Max tire size you can install on JLU Sport

6t6stang

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Any which way you look at it, you’re going to need to do something. On a sport you may need wheel spacers to compensate for not having enough offset on the factory wheels.

Also to try and mitigate tire rub on your frame I’d suggest considering a narrower tire. You’d be surprised what a difference a tire with an inch less in width and I’ll make. Play around with various p-metric combos to get the desired tire height.

Also not sure if you plan to off road the Jeep or not. Whether you or or aren’t you will need to do something to avoid tire rub on the fenders. You can get away with a budget boost which adds spacers to the factory suspension to give you lift. This will give you the clearance in your wheel wells for the larger tires. If you plan to run a BB for an extended period (nothing wrong with doing so), just make sure to pony up for a complete kit.

Im thinking of doing 1-3/4 (99$ per axle) wheel spacers and was thinking the teraflex 1.5” booster lift that’s like 180$, hopefully this makes the trick of not rubbing on either concrete daily driving and off road not rock climbing... what’s your thoughts?
Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Im thinking of doing 1-3/4 (99$ per axle) wheel spacers and was thinking the teraflex 1.5” booster lift that’s like 180$, hopefully this makes the trick of not rubbing on either concrete daily driving and off road not rock climbing... what’s your thoughts?
As far as the budget boost goes, take a look at the Rough Country 2.5”. I think the complete kit is maybe $80 more than the Teraflex leveling kit you mentioned. I’ve been running that kit on my Rubicon with 37’s and no real issues except for some fender liner rub at full stuff when I was wheeling in Moab last summer.

The kit was made for 35’s on non-Rubicon’s so it’d be spot on for what you’re looking to do.

Last edited:

6t6stang

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
As far as the budget boost goes, take a look at the Rough Country 2.5”. I think the complete kit is maybe $80 more than the Teraflex leveling kit you mentioned. I’ve been running that kit on my Rubicon with 37’s and real issues except for some fender liner rub at full stuff when I was wheeling in Moab last summer.

The kit was made for 35’s on non-Rubicon’s so it’d be spot on for what you’re looking to do.

Thanks for all the help man!! So should I skip on the wheel spacers? And just go with the rough country 2.5”??

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
You still may need them, though it will depend on the tires you choose. The wider you go, the more chances of them scrubbing the frame at full lock when you turn. Not saying you need pizza cutters, but you can certainly find a happy medium that will give you the height without sacrificing the visual with width. Last thing I’ll mention here, tire weight is also something to keep in mind. The lighter the tire, the more happy your Jeep will be under acceleration and braking.

Something else you’ll need to consider so your spare tire. You will likely need either a wheel spacer or a relocation bracket in order for the tire to clear the bumper. Again I’ll throw a nod out to Rough Country for their spare tire relocation bracket. Maybe not s long term solution, but something to get you by until your needs change.

Micky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
have a couple of questions to tack on this.
1. Do rubicon wheels have different backspacing as Sport wheels?

2. It seems to me that 285/70/17 is about the limit. but not really clear on that. would a 265 or 275/70/17 work with out wheel rub? Especially if i am taking it on some occasional mountain road with periodic rocks, holes and tight turns

Sponsored

alkupik

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Toyota Sienna, and M5
I am also interested in knowing the max tire size for the sport and it’s stock wheels without any lift. Planning on keeping the euro trim on the bumper as well

WhtJlS

First Name
Jhony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Good Afternoon everyone,

I'm sure this might have been asked and answered but looking to see if any knows the max tire size you can install on a stock base JLU sport without installing any lift?

Cheers
I looked for about 2+ weeks with mix reactions/experiences. I decided to give it a try and go for it. Specs:

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport with 10K Miles

Wheels:TACTIK Circle 8 Classic Wheel in 17x9 with 4.75in Backspace" Bolt Pattern: 5x5/Size: 17x9/Backspacing: 4.75/Offset: - 6.35mm/Wheel Diameter: 17/Wheel Width: 9.0. I was able to use the same lug/nuts with no problem.

Tires : Cooper AT3 XLT LT315/70/R17(according to tire calculator this this is 34.4" x 12.4" 587Revs and 107.9R)

The only thing that had to be removed was the front bumper dust shield on each side about 5 screws 10 minutes on each side and thats it.
As far as driving,you cant really tell that bigger tires were installed,still drives as it did with the OEM wheels and tires.No rubbing while normal driving. A few days ago I had 3 people in the back one in the front and myself and while turning and going over a deep pothole the rear tire did hit the flare but didnt cause any damage. I've put about 400 miles and I have had any issues. I know as the time goes by the suspension will sag a little,at that point i will do a lift but for now is more than fine.I'm super happy with the outcome,Now it definitely feels and looks like a jeep. I hope this post helps others out there.

IMG_3953.jpg

IMG_3955.jpg

IMG_3956.jpg

IMG_3963.jpg

IMG_3966.jpg

IMG_3974.JPG

IMG_3977.jpg

IMG_3978.jpg

IMG_3979.jpg

IMG_3980.jpg

IMG_3981.jpg

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I looked for about 2+ weeks with mix reactions/experiences. I decided to give it a try and go for it. Specs:

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport with 10K Miles

Wheels:TACTIK Circle 8 Classic Wheel in 17x9 with 4.75in Backspace" Bolt Pattern: 5x5/Size: 17x9/Backspacing: 4.75/Offset: - 6.35mm/Wheel Diameter: 17/Wheel Width: 9.0. I was able to use the same lug/nuts with no problem.

Tires : Cooper AT3 XLT LT315/70/R17(according to tire calculator this this is 34.4" x 12.4" 587Revs and 107.9R)

The only thing that had to be removed was the front bumper dust shield on each side about 5 screws 10 minutes on each side and thats it.
As far as driving,you cant really tell that bigger tires were installed,still drives as it did with the OEM wheels and tires.No rubbing while normal driving. A few days ago I had 3 people in the back one in the front and myself and while turning and going over a deep pothole the rear tire did hit the flare but didnt cause any damage. I've put about 400 miles and I have had any issues. I know as the time goes by the suspension will sag a little,at that point i will do a lift but for now is more than fine.I'm super happy with the outcome,Now it definitely feels and looks like a jeep. I hope this post helps others out there.

IMG_3974.JPG

IMG_3978.jpg

IMG_3979.jpg

IMG_3980.jpg
That looks pretty nice!

Im considering 315s or 305s installed this week on my '18 JLU Sport S. Today im installing the Rubicon high line fenders with the LED DRLs..

I installed the Rubicon end caps yesterday. This will give me about 2" more clearance in the front and 1 1/2" more clearance in the rear.

Since your install have you experienced any major issues with the 315s?
Sponsored