First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜73 CJ5, ā€˜19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Just finished installing my Maximus-3 two door roof rack. It took me the better part of an afternoon but it all worked out great in the end. I found it a little easier to use a hoist to lift the roof and rack a little to line up everything.

Attached is a picture of the Jeep with the doors and Freedom panels off and the rack mounted.

20200529_104653.jpg
I donā€™t mean to hijack the thread, but was wondering whose rotopax mount you are using.

thanks
Sponsored

GlenTippetts

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door Jeep JL Sport
I donā€™t mean to hijack the thread, but was wondering whose rotopax mount you are using.

thanks
That is my own mount. I made it from a 2'x3' piece of plexiglass, a set of 3D printed gutter mounts on top and a set of 3D printed cleats to attach it to the bottom.

I am thinking of going into production but since I have a two door JL I still need to get the dimensions for a four door window. I don't want to hijack this thread either, but I can tell you more if you or anyone else wants to DM me.

On a more thread specific note: My Maximus-3 roof rack has been awesome. It does make it more difficult to remove the hard top in the Summer so I'm trying to find a solution for that. The fact that it mounts directly to the roll cage gives me the confidence to throw almost anything on the rack and not worry about it. My main reason for getting it was for mounting a roof top tent, although I haven't decided which one yet.

DaveN007

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have been VERY happy with my M3 rack. I modified the Front Runner quick release kit to work with the Pioneer Platrform. Works great. Ladders are surprisingly useful.
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL 2 DOOR Roof Rack System tempImagejMPCDU

den_jku

First Name
DS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I have been VERY happy with my M3 rack. I modified the Front Runner quick release kit to work with the Pioneer Platrform. Works great. Ladders are surprisingly useful.
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL 2 DOOR Roof Rack System tempImagejMPCDU
Hey David, Do you mind sharing how you got the M3 rack to work with the Front Runner quick release kit. I am lookin at getting the exact same set up.

DaveN007

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hey David, Do you mind sharing how you got the M3 rack to work with the Front Runner quick release kit. I am lookin at getting the exact same set up.
You mount the Front Runner "Receivers" lengthwise in the Pioneer Platform with channel nuts and bolts from Home Depot. You need to slightly enlarge the mounting holes in the receivers with a drill. The "Male" attachment points get mounted to your rails on your tent, so the other part of the equation is moving your tent rails so they are the correct width. The hardware that came with my 23Zero tent worked with the "male" part as you can see. Study the pics and see if it makes sense. I used a piece of wood as a template to make sure I had everything spaced correctly. Measure twice. Test fit with rails off of tent. Let me know if you need more info. I am happy to help. Zoom in on the receiver pic where it is secure to the platform. You can see that I added a spacer (extra bolt) to account for the depth of the platform channel. FWIW, I can fit in my 7'6" garage door with 35s and a 2.5 inch lift (not seen in these pics) with the tent in place. Also, despite being pretty low profile, I have a 3 in space between the floor of the tent and the platform. Perfect for securing large flat items. I didn't have the option of securing straight to the platform because I have the M3 ladders. With no ladders, you could get lower profile, but I dare say I have the easiest RTT removal system I can think of.
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL 2 DOOR Roof Rack System tempImagear3WLf
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL 2 DOOR Roof Rack System tempImagebIfdwF
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL 2 DOOR Roof Rack System tempImageQQOsWa
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL 2 DOOR Roof Rack System tempImageMjdE1o
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL 2 DOOR Roof Rack System tempImagenlnfJw
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL 2 DOOR Roof Rack System tempImageaqNg4S
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL 2 DOOR Roof Rack System IMG_2181.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL 2 DOOR Roof Rack System tempImageYXklfA
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL 2 DOOR Roof Rack System tempImageVAheHw
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL 2 DOOR Roof Rack System tempImageGgARk3
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL 2 DOOR Roof Rack System tempImageNSBm5C
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL 2 DOOR Roof Rack System tempImageUw19Y9
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL 2 DOOR Roof Rack System tempImage2ZCrEv
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL 2 DOOR Roof Rack System tempImagev0DgdH
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL 2 DOOR Roof Rack System tempImagewxBzjm
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 JL 2 DOOR Roof Rack System tempImagek0rZ0j

Sponsored

den_jku

First Name
DS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
You mount the Front Runner "Receivers" lengthwise in the Pioneer Platform with channel nuts and bolts from Home Depot. You need to slightly enlarge the mounting holes in the receivers with a drill. The "Male" attachment points get mounted to your rails on your tent, so the other part of the equation is moving your tent rails so they are the correct width. The hardware that came with my 23Zero tent worked with the "male" part as you can see. Study the pics and see if it makes sense. I used a piece of wood as a template to make sure I had everything spaced correctly. Measure twice. Test fit with rails off of tent. Let me know if you need more info. I am happy to help. Zoom in on the receiver pic where it is secure to the platform. You can see that I added a spacer (extra bolt) to account for the depth of the platform channel. FWIW, I can fit in my 7'6" garage door with 35s and a 2.5 inch lift (not seen in these pics) with the tent in place. Also, despite being pretty low profile, I have a 3 in space between the floor of the tent and the platform. Perfect for securing large flat items. I didn't have the option of securing straight to the platform because I have the M3 ladders. With no ladders, you could get lower profile, but I dare say I have the easiest RTT removal system I can think of.
Thanks for the detailed explanation, you have convinced me to go with this set up!

Also very clean build, are those Mopar 7 inch off-road lights on the bumper?

DaveN007

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the detailed explanation, you have convinced me to go with this set up!

Also very clean build, are those Mopar 7 inch off-road lights on the bumper?
Yes. 7ā€™s on the bar in front of the winch, and 5ā€™s on mounts at the base of the a-pillars.

jjbpunkn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Sport JK, 2015 Sport JK, 2018 Sport JL 2.0L
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
tempImagejMPCDU.jpg
Hi Dave, Quick question. Is the tent you have a 23ZERO WALKABOUT 56" DOUBLE BED MODEL and did you have your rack off the jeep to install the Front Runner quick release kit. Please let me know thanks. Joe (really like your jeep and set up)
tempImagejMPCDU.jpg

1Marine

First Name
Jessie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looking
Just finished installing my Maximus-3 two door roof rack. It took me the better part of an afternoon but it all worked out great in the end. I found it a little easier to use a hoist to lift the roof and rack a little to line up everything.

Attached is a picture of the Jeep with the doors and Freedom panels off and the rack mounted.

20200529_104653.jpg
running into a snag with the 2-door install... The directions are not very clear or I'm just overanalyzing...

The center brackets, R2 specifically ...which looks to be the starting point of all your measurements...where is this supposed to be? I looked on Rhino-Rack for the crossbar placement & it states the system isn't available for the 2-door.

The Maximus-3 directions, my platform is different as I donā€™t have bolt holes for the center brackets but measured increments.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

580749A4-A014-4258-8EEA-D02EBA7021D5.jpeg

Last edited:

Mord Proxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I'm considering this rack, but from all the pictures and install guides I haven't been able to figure one thing out:

Could you run this system with only the cross-bars attached to the mounting brackets, leaving the rest of the pioneer platform off? For a lot of the things I do I only need a traditional '2-bar' roof rack to attach a cargo box to, and I'd rather not keep the whole platform on all the time with extra accessory bars just to attach a box.

I guess my core questions for folks with this setup are:
- Are the Pioneer Platform crossbars detachable from the rest of the rack, and are they solid enough to attach some standard roof-box clamps to?
- Is there enough room between the crossbars and the hard-top to fit the clamps? From the pictures I can tell it's pretty close to the top, but not exactly how much room I'd have to work with.

Thanks folks!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.