Status
Not open for further replies.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

40” with the reinforcement bracket. So if I was doing 37 and extra weight I’d just get the bracket.
Earlier in the thread I read that the rear hard top window would not open with the extra accessories on the carrier. Is this true?
Sponsored

miguelroboso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hey @Maximus-3 I am having a small issue with the door stop after installing the carrier. The gate does not swing fully open because the door stop gets stuck on the body (the part immediately behind the tub reinforcement bracket).

I was wondering if anyone had the same issue and how they solved it.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Hey @Maximus-3 I am having a small issue with the door stop after installing the carrier. The gate does not swing fully open because the door stop gets stuck on the body (the part immediately behind the tub reinforcement bracket).

I was wondering if anyone had the same issue and how they solved it.
I think I loosened the screws holding the bracket to the tailgate( the stopper thing). Then I opened and closed it a few times and re-tightened after. It’s been a bit though. I know this got rid of the awful scraping noise, but I think it also solved the open/close resistance.

Sponsored

miguelroboso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I think I loosened the screws holding the bracket to the tailgate( the stopper thing). Then I opened and closed it a few times and re-tightened after. It’s been a bit though. I know this got rid of the awful scraping noise, but I think it also solved the open/close resistance.
Makes sense, I will try that before TRIMMING ALL THE THINGS

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '11 LR4, '21 F-150 FX4, '08 620i Gator
This did the trick for me as well

miguelroboso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So, not only I couldn’t solve the doorstop noise, but the carrier was sagging so badly that the tailgate was touching the bumper. No amount of adjustment made it better. All was good without tire (a 35 with stock rubi wheel), about half an inch from the bumper, and then once I put the tire on the tailgate sagged considerably. I managed to adjust it a bit so that I could go on the trail, but whenever I closed it i had to be careful.
No way this would have supported accessories.
Now I have a tire carrier to sell if anyone wants it.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
So, not only I couldn’t solve the doorstop noise, but the carrier was sagging so badly that the tailgate was touching the bumper. No amount of adjustment made it better. All was good without tire (a 35 with stock rubi wheel), about half an inch from the bumper, and then once I put the tire on the tailgate sagged considerably. I managed to adjust it a bit so that I could go on the trail, but whenever I closed it i had to be careful.
No way this would have supported accessories.
Now I have a tire carrier to sell if anyone wants it.
Did you get support from Maximus-3? They’ve been pretty good for me. It sounds like there’s an issue with your tub mount not being tight enough. The tire weight is transferred to the tub when working correctly, so it would have to be flexing there to pull the tailgate down with it.
Any idea of total wheel/tire weight? I used the reinforcement bracket because mine were around 125 lbs if I remember right.

Sponsored

miguelroboso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I got the reinforcement bracket and tightened the bolts with a breaker bar, I cannot give you a specific torque because I couldn't fit the torque wrench inside the taillight housing. In the inside I set it at 40lb/ft.
I feel that it was definitely the tub bending, but I am not sure what could have been done about it.
A detail: when everything was tightened up nothing was moving, even when I was lifting the jeep from the carrier.

I am not sure about total weight but overall it was probably around 100lbs, considering stock wheel and a 65lb tire.

As for the contact with M3, I sent them a few emails and contact requests about the door stop via the website, in addition to the messages here, but no reply.

I admit that I got more frustrated than I should have, I should have probably called and figure that out with them, but I found a really really good deal on an LOD and I decided to throw my tax return at it.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
I got the reinforcement bracket and tightened the bolts with a breaker bar, I cannot give you a specific torque because I couldn't fit the torque wrench inside the taillight housing. In the inside I set it at 40lb/ft.
I feel that it was definitely the tub bending, but I am not sure what could have been done about it.
A detail: when everything was tightened up nothing was moving, even when I was lifting the jeep from the carrier.

I am not sure about total weight but overall it was probably around 100lbs, considering stock wheel and a 65lb tire.

As for the contact with M3, I sent them a few emails and contact requests about the door stop via the website, in addition to the messages here, but no reply.

I admit that I got more frustrated than I should have, I should have probably called and figure that out with them, but I found a really really good deal on an LOD and I decided to throw my tax return at it.
Soft top or hard top? I’m wondering if there’s more tub flex with a soft top. Kind of like chassis flex with a convertible sports car. My other thought is something is up with your bushings. They’ve sent me wrong hardware before, but they fixed it both times.
It took me a bit to get a response out of them to see if they made a plate for 8x6.5” bolt pattern. I had to email, then got a response within a day. Sorry they’re falling short with you and that I can’t be much help. I did just order a second one for my new JL, I left the old one on the JLUR I traded.

miguelroboso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hard top. I am confused too, I never heard of this issue in the long hours of search. It could be a bushing issue, in which case it is going to be difficult to sell it, but c'est la vie.
I still think it's a valid alternative to bumper+carrier, it just didn't work for me.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Hard top. I am confused too, I never heard of this issue in the long hours of search. It could be a bushing issue, in which case it is going to be difficult to sell it, but c'est la vie.
I still think it's a valid alternative to bumper+carrier, it just didn't work for me.
Wish I still lived down in Petaluma, I’d come take a look. I’m assuming your profile means San Francisco/Oakland area.

Status
Not open for further replies.