Not open for further replies.

JKWMD

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon; 2021 JLU Sahara
We are aware of this issue and this why we always recommended that users add the towing tie rod that we designed specifically for flat towing. Unfortunately some customers opt out of this option and trust their towing braking system.
We strongly urge every customer to use The Maximus-3 Towing Tie Rod which we are currently selling on our website as a towing package. Some customers are buying the tow loops just for recovery only, in which case the tie rod is not required.

Thank you.

Do you have an install video, or a link to installation instructions?
Sponsored

Fftoddster

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two many
Clubs

well I looked at Roadmaster Direct connect baseplate kit. I like that it is barely visible but looks like you cannot use a winch with it?

RockJock is looking like a better alternative.

Bummed cuz the Maximus had looked promising and had a hole to use D rings as well.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
I have the RockJock baseplate on my 2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel. I have towed it over 3000 miles without incident. Blue Ox tow bar with "ready brake". I purchased my Jeep with the plastic bumper group. Replaced the front bumper with a one-off steel bumper and a winch. The RockJock baseplate also acts as a "front skip plate", replacing the flimsy sheet metal one that came with the plastic bumper. It is a beefy plate. The arms do stick out a bit, but they are plated on the bottom.

I haven't hard-core, rock-climbing wheeled with it yet, but I look at it this way. The arms will act as a "push up" point on that rock that is just a bit too tall. Even before I drive the bumper into the rock.

Mike

IMG_E1908.JPG
Where do you connect your safety cables? Never mind. The attached photo shows an attachment point for the safety cables.
This is the way I will go. Too bad about the tow loops not being a good option. This forum is the best.
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL Tow Loops (Front & Rear) 1649087167627

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the RockJock baseplate on my 2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel. I have towed it over 3000 miles without incident. Blue Ox tow bar with "ready brake". I purchased my Jeep with the plastic bumper group. Replaced the front bumper with a one-off steel bumper and a winch. The RockJock baseplate also acts as a "front skip plate", replacing the flimsy sheet metal one that came with the plastic bumper. It is a beefy plate. The arms do stick out a bit, but they are plated on the bottom.

I haven't hard-core, rock-climbing wheeled with it yet, but I look at it this way. The arms will act as a "push up" point on that rock that is just a bit too tall. Even before I drive the bumper into the rock.

Mike

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL Tow Loops (Front & Rear) 1649087167627
What bumper are you using?

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
T

The installation instructions say that it only works with the factory steel bumper.
Depending on the bumper you get, it may mount the same as oem. You will have to modify it for the brackets to pass thru.

The key is that this is designed to not interfere with the winch mount plate, yet still rated for tow. They cannot test all aftermarket solutions, but I would suggest digging in to see how the bumper you want mounts compared to oem steel. Even the oem steel requires modifications.

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At this point I am looking at the Rockjock base plate on the factory plastic bumper and possibly adding the Rockhard winch plate.

JKWMD

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon; 2021 JLU Sahara
We are aware of this issue and this why we always recommended that users add the towing tie rod that we designed specifically for flat towing. Unfortunately some customers opt out of this option and trust their towing braking system.
We strongly urge every customer to use The Maximus-3 Towing Tie Rod which we are currently selling on our website as a towing package. Some customers are buying the tow loops just for recovery only, in which case the tie rod is not required.

Thank you.
[/QUOTE]
Do you have a tie-rod that works with Roadmaster tow bars?

Sponsored

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase

Thank you.
[/QUOTE]
@Maximus-3, As stated previously when I ordered my Tow Loops from you 6 weeks ago there was no mention of this package. In looking at this set up for Blue Ox I think I can make it work with my Roadmaster set up with some grade 8 bolts so, please send me the towing tie rod bar that you referenced above.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Thank you.
@Maximus-3, As stated previously when I ordered my Tow Loops from you 6 weeks ago there was no mention of this package. In looking at this set up for Blue Ox I think I can make it work with my Roadmaster set up with some grade 8 bolts so, please send me the towing tie rod bar that you referenced above.
[/QUOTE]

Let me know how the bar works with the Roadmaster set up. I also have the tow defender on top of that same mounting point. I think the cross bar could also be mount on the bottom. However, I thought the Roadmaster bolt is a special tapered bolt. I can't remember for sure and I am traveling for work so I can't check.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

well I looked at Roadmaster Direct connect baseplate kit. I like that it is barely visible but looks like you cannot use a winch with it?

RockJock is looking like a better alternative.

Bummed cuz the Maximus had looked promising and had a hole to use D rings as well.
I would be afraid of hitting the tube and safety chain attachments off-road. The tube would most likely crimp down when it hits a rock and make it tough to reattach. The Rockjock looks a bit more substantial and has some bracing on the bottom. However, all the options stick out further/reduce approach angle more than the Maximus and I believe that is why many of us went that direction.

I may just throw in the towel and buy a trailer. The trailer takes more time to unhook, I have to pay storage for it, and it is difficult to find a place to park it at public campgrounds. But, I will not have to deal with the wear and tear on the vehicle or the mounting points.

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would be afraid of hitting the tube and safety chain attachments off-road. The tube would most likely crimp down when it hits a rock and make it tough to reattach. The Rockjock looks a bit more substantial and has some bracing on the bottom. However, all the options stick out further/reduce approach angle more than the Maximus and I believe that is why many of us went that direction.

I may just throw in the towel and buy a trailer. The trailer takes more time to unhook, I have to pay storage for it, and it is difficult to find a place to park it at public campgrounds. But, I will not have to deal with the wear and tear on the vehicle or the mounting points.
It doesn't look like the Rock Jock has any more exposure than the Maximus. The Rockjock may have less clearance from the ground but may also protrude less making it a wash. I vote Rockjock.

Maximus 2.jpg

rock jock 2.jpg

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

It doesn't look like the Rock Jock has any more exposure than the Maximus. The Rockjock may have less clearance from the ground but may also protrude less making it a wash. I vote Rockjock.
For the ledges and rocks out here in Denver and Moab, I would constantly hit that, I was already worried about hitting the Maximus tow loops and I run a 3.5 lift with 37's. I am sure it is a good option for most owners.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.