me when issues came up with the tow loops and the tie rod solution. Now I have bent loops that probably need to be replaced. So I am paying twice for the loops on top of the the cost of the frame repair. Not sure I want to stay with Maximus due to the poor customer service. Am I spending good money after bad?

A90FD1DA-C395-47C6-97B4-3D766C6E4DB8.jpeg

925762E9-4144-4CE2-9E90-48927896020D.jpeg

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for the info and the pictures. I have about the same setup with the Ready Brute tow bar. My issue with Maximus is they did not reach out to me when issues came up with the tow loops and the tie rod solution. Now I have bent loops that probably need to be replaced. So I am paying twice for the loops on top of the the cost of the frame repair. Not sure I want to stay with Maximus due to the poor customer service. Am I spending good money after bad?
they replcad my bent loops free and upgraded me from 5/8" to 3/4"

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
I removed the old bent 5/8" loops and installed the new 3/4" loops but I chose to mount inside the frame horns instead of outside. This was strictly because I hated the extremely wide set loops when it came to hooking up the Jeep to the coach. Moving to the inside narrowed the gap between the loops approximately 8.5". Inside loop went from about 34" to 25.5" Thanks Lightsout for the suggestion. I also found some damage that was visible only after removing the old bent loops. I'm either going to modify the tie bar 8.5" or just start from scratch. Regardless I'm sticking with tow loops. First pic is damage from towing without a tie rod & second is inside mount of new 3/4" loops.

Maximus 3 damage.jpg

inside mount 3.jpg

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I removed the old bent 5/8" loops and installed the new 3/4" loops but I chose to mount inside the frame horns instead of outside. This was strictly because I hated the extremely wide set loops when it came to hooking up the Jeep to the coach. Moving to the inside narrowed the gap between the loops approximately 8.5". Inside loop went from about 34" to 25.5" Thanks Lightsout for the suggestion. I also found some damage that was visible only after removing the old bent loops. I'm either going to modify the tie bar 8.5" or just start from scratch. Regardless I'm sticking with tow loops. First pic is damage from towing without a tie rod & second is inside mount of new 3/4" loops.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL Tow Loops (Front & Rear) inside mount 3

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL Tow Loops (Front & Rear) inside mount 3
In retrospect my only concern for inside mounting is how the upcoming frame tie in brackets Maximus is developing will adapt to the inside mount of the tow loop. You may want to shoot them an email asking. Personally I think that twhile the tire rod may help the frame horns attachment is still at risk and these (or any tow connection) must be tied to the actual frame. That was the only reason I stayed with Maximus as they are in development of a additional bracket that will tie the loops to the frame directly.

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
In retrospect my only concern for inside mounting is how the upcoming frame tie in brackets Maximus is developing will adapt to the inside mount of the tow loop. You may want to shoot them an email asking. Personally I think that twhile the tire rod may help the frame horns attachment is still at risk and these (or any tow connection) must be tied to the actual frame. That was the only reason I stayed with Maximus as they are in development of a additional bracket that will tie the loops to the frame directly.
I would think that if you mounted to the inside the frame attachments should also be able to mount to the inside. Then it is just a matter of modifying the tie rod or given the measurements perhaps Maximus would build one that way.
Keep the photos coming people. I am sure many are watching this thread,
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.