First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Philanthropist and Adventurer
For the overlanders...how are y'all "fitting" your gear on your JL's? I have a JLUR with a max payload of a whopping 850lbs (per sticker). I see videos with racks and RTT's along with plenty of camping gear aboard.

Driver: 180lbs
Passenger: 120lbs
Hardtop: 150lbs (I currently have soft top)
Rack: 100lbs
RTT: 125lbs
Winch: 150lbs
Fridge: 50lbs
-----------
Total: 875lbs (Estimate)

So i'm already exceeding max payload and I don't have camping gear and food added, yet. Thanks!
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
YOLO is the approach I think most are taking with this from what I have seen. Trying to keep your gear light is about the best thing you can do aside from pulling a trailer. I bought one ton axles (for a variety of reasons), but that's an expensive mod and still no guarantees that something else wont give.

Jeep Wrangler JL Max Payload for Overlanding kid-lick

FsT4WrD

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU
That's estimated for stock tires. I run 1k lbs. with my set up and never included me and passenger weight. No issues and just re-geared to get 7th 8th gear back and mpg's.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Vehicles run overloaded all the time. Most people don't even know what GVWR or payload is, they just load until it's full.

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Vehicles run overloaded all the time. Most people don't even know what GVWR or payload is, they just load until it's full.
Yup...I'm planning to drive 12,000ish miles and I'm trying to be smart about it. Thanks!

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
You can't change the sticker, but you can change the components that impact driving characteristics. Your GVWR will never change, but you can purchase springs that carry a heavier weight for instance. You'll technically be "overweight", but you may be able to make your vehicle handle the way you want it to while carrying that extra weight.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
And you didn’t even add the weight of the 35” tires & rims, air compressors, trail lights, bumpers, tire carriers, interior racks, tailgate tables, rock rails, tools, etc.

my answer for you:
1) lose some body weight
2) pack light
3) drive naked
4) take a dump before you get behind the wheel

Or, simply do your best to pack lightly and then don’t worry about it.

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
upgrade brakes would probably be the first thing to consider after suspension. Just drive extra safe.

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Here in Aus you can get pulled over and weighed, so staying in the limits is critical. We get a decent towing amount (5500lb) so I just use a camper and keep the Jeep just for people and road trip stuff with a small fridge and second battery (Lithium 48AH). Keeps is well under the GVM and the trailer has brakes so the additional weight is not an issue for it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Max Payload for Overlanding 20210611_170336

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Seems like the simple answer is to buy a bigger truck if you want to haul more stuff... It is that, or as already mentioned, do your best and take your chances.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
For the overlanders...how are y'all "fitting" your gear on your JL's? I have a JLUR with a max payload of a whopping 850lbs (per sticker). I see videos with racks and RTT's along with plenty of camping gear aboard.

Driver: 180lbs
Passenger: 120lbs
Hardtop: 150lbs (I currently have soft top)
Rack: 100lbs
RTT: 125lbs
Winch: 150lbs
Fridge: 50lbs
-----------
Total: 875lbs (Estimate)

So i'm already exceeding max payload and I don't have camping gear and food added, yet. Thanks!
The moment you put a RTT on that Jeep. Then you know you will end up over payload. It just doesn't take much. Everyone doing the RTT thing is over payload, and they seem to be alright. So just be mindful, drive slow, pack as light as you can, check your suspension components more often than not.

Ill be honest. That payload capacity of 850lbs is a joke and mostly due to tires. The JL real payload I think is 1,100lbs or something like that. I'd say try to stay below 1,200. That from the research I gathered sometime ago when I found out my payload was 750lbs and my corolla had a much higher payload. Which by the fact, I have gone above the 750lbs on my JL and pretty close to 1,000lbs on my corolla. The corolla was UNSAFE to drive. The Jeep? I didnt even feel it.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Here in Aus you can get pulled over and weighed, so staying in the limits is critical. We get a decent towing amount (5500lb) so I just use a camper and keep the Jeep just for people and road trip stuff with a small fridge and second battery (Lithium 48AH). Keeps is well under the GVM and the trailer has brakes so the additional weight is not an issue for it.
Aus gets a higher towing rating then the US. I imagine it’s because you have speed limits when towing. In most states, you can legally tow 75-80 MPH with a trailer and many don’t think about what happens when they need to slow it all down quickly.

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
And you didn’t even add the weight of the 35” tires & rims, air compressors, trail lights, bumpers, tire carriers, interior racks, tailgate tables, rock rails, etc.

my answer for you:
1) lose some body weight
2) pack light
3) drive naked
4) take a dump before you get behind the wheel

Or, simply do your best to pack lightly and then don’t worry about it.

I'm scratching off the lift and 35" tires to keep weight down and it'll probably be better on highways.

Tailer is my second option. I just hate the thought of hauling it through cities. Thanks!

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

Private vehicles can be weighed (and fined) in Australia? Interesting.

if you loaded up your jeep (not the trailer), with a bunch of stuff….. at what point are you overweight and/or, what is the weight (overage) based on?
Sponsored