ZBRA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SJ Cherokee, SJ Gladiator, JKU, & JL
Oh you don't lol
That's what I figured. I have the Rhino-Rack Backbone system in my JK. I am hoping they offer the same product for a 2-door JL, but have been unable to find one. Although it won't hold the load that the Maximus kit does, it is plenty strong enough. Plus it doesn't make it any more difficult to remove the top.

JLR_AEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon AEV Outfitted
That's what I figured. I have the Rhino-Rack Backbone system in my JK. I am hoping they offer the same product for a 2-door JL, but have been unable to find one. Although it won't hold the load that the Maximus kit does, it is plenty strong enough. Plus it doesn't make it any more difficult to remove the top.
I don't at least I meant lol

But if you have the patience and a pulley system lift in the garage I am sure it would cut the time in half. Installation was a bit of a pain in the ass so this thing is not coming off...ever lol

OP
OP
STW

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
Man that rack looks great, but how much more difficult does it make removal of the top?
The Maximus-3 rack system is designed for removal of the hardtop.
But it does make it more complicated. Look at my interior install photos in post #3 of this thread to get an idea what's involved. You can see the 8 horizontal bolts, 2 each in the forward and rear rack struts. After you remove those the hardtop comes off as usual. You can leave the interior rack struts in place with top off; you can decide from my photos whether you'd want to leave them or remove them.

The main difficulty for hardtop-removal is the 4 bolts in the forward interior rack struts; they're hard to get to. When I get around to removing the hardtop, I'm going to get a long, correctly angled ratchet tool that reaches in there easily.

An advantage for hardtop removal is the rack gives an easy way to use a pulley system to lift the hardtop off and store it. Rhino-Rack's Backbone system has the same advantage.

ZBRA is right that Rhino-Rack's Backbone system makes hardtop removal easy since you only remove the same 8 bolts that hold the hardtop to tub and roll-bar anyway. You don't have to fiddle with bolts in the tiny space like you do with the Maximus-3.

ZBRA is also right that the Maxumus-3 rack system supports more weight (those Maxiums-3 rack strut positions are designed best possible support). But Rhino-Rack's Backbone system offers plenty of support for most roof top tents. It's worth considering especially for those who want a rack of the quality of these two, but also want to remove the hardtop often.

After looking at both, I preferred the Maximus-3 because of its low profile struts, how low and close it sits to the hardtop, plus the top load rating. It comes with Rhino-Rack's great Pioneer Platform so to me it was the best of both companies: Rhino-Rack and Maximus-3. Since I don't remove the hardtop very often, there wasn't any reason not to get the Maximus-3 features.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Inthedash

First Name
MW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2021 JLR
I 2nd or 3rd that. Those front bolts are not your friend. Probably get a ratcheting box wrench to help but they are usually not very long in this size and you need it. The rack is substantial and heavy, it’s deceiving when you look at it. I installed the Hoist-A-top lift system last year for my gladiator not knowing how much more I would need it for this bad boy. Remove roof… yes, but not for a casual drive. You better want it off for a minute the effort it takes. I went back to get a ladder and it was out of stock unfortunately. I need it for the Mrs. she’s too short to help get stuff up there. I also have Maximus 3 tow loops installed for towing. Plenty in the forum about those but I like them. This thread is not about that of course just flapping my gums.
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 2door roof rack with Rhino-Rack Pioneer platform 8CCE4EB8-E9BD-4D52-9966-ED1E0054185F

R2B2

First Name
René
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Just my Setup…..from different angel
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 2door roof rack with Rhino-Rack Pioneer platform FFB8E662-B61C-4C7D-94CD-47A66CC19E7E

JLR_AEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon AEV Outfitted
So happy with my Maximus-3 rack. The dual Roam 83L boxes fit nicely and free up needed storage inside the Jeep. Plans for the future include mounts for recovery boards and maybe a water storage system.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 2door roof rack with Rhino-Rack Pioneer platform FFB8E662-B61C-4C7D-94CD-47A66CC19E7E
Had to ditch my Roam boxes because I did not measure them correctly and wasn't able to park in my garage without removing them lol
Roam boxes are 8 inches tall and was able to find boxes that are just 6 inches tall and still able to fit my things in them thankfully lol

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 2door roof rack with Rhino-Rack Pioneer platform Snapseed 26

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 2door roof rack with Rhino-Rack Pioneer platform Snapseed 27

Sponsored

Franky2step

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Willys 2dr
That's a nice looking trailer. Can you tell me what model it is? Thanks in advance

Franky2step

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Willys 2dr
It's a 2014 Little Guy 5 wide. Sadly they are no longer made. NuCamp has gone larger with their lineup.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 2door roof rack with Rhino-Rack Pioneer platform IMG_20220909_064536276
Thanks for the info. Just checked their lineup and crap, they have gone larger. The search continues!! Happy Thanksgiving!
Sponsored