Max wheel weight for the Dana 30?

nunziotocci

First Name
Annunziato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Husqvarna Svartpilen 701
I want to get Firestone Destination MT/2s in the 33" size. I plan on also getting Rubicon coil/shock takeoffs.

The problem is that they are very heavy compared to my current tires (the stock bridgestone). How heavy can my tire/wheel combo be before I have to upgrade to the Dana 44? I have the stock Dana 30 on my JLU Sport.

While I'm here, does anybody recommend a specific axle gearing? I will probably go with the 4.10 of the Rubicon if I re-gear.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I want to get Firestone Destination MT/2s in the 33" size. I plan on also getting Rubicon coil/shock takeoffs.

The problem is that they are very heavy compared to my current tires (the stock bridgestone). How heavy can my tire/wheel combo be before I have to upgrade to the Dana 44? I have the stock Dana 30 on my JLU Sport.

While I'm here, does anybody recommend a specific axle gearing? I will probably go with the 4.10 of the Rubicon if I re-gear.
Most would suggest keeping on the lookout for Rubicon take off axles, before sinking a decent amount of cash into regearing a 30.

Hopefully someone will chime in with their thoughts about a weight threshold. I've read warnings about go bigger than 35's.

OP
OP

nunziotocci

First Name
Annunziato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most would suggest keeping on the lookout for Rubicon take off axles, before sinking a decent amount of cash into regearing a 30.
I agree. I've been keeping an eye on the member marketplace for something local, but nothing's come up since I started. Based on what I've seen it's easier (and possibly cheaper) to get takeoff axles and install them than to regear the front and back.

I also don't want to drop that cash just yet. My stock tires still haven't worn out either so I'm in no rush to upgrade at this time.

Does anybody have a list of Rubicon undercarriage parts that are different from the sport? I haven't seen any, and I'd like to upgrade everything that I can. The reason I want to go with 33s is because there is a stock configuration that does that and I don't want to over-wear my drivetrain/suspension/stearing.

Hopefully someone will chime in with their thoughts about a weight threshold. I've read warnings about go bigger than 35's.
Yeah, these warnings don't make sense to me, because it feels like the weight matters more.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. I've been keeping an eye on the member marketplace for something local, but nothing's come up since I started. Based on what I've seen it's easier (and possibly cheaper) to get takeoff axles and install them than to regear the front and back.

I also don't want to drop that cash just yet. My stock tires still haven't worn out either so I'm in no rush to upgrade at this time.

Does anybody have a list of Rubicon undercarriage parts that are different from the sport? I haven't seen any, and I'd like to upgrade everything that I can. The reason I want to go with 33s is because there is a stock configuration that does that and I don't want to over-wear my drivetrain/suspension/stearing.

Yeah, these warnings don't make sense to me, because it feels like the weight matters more.
Physical weight is definitely important. 1 additional lb of static weight causes 4 lbs of added torsional load, which I've read in these pages a few times.

A taller tire gives the ground more leverage over the axles centerline. This puts both the drivetrain and braking system under an increased load.

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
There isn't really any difference between a dana 30 and a 44 when it comes to weight. Weight stresses the axle tubes, FAD casting, ball joints, unit bearings, and flanges. All that stuff is virtually identical on the sport and rubicon.

Tire diameter is what stresses the internals, and that's where rubis have a big advantage. But I wouldn't have any reservations about running 33s on a dana 30. You simply are not going to have the kind of traction required to break something, especially if you don't put a locker on the front. And I wouldn't touch the gears either if you have an automatic trans. With a manual trans you might want to go up to 4.56 or 4.88.

Sponsored

OP
OP

nunziotocci

First Name
Annunziato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There isn't really any difference between a dana 30 and a 44 when it comes to weight. Weight stresses the axle tubes, FAD casting, ball joints, unit bearings, and flanges. All that stuff is virtually identical on the sport and rubicon.

Tire diameter is what stresses the internals, and that's where rubis have a big advantage. But I wouldn't have any reservations about running 33s on a dana 30. You simply are not going to have the kind of traction required to break something, especially if you don't put a locker on the front. And I wouldn't touch the gears either if you have an automatic trans. With a manual trans you might want to go up to 4.56 or 4.88.
I have the manual tranny (and a recall for that matter). If I'm going to be regearing, I feel like the bigger axles are a better platform to do that.

At the very least, it should be easier to find parts for the 44.

Thanks all, for the help! I'll be sure to log what I end up going with.

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
I have the manual tranny (and a recall for that matter). If I'm going to be regearing, I feel like the bigger axles are a better platform to do that.

At the very least, it should be easier to find parts for the 44.

Thanks all, for the help! I'll be sure to log what I end up going with.
Sounds good. Just to throw it out there, another option instead of regearing would be a rubi transfer case. In 4 low it would feel like you have 5.07 gears.

VageboundJLU

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Hey ,
I run 33s on a manual and honestly 6th gear has become useless if the ground is not flat.
I have buddies who have swapped to Dana 44s, but I personally want to build my Dana 30. I have a DANA 44 in the rear so I don't see the point in a axel swap to gain a little more length.
I seem to be able to get just as far and sometimes farther then my buddies on bigger tires and axels. A good eye and some finess has gotten me very far. I am looking at patagonia 37s because they way as much or less then most 35s. I have reached out for their weight on the 35s and hopefully soon I hear back.
Still the goal is to see how far I can push my drive train.
Sponsored