Maximus-3 JL Roof Rack System

Status
Not open for further replies.

eman20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
eman20 Here are a few pics I could find that kind of show the mounts. The Frontrunner mounts hold the RTT 2.5" above the rack. This allows the skirt of the RTT to perfectly hide the mounts and the gap when deployed.
IMG_4447.JPG
IMG_5296.JPG
IMG_5374.JPG
IMG_6478.JPG
IMG_6479.JPG
IMG_6481.JPG
Thanks DeekT I appreciate the photos. Looks great. 2.5” is not bad from platform to bottom of tent. I thought it would be higher. I guess your quick clips is on the 2 outside pioneer platform c-chanels then so you can reach it ? You have a channel on the frame and then just in from the frame is the first c-chanel, that’s the one I’m referring to.
Sponsored

DeekT

First Name
Deek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLU Rubicon (mine), 2018 White JLU Moab (wife)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks DeekT I appreciate the photos. Looks great. 2.5” is not bad from platform to bottom of tent. I thought it would be higher. I guess your quick clips is on the 2 outside pioneer platform c-chanels then so you can reach it ? You have a channel on the frame and then just in from the frame is the first c-chanel, that’s the one I’m referring to.
That is correct. Also, once I aligned everything where I wanted it the first time I put a paint mark on the platform at each bracket front and back. I always take the lower bracket mounts off the platform when the RTT is not on and this allows quick reinstallation in the exact location. When the RTT is on you can easily reach the bracket hold-down bolts in case you wanted to move it a little farther forward or back for weight distribution or attaching something else.

eman20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
That is correct. Also, once I aligned everything where I wanted it the first time I put a paint mark on the platform at each bracket front and back. I always take the lower bracket mounts off the platform when the RTT is not on and this allows quick reinstallation in the exact location. When the RTT is on you can easily reach the bracket hold-down bolts in case you wanted to move it a little farther forward or back for weight distribution or attaching something else.
DeekT Sorry to bother you again but I’m thinking your idea is the way to go and I’m about to purchase the quick real ease kit from front runner specifically for ikamper. Wanted to check back in now that you have had some time to use this system.

- Do you feel still good with this setup ?
- Any rattling or shifting from the brackets when on trails ?
- Any other negatives or positives you can add before I start drilling into my hard shell ikamper which wasn’t cheap :).
- does having the quick release brackets so close to the outside rack chanel cause any weight distribution issues ?

One more thing. Could you share the bolt size you used for the ikamper base to quick release bracket and any washers nuts you used ? Hoping it didn’t protrude Inside the tent too much that it sticks into mattress.

Thanks again for your info on all this much appreciated. Hope it’s treating you well.

DeekT

First Name
Deek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLU Rubicon (mine), 2018 White JLU Moab (wife)
Occupation
Retired
DeekT Sorry to bother you again but I’m thinking your idea is the way to go and I’m about to purchase the quick real ease kit from front runner specifically for ikamper. Wanted to check back in now that you have had some time to use this system.

- Do you feel still good with this setup ?
- Any rattling or shifting from the brackets when on trails ?
- Any other negatives or positives you can add before I start drilling into my hard shell ikamper which wasn’t cheap :).
- does having the quick release brackets so close to the outside rack chanel cause any weight distribution issues ?

One more thing. Could you share the bolt size you used for the ikamper base to quick release bracket and any washers nuts you used ? Hoping it didn’t protrude Inside the tent too much that it sticks into mattress.

Thanks again for your info on all this much appreciated. Hope it’s treating you well.
Yes, definitely a good setup IMO.
No rattling or shifting, at least none that I noticed.
Only negatives for me were the latches on two of the frontrunner brackets ended up close to the mounting location for the RTT straps, but this should not be a problem for you with a hard shell, and there are two of the latches that require a security torx key to open that is very tight access with the provided key. I solved this by purchasing a T-handle security torx wrench that is like 6" or 8" long. Think I got it off Amazon for a couple $ for a whole set of different sizes.
No weight distribution issues at all. My RTT is a CVT Mt. Rainier which is their second largest (size of a California king bed when open).
As far as hardware, my setup is a little different from you (I believe). My RTT base is honeycomb between aluminum diamond-plate. It's quite thick and I had to be careful not to crush it. I have the latch bracket on the bottom side and one of the provided channel nut plates on the inside. You should be able to simply use the hardware provided. I use a shipping blanket under the mattress to make sure there is no snagging on the channel nut plates. For mounting the mount brackets to the pioneer platform I got some channel nuts (see pic) which allows front to back adjustments. You can get these in standard or metric thread sizes. I used a 5/16" x 3/4" long bolt with locking washer and flat washer.
That's it. Hope this helps.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL Roof Rack System Strut Nut

eman20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Yes, definitely a good setup IMO.
No rattling or shifting, at least none that I noticed.
Only negatives for me were the latches on two of the frontrunner brackets ended up close to the mounting location for the RTT straps, but this should not be a problem for you with a hard shell, and there are two of the latches that require a security torx key to open that is very tight access with the provided key. I solved this by purchasing a T-handle security torx wrench that is like 6" or 8" long. Think I got it off Amazon for a couple $ for a whole set of different sizes.
No weight distribution issues at all. My RTT is a CVT Mt. Rainier which is their second largest (size of a California king bed when open).
As far as hardware, my setup is a little different from you (I believe). My RTT base is honeycomb between aluminum diamond-plate. It's quite thick and I had to be careful not to crush it. I have the latch bracket on the bottom side and one of the provided channel nut plates on the inside. You should be able to simply use the hardware provided. I use a shipping blanket under the mattress to make sure there is no snagging on the channel nut plates. For mounting the mount brackets to the pioneer platform I got some channel nuts (see pic) which allows front to back adjustments. You can get these in standard or metric thread sizes. I used a 5/16" x 3/4" long bolt with locking washer and flat washer.
That's it. Hope this helps.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL Roof Rack System Strut Nut
This is very helpfully and thank you for taking the time to write up some of these details.

My fear apart from screwing up where I’m drilling holes 😜 is having the brackets so close to the edge might affect the weight in the middle if it’s up slightly off the platform. I always felt that’s why ikamper put their rails where they put them closer to center and out, for that distribution of weight when inside the tent and moving around.
I can see it not been a problem when driving as in weight distribution but more so when inside the tenth and not having that center support. So it’s good to hear that didn’t affect your setup and your tent been bigger area mass than mine so thanks for that.

I think your approach is the way to go for me too. Now getting around it it.

Sponsored

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2017 Miata Club RF
Just read all 20 pages. I just got my 2019 Sahara and had pretty much decided on this rack with the iKamper hardshell. Really happy I found all this info. Thanks @eman20 and @DeekT big time! Looks like I'll be going the Maximus-3 long rack, FR quick release mounts, and the iKamper itself route. I'll post pics when it's done.

eman20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Just read all 20 pages. I just got my 2019 Sahara and had pretty much decided on this rack with the iKamper hardshell. Really happy I found all this info. Thanks @eman20 and @DeekT big time! Looks like I'll be going the Maximus-3 long rack, FR quick release mounts, and the iKamper itself route. I'll post pics when it's done.
Congrats, please do post your setup details when you finish. I got caught up with work and haven’t had to chance to order my FR mounts yet, but still instead to go this route with my hard shell.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I have three questions about this system. I think I know the answers for them but I just wanted to ask and verify.

Is it available with just the cross-bars and not the pioneer rack system?

Can you remove it all-together, and just be left with some little pads, similar to how the rhino rack is?

What is the off-road weight limit?

Thank You!

LeoTheDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Sorry if this has been asked before, but can you give me the dimensions of the back rail kit? Mainly interested in the height and how far up the side of the platform it goes. Thanks!

jeepinalaska

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I have the larger size maxims 3 rack system on my 2019 JLU. Since summer is fast approaching I will no doubt want to take my hard top off, however the one time I did this last summer, I ran into issues with the roof rack system. The forward bolts are extremely difficult to access from the underside, and as such it is very difficult to take the top off with the rack securely connected (The workaround I found involved unscrewing it from the top outside, which was complicated and made it flimsy). Has anyone else ran into this, and what tool do you use that can get in there to easily unscrew it from the inside?

Sponsored

eman20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I have three questions about this system. I think I know the answers for them but I just wanted to ask and verify.

Is it available with just the cross-bars and not the pioneer rack system?

Can you remove it all-together, and just be left with some little pads, similar to how the rhino rack is?

What is the off-road weight limit?

Thank You!
I have the system on a 2 door and I love the low profile look and it’s a solid build and quality product.

if your looking to remove the rack then this is not the system for you. I didn’t have the option of a rhino rack with the 2 door but if I did I would have leaned towards it as it looks easier to remove.
in saying that I love the Maximus but just can’t remove it unless I want a headache for the day.

not sure if you can get it with just the crossbars, but Maximus are very helpful when you call. I got my brackets without the platform as I already had one and when I called Maximus the were very helpfully in just selling me the brackets.

jeepinalaska

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Any recommendations for a weatherproof roof rack bag for this? I have the large Maximus 3 rack which is 76” x 54”, and I would like a bag that fits at least pretty close to that width and preferably close to the length too. The problem is, most roof rack bags I find out there are much smaller, usually around 44”L x 35”w x17h. I think that would look really awkward on such a big rack and would not hold as much stuff as I need.

eman20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Any recommendations for a weatherproof roof rack bag for this? I have the large Maximus 3 rack which is 76” x 54”, and I would like a bag that fits at least pretty close to that width and preferably close to the length too. The problem is, most roof rack bags I find out there are much smaller, usually around 44”L x 35”w x17h. I think that would look really awkward on such a big rack and would not hold as much stuff as I need.
Sorry I don’t know anything about bags. I use mine for an ikamper mini which takes up the entire platform.

AlanRhodesAZ

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangle JL
I had a company here in San Diego to do The install of the Maximus and ikamper. They used accessory bars https://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/pro...-accessory-bar-c-channel-1360mm-4-4ft-_43138b
To attach the ikamper brackets to the pioneer platform.

This works but to be honest I’m not happy with how it turned out. The guys did a fantastic job at the rack install. The problem with the tent setup is it’s extremely hard to get to the back two ikamper brackets. They are so far in you have to use a 18” ratchet extension. You also have to squeeze your arm in and try and thread the bolt to put the brackets on. This is awful and painful if you have normal arms. If you have any muscles on your arm do not go with the Maximus-3 for ikamper.

I have no idea why Maximus designed the system to be so low to the Jeep roof. I get it to be slimline but it’s not functional when it comes to adding accessories below the platform, example brackets. To me this is a major design flaw and would not go with the Maximus-3. In saying that Maximus were really helpful when ordering and I really wish they would either add spacers to make the feet higher if you decide you want more under rack space. Backbone allows for spacers on their system.

I have an idea on brackets that would make the attachment of ikamper To pioneer platform much easier but would need the help of a welder to mock them up. If anyone out there would like to help solve this issue for the Maximus setup then please reach out.

Here are some images of the install.

CE7CB465-7706-4AE3-BE1E-B68DF7FC26A3.jpeg

4C58461C-F7FF-44D3-8879-B6F48BEA3824.jpeg

1B087194-2E02-44F1-96D0-6C434E67527D.jpeg

I will give Maximus credit for making a strong bracketing system and stepping into a market that others have stayed away from on the 2 doors. So thank you Maximus team.
Iam looking to do this same ikamper/Maximus rack on my JL 2-door. Can you tell me your total hight from Jeep roof to top of ikamper top? With my 3.5” lift I worried if I can clear my garage door.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.