Maximum travel/ least amount of lift

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Hello all. I have a brand new JLUR. I want to do a low center of gravity build. My plan is to gut the inner fender liners and put 37 inch tires on it. How can I go about achieving more travel while keeping it low? I’ve seen it mentioned that the metal cloak rock sport shocks are very good and it looks like they give 12.3 inches of travel. Any chance I can bolt those on along with some lower shock mount extensions? My guess is that the stock springs are too short for that? My other guess is that if I put spacers on top of the stock springs that they will not collapse enough for longer travel? I want to keep the vehicle low to keep the wife happy. But I want more travel and more articulation to make me happy. Also trying to keep it low budget to keep the wife happy. Happy wife happy life! I know that sounds awfully whipped. But I find it to be very true.
I can do any kind of metal fabrication needed so if anybody has any DIY custom modifications that need to be done I’d be happy to hear it? I’d really like to hear from @rustyshakelford and anybody else that’s really knowledgeable in this area?
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I'm fairly certain that the minimum shock length possible with stock mounts & bump stops is 15.63" (this is what came on the Sport trim level). The Metalcloak RockSport Long Travel shocks have a collapsed length of 17.7", which means that you would need to either lower the bottom mount 2", or raise the upper mount 2" (or some combo to make up the 2" difference).

The rear Metalcloak shocks are only 0.31" longer than OEM Rubicon, so they'll likely bolt on with no modifications.

Front droop is around 12.3", but rear droop will be closer to 8.3". I have no idea on the springs needed for this.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
you are in the realm of custom solutions, to do this you are going to need to put on the wheels and tires that you are thinking of using or at least something close, remove your shocks, bump stops, and sway bar and figure out where your limits are and find solutions to those limits

with the tires i think the first issues you will hit will be the fender, so either remove or trim them again will depend on your setup

next you will hit the limit of the bushings int he control arms because they will bind as there is not much flex in the stock bushings, look at replacing them with control arms with johnny joints or heim joints on both end

once you have have the maximum about of tire stuffing you like measure for how much bump stop you need and measure for the compression length of the shock, as well as find your maximum droop before the coils fall out, and if you need to get limit straps figure out a mounting plan for that and measure what your shock extension length will be

most likely you are looking at a remote reservoir shock to allow for the most articulation on the stock setup

that all being said you are going to be spending just the same as you would be in buying a quality kit

OP
OP
Glamisfan

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Thanks for that information guys! I’m the type of person that would rather make my own anything then buy from someone else. I’m going to be fabricating up my own bumpers and rear cubby storage box. I have a bunch of inch and a quarter rod ends laying around my garage plus some 2 inch by quarter inch wall DOM from a super duty front suspension project that I never did.
I had forgotten about the stock arms not allowing enough articulation. I’m kind of just looking for an easy route to go that will give me at least 10 or 11 inches of travel, without having the jeep taken apart for days which tends to piss the wife off.

I have been saving up a lot of information that people have been posting. I think it was Anndee above that made out a big list of showing all the different shock links and travel possible. But without taking the jeep apart it’s hard for me to get everything figured out in my head and get a good game plan going. Again thanks for the responses I am looking forward to any more good information.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I completely understand the goal, just trying to think of a cost effective way to make it happen. What size tires are you wanting to run? We could do some 2.5” coils from a 2dr which would get you about 1.5” of lift and possibly you could build some shock extensions so youre not having to run a bunch of bump stops to protect the shocks from bottoming out. Flip side is a reduction in ground clearance and not be able to use the MC outboard shock mounts. caster could be corrected with some control arms. The factory arms aren’t terrible for flex and I don’t think we’re going to be getting a ton out of it before getting into fender.

For sure gut the fenders.

ill have to think on this one. Easiest would be to get some steps for her and a lift of your choosing for you!

brett

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I'm fairly certain that the minimum shock length possible with stock mounts & bump stops is 15.63" (this is what came on the Sport trim level). The Metalcloak RockSport Long Travel shocks have a collapsed length of 17.7", which means that you would need to either lower the bottom mount 2", or raise the upper mount 2" (or some combo to make up the 2" difference).

The rear Metalcloak shocks are only 0.31" longer than OEM Rubicon, so they'll likely bolt on with no modifications.

Front droop is around 12.3", but rear droop will be closer to 8.3". I have no idea on the springs needed for this.
Id have to pull some out of the box and compare but the MC rocksports are the same front and rear and quite a bit longer stroke that the factory Rubicon shocks. I’ll try to measure what the rubicon ones are in the morning.

brett

OP
OP
Glamisfan

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I’m going with 37’s on the stock wheels with 1 1/2” spacers. From what I gather I’ll need 1 or 2 inches more bump stop. Hoping none or 1” though. I have no problem cutting a little to make the tires stuff. But I think that’s only possible on the rear? I guess I need to unbolt the stock shocks and cycle the suspension to see how much travel the stock springs can handle. And I’m not opposed to replacing the springs if it’s a must. I just don’t want 3 1/2” of lift.

I just sold my Super Duty that I had for 14 years. It had 10” lift, 38x15.50x20 tires, and a custom rear air ride with 16” travel. I loved it, but my better half absolutely hated it. So I’m trying to do a mellow build this time. Make it more capable, but keep it feeling close to stock.

There‘s a thread on here that has a few people saying that their JLUR’s on 37’s feel so close to stock that their wife‘s can‘t even tell It has bigger tires. That’s my goal, while also getting more travel and articulation.

OP
OP
Glamisfan

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Here’s some posts that I found very interesting.

A32303E3-354E-423E-8A32-5BD6B6AF8A1B.png

9AC25C95-78CD-4A02-AEC6-193D659A7948.png

D55B42E7-8950-4575-8BE3-65C73929127E.png

CA9D9CE2-29F2-4485-992F-A00C0C989A0B.png

568ECD5B-AE47-4C72-B51B-2EB4E4AE0561.png

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Here’s some posts that I found very interesting.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximum travel/ least amount of lift 568ECD5B-AE47-4C72-B51B-2EB4E4AE0561

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximum travel/ least amount of lift 568ECD5B-AE47-4C72-B51B-2EB4E4AE0561
Those are slightly out of date, and I've made some revisions to some of the calculations since. Here's what it would look like with a 1.5" lift (Your setup might be slightly different, as not all JLs start at the same height):
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximum travel/ least amount of lift Untitled
Sponsored