Not open for further replies.

Techbrute

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I’m seeing dual Rotopax in the picture, with a hard top, but the dual Rotopax mount says that it is not compatible with the hard top. ???

Also, does the dual mount work with the 4 gal Rotopax?
Sponsored

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
The rear window won't open all the way. I believe the ace carrier with a similar rotopax mount has the same issue.

kd5pff

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon
Got my sport TC installed tonight. It was a bit of a pain but not bad overall. The instructions could use some tweaking to be more clear (I'd be happy to help do that) I will post pics in the light.
Super excited about this thing!

Full disclosure, I installed it in the dark with my wife so we might have missed some of these things in the instructions. We will review everything tomorrow.
Here are the snags and tweaks we found.
  • The door plate requires the left plastic vent flap to be removed. We didn't see that in the instructions. (it is very easy to do) Once the plastic vent flap is removed there really should be a gasket to seal the plate around the large hole. We made our own.
  • It would be cool to see a metal vent cover for the right vent. Just to clean up the back of the jeep. Doesn't need to come with the TC, but should be an accessory.
  • The camera mount is bomb proof, but it's silver (stainless steel), it really should be black (I will paint it mine later)
  • The camera mount plate wasn't threaded and it's hard stainless. I had to drill it and find 2 tiny screws to thread into the factory camera to keep it snug. The OEM screws stood no chance against the stainless.
  • The bolts that hold the camera cover on are too long and will hit and destroy the factory camera.This is easily solved by adding a washer but they should have been shorter and more clear in the instructions.
  • The 3rd break light plug has to be dang near smashed to fit through the hole that feeds it up through the mast (not the hole in the mast, the hole in the main body of the TC)
  • The very adjustable tire mount doesn't clear the back of the tube it slides into, so it can't be made smaller than the second hole. Luckily that fits a 35x12.5 perfectly. Any thinner of a tire and it would stickout from the door unnecessarily.
  • The instructions could use more detail on securing the welded nut inside the tire bracket tube. Again, easy to figure out, but could be more clear with pictures
  • The hinge pins are interference fit as the manual suggests but the powder coat will be scrapped off when you push the pins in. Creating an eventually rust spot.
  • I couldn't find and explanation on how to install the body tube reinforcement bracket. I'll look again this weekend.
  • The instructions definitely need more pictures to be clear.
  • The hinges leave very large unfilled gaps that will allow water to get inside the read body panels. This will require a decent amount of caulk. I'll post pics.
  • There is a ton of left over hardware that the manual doesn't seem to explain. Again, I likely missed something and will recheck soon.
  • Need more clear instructions for mounting the 3rd break light. It's easy to figure out but pics and more detail wouldn't hurt.
  • Same for installing the factory camera.

These are the biggest issues/suggestions I found. I'd be happy to explain in more detail and I will take a ton of pictures

I also learned a few tricks that would make the install easier the second time. I'll post those if anyone is interested.

Finally, please don't interpret this post as a gripe or rant.
I love this TC, it looks great, it's bullet proof and I am very happy with it. As always maximus has done an excellent job. As a mechanical engineer I can't help but look for improvements in everything, I am not trying to piss anyone off here, these are just my observations that I hope will help make a great product better.
Thanks!

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The rear window won't open all the way. I believe the ace carrier with a similar rotopax mount has the same issue.
I have the Ace carrier. With two Rotopax mounted, you can open the rear window all the way as long as you have the tailgate fully open. It’s tight, but it does clear.

Sponsored

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Got my sport TC installed tonight. It was a bit of a pain but not bad overall. The instructions could use some tweaking to be more clear (I'd be happy to help do that) I will post pics in the light.
Super excited about this thing!

Full disclosure, I installed it in the dark with my wife so we might have missed some of these things in the instructions. We will review everything tomorrow.
Here are the snags and tweaks we found.
  • The door plate requires the left plastic vent flap to be removed. We didn't see that in the instructions. (it is very easy to do) Once the plastic vent flap is removed there really should be a gasket to seal the plate around the large hole. We made our own.
  • It would be cool to see a metal vent cover for the right vent. Just to clean up the back of the jeep. Doesn't need to come with the TC, but should be an accessory.
  • The camera mount is bomb proof, but it's silver (stainless steel), it really should be black (I will paint it mine later)
  • The camera mount plate wasn't threaded and it's hard stainless. I had to drill it and find 2 tiny screws to thread into the factory camera to keep it snug. The OEM screws stood no chance against the stainless.
  • The bolts that hold the camera cover on are too long and will hit and destroy the factory camera.This is easily solved by adding a washer but they should have been shorter and more clear in the instructions.
  • The 3rd break light plug has to be dang near smashed to fit through the hole that feeds it up through the mast (not the hole in the mast, the hole in the main body of the TC)
  • The very adjustable tire mount doesn't clear the back of the tube it slides into, so it can't be made smaller than the second hole. Luckily that fits a 35x12.5 perfectly. Any thinner of a tire and it would stickout from the door unnecessarily.
  • The instructions could use more detail on securing the welded nut inside the tire bracket tube. Again, easy to figure out, but could be more clear with pictures
  • The hinge pins are interference fit as the manual suggests but the powder coat will be scrapped off when you push the pins in. Creating an eventually rust spot.
  • I couldn't find and explanation on how to install the body tube reinforcement bracket. I'll look again this weekend.
  • The instructions definitely need more pictures to be clear.
  • The hinges leave very large unfilled gaps that will allow water to get inside the read body panels. This will require a decent amount of caulk. I'll post pics.
  • There is a ton of left over hardware that the manual doesn't seem to explain. Again, I likely missed something and will recheck soon.
  • Need more clear instructions for mounting the 3rd break light. It's easy to figure out but pics and more detail wouldn't hurt.
  • Same for installing the factory camera.

These are the biggest issues/suggestions I found. I'd be happy to explain in more detail and I will take a ton of pictures

I also learned a few tricks that would make the install easier the second time. I'll post those if anyone is interested.

Finally, please don't interpret this post as a gripe or rant.
I love this TC, it looks great, it's bullet proof and I am very happy with it. As always maximus has done an excellent job. As a mechanical engineer I can't help but look for improvements in everything, I am not trying to piss anyone off here, these are just my observations that I hope will help make a great product better.
Thanks!
Wow thanks for this detail, and congrats on getting it mounted up. I have my sport carrier in the garage and waiting to be mounted. This is a little discouraging to read. Would love any other tips / tricks / pics / detail you’re willing to share.

kd5pff

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon
Wow thanks for this detail, and congrats on getting it mounted up. I have my sport carrier in the garage and waiting to be mounted. This is a little discouraging to read. Would love any other tips / tricks / pics / detail you’re willing to share.
Don't be discouraged. It wasn't as bad as it sounds!
With any new product there will be things that can't be discovered quickly.
This TC is actually a complex thing to design.

kd5pff

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon
Used some adhesive backed automotive foam to seal up the plate and painted the camera bracket.
Still haven't figured out how to mount the reinforcement bracket.
20200508_193502.jpg
20200508_180331.jpg
20200508_180724.jpg
20200508_190439.jpg
20200508_190443.jpg
20200508_190454.jpg
20200508_190501.jpg

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
Got mine installed Sunday. No left over hardware for me. I actually thought I was a camera bolt short, but my daughter found it loose in the box. I think the plate would seal to the paint on the tailgate, but I went with some 2 sided tape to protect the paint also. The directions could use some improvement. I think you are just supposed to use the one center screw on the camera mount. Seems like the other 2 holes are just for alignment. If they are supposed to be used you will definitely have to drill them out. The factory hinges leave the same gap at the body tub. No reason to culk. This cavity is also open from the bottom if you install an aftermarket bumper. The tub brace is installed through taillight. I also had no directions for this. Other then directions everything is top notch.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Got mine installed Sunday. No left over hardware for me. I actually thought I was a camera bolt short, but my daughter found it loose in the box. I think the plate would seal to the paint on the tailgate, but I went with some 2 sided tape to protect the paint also. The directions could use some improvement. I think you are just supposed to use the one center screw on the camera mount. Seems like the other 2 holes are just for alignment. If they are supposed to be used you will definitely have to drill them out. The factory hinges leave the same gap at the body tub. No reason to culk. This cavity is also open from the bottom if you install an aftermarket bumper. The tub brace is installed through taillight. I also had no directions for this. Other then directions everything is top notch.
Thanks for this. I truly don't recall any gap left by the original hinges, not anywhere near the gap I see with this system - maybe I just never looked before. In any case, good to hear that you don't think it's cause for concern or necessary to caulk.

Question for you on the tub brace - is it mounted before or after mounting the hinges to tub and tailgate, or is it kind of a thing where they all go together at once. I've got the new bracket mounted to the tub and tailgate...and not sure how to proceed with the brace.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Sponsored

TK421-JL

First Name
Sterling
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon
Finally, how is the tail light removed?

Thanks in advance!
Taillights are very easy to remove.
Here’s an install video for taillights that shows how to remove them.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Taillights are very easy to remove.
Here’s an install video for taillights that shows how to remove them.

Thanks ! Right after posting, I googled it and found the answer. Tried to edit my post to remove the question, but you beat me to it. Thank you !

kd5pff

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon
Awesome! Good idea with removing the taillight. I should have figured that out.
I know the hinge area is open to the elements from the bottom, but I don't like the idea of it being as exposed as it is. Maybe the OEM is not well sealed, but my TC left a decent gap. Probably not a big deal, especially since it's all aluminum.

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
Tub brace.is mounted after hinges. The gap at the hinges is pretty close to factory. The only reason I know is I Made note before and after since it had been mentioned in this thread .

kd5pff

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon
Tub brace.is mounted after hinges. The gap at the hinges is pretty close to factory. The only reason I know is I Made note before and after since it had been mentioned in this thread .
Can you send a pic of the brace installed?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.