First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Considering the storage of a future boat purchase at a marina that has a ramp with trailer storage close by. My question is how heavy a boat and trailer is possible beyond the manufacturer recommendation and still able to pull it out of the water at the ramp.

Details:
JL Rubicon Unlimited
6 cylinder (unless diesel finally shows)
Auto
Ramp distance 100-200 yards
No trailering on roadway

Boat options:
Total weight 5,000
Total weight 8,000

Based on the Gladiator it would appear the Pentastar is more than capable.

Can use 4x4 along with lockers to help add traction.

My biggest concern is chassis twisting under load pulling out of the ramp.

Iā€™m well aware of not trailering beyond specified limits on the roadway but Iā€™m strictly trying to go 200 yards and able to pull the boat out. No experience with this. All has been done with trucks able to handle the load but it was with boats that weight around 10,000 so Iā€™m not foreign to towing. Just this specific application. Iā€™d rather not get a Gladiator and want to avoid having to get a dedicated tow vehicle such a half ton or 2500 class.
Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I used to tow my trophy 1902 on aluminum trailer with my ā€˜07 JKUX. It had a 4ā€ lift and 37s, but no regearing, just the standard 4:10s that came with the towing package. I think it would have towed better stock, but who knows?

Anyway, that boat/ trailer combo was rated right about 3500lbs dry, so probably a bit more loaded with fuel, oil, etc. And I pulled it up boat ramps many times and never even used 4wd, never mind lockers (which I didnā€™t have). I would not use lockers/4wd to pull a boat out unless it was dirt though, too risky.

That being said, I looked at a boat ramp with trailer storage like you describe. My opinion is donā€™t bother - save the trailer money and put it in a high and dry. No dealing with the boat ramp BS, people pulling their boats up 5 feet then taking 30 minutes to organize stuff, no hooking up to the trailer, no trailer maintenance, etc. where are you located? I did extensive research before going into a high and dry in the Tampa area

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
My hours donā€™t align with high and dry. Sitting on a trailer with 24/7 access required.

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Sport S, 2021 Gladiator 80th
I used to launch a 19' CC boat using a Subaru Brat.
I also used to launch a 25' sail boat using a Suzuki Samurai under similar circumstances as you are talking.
My guess is both boat/rigs were around 3000-3,500 lbs and the Zuki and Brat were rated for around 1000.
I did have to beef up the hitches for the tongue weight, but I would put those little suckers in 4wd low and they just crawled up/down the ramp.

I would do 5000 with my 2 door wrangler under the same conditions, not sure about 8000.

I don't understand not wanting to use 4wd (and mostly 4wd low range) for launching a boat.
You don't want to do a lot of maneuvering in 4WD if the surface is paved/concrete, but up/down the ramp itself, hell yea.

Sponsored

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
I'll start with I don't have a JL yet, but I do have a boat, and I have a lot of experience towing and boating. I used to tow a double jet ski trailer with an old 91 Honda Accord. Though the skis and trailer weighed about 2500# (way over the Accord's recommended tow capacity), it did great. At some slippery launch ramps, due to front wheel drive, I could pull out easier than 2WD dually trucks. That was funny. That was long ago. You'll need to evaluate your launch ramp.

To the person who mentioned about towing with a Samurai - that's cheating. Samurais can do anything (except freeway speeds with the stock engine and 31"+ tires). I wouldn't hesitate using mine to pull my 3500# boat and trailer around the launch ramp, if only it had a hitch. Not on the road, though.

I'd speculate that a 4-door Rubicon would have no problem with a 5K# trailer in your basic needs. I wouldn't doubt that it could do the 8K# trailer, either. If you're in 4Lo, that would be easy peasy. Then once you get to the top of the ramp, switch it over to 2WD, so you have your steering back.

The driveline's ability to get the boat up and down the ramp shouldn't be a problem at all, depending on the ramp (lots of ramps don't have much slope, but I've seen some that are super steep).

But...Note that a 8K# trailer is going to put about 800# on your Jeep's hitch. That's a lot. You'll likely be popping wheelies. I can see your dilemma. Every 1000 pounds is a huge jump. I often travel with my toy hauler loaded to about 11K#s with my Ram 2500. But when I load the 2500# Samurai in there, there's a huge change in how it tows.

Can you hook up to the 8K# trailer to see if it puts your Jeep on the bump stops? Do you have any friends with boats you can test launch?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I would not worry about it at all. You are not going to be at any real speed. Towing has more to do with being able to safely stop and tongue weight. than the actual weight you can pull. I pull haywagons out of the field with 165 bales on the wagon with an ATV. No tongue weight and the trailer and hay can weight north of 14000 pounds. I have to be very careful pulling up to the barn to unload so I don't get pushed into the barn or a fence.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I used to launch a 19' CC boat using a Subaru Brat.
I also used to launch a 25' sail boat using a Suzuki Samurai under similar circumstances as you are talking.
My guess is both boat/rigs were around 3000-3,500 lbs and the Zuki and Brat were rated for around 1000.
I did have to beef up the hitches for the tongue weight, but I would put those little suckers in 4wd low and they just crawled up/down the ramp.

I would do 5000 with my 2 door wrangler under the same conditions, not sure about 8000.

I don't understand not wanting to use 4wd (and mostly 4wd low range) for launching a boat.
You don't want to do a lot of maneuvering in 4WD if the surface is paved/concrete, but up/down the ramp itself, hell yea.
Iā€™ve used 4WD in the past with an Armada only because I wanted to see if any advantage. Thing is that SUV pulled 9k with ease. Figured with the JLU it might be needed. Ramps can be slippery as you know.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I'll start with I don't have a JL yet, but I do have a boat, and I have a lot of experience towing and boating. I used to tow a double jet ski trailer with an old 91 Honda Accord. Though the skis and trailer weighed about 2500# (way over the Accord's recommended tow capacity), it did great. At some slippery launch ramps, due to front wheel drive, I could pull out easier than 2WD dually trucks. That was funny. That was long ago. You'll need to evaluate your launch ramp.

To the person who mentioned about towing with a Samurai - that's cheating. Samurais can do anything (except freeway speeds with the stock engine and 31"+ tires). I wouldn't hesitate using mine to pull my 3500# boat and trailer around the launch ramp, if only it had a hitch. Not on the road, though.

I'd speculate that a 4-door Rubicon would have no problem with a 5K# trailer in your basic needs. I wouldn't doubt that it could do the 8K# trailer, either. If you're in 4Lo, that would be easy peasy. Then once you get to the top of the ramp, switch it over to 2WD, so you have your steering back.

The driveline's ability to get the boat up and down the ramp shouldn't be a problem at all, depending on the ramp (lots of ramps don't have much slope, but I've seen some that are super steep).

But...Note that a 8K# trailer is going to put about 800# on your Jeep's hitch. That's a lot. You'll likely be popping wheelies. I can see your dilemma. Every 1000 pounds is a huge jump. I often travel with my toy hauler loaded to about 11K#s with my Ram 2500. But when I load the 2500# Samurai in there, there's a huge change in how it tows.

Can you hook up to the 8K# trailer to see if it puts your Jeep on the bump stops? Do you have any friends with boats you can test launch?
Tongue weight and stress on the chassis gives me the most concern. Trailer will have the best breaks so not worried about stopping 8k pounds at the very low speed Iā€™d expect to be moving.

Unfortunately, donā€™t have the Jeep yet so unable to test plus most friends are just as boatless as I am.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I would not worry about it at all. You are not going to be at any real speed. Towing has more to do with being able to safely stop and tongue weight. than the actual weight you can pull. I pull haywagons out of the field with 165 bales on the wagon with an ATV. No tongue weight and the trailer and hay can weight north of 14000 pounds. I have to be very careful pulling up to the barn to unload so I don't get pushed into the barn or a fence.
Trailer will be triple axel with discs on each axel so stopping likely not my concern. Although Iā€™ve never been on a truck trying to stop more than it could handle. Depending on incline, not sure if the JL can start moving 8k. The Gladiator makes it look like it should. Same engine. Plus if I get the diesel that really shouldnā€™t be an issue.
Sponsored