Match axle shafts?

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I might have a bad rear wheel bearing. Would it matter if I replaced the offending axle shaft with an upgraded chromoly shaft because I’m lazy and it has the pre-installed bearing?
Sponsored

Newbalewb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Wrangler X
If it was me, I’d prob replace both with upgraded chromoly shafts while you’re doing the project

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
If it was me, I’d prob replace both with upgraded chromoly shafts while you’re doing the project
I’m trying to avoid dumping too much into these D44’s. I’m worried with Chromolies I’ll break the ring/pinion instead of bending an axle shaft if I’m bumping over something and mess up. I totally get the logic, just being cheap (until it’s Currie-60 time).

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I might have a bad rear wheel bearing. Would it matter if I replaced the offending axle shaft with an upgraded chromoly shaft because I’m lazy and it has the pre-installed bearing?
Nah, it won't matter. I have about a dozen Rubicon axle shaft assemblies here. You can just have one.

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Nah, it won't matter. I have about a dozen Rubicon axle shaft assemblies here. You can just have one.
Ended up being a pinion bearing. I’ve got another thread going about the saga with the shop that did my regear. Only thing I let someone else do on my Jeep and it went poorly. I’m teaching myself to set up gears or just upgrading in spring to 1 tons.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Ended up being a pinion bearing. I’ve got another thread going about the saga with the shop that did my regear. Only thing I let someone else do on my Jeep and it went poorly. I’m teaching myself to set up gears or just upgrading in spring to 1 tons.
Let me know if you need any help with the gears.

I've also made the jump to bigger axles, myself.

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Let me know if you need any help with the gears.

I've also made the jump to bigger axles, myself.
I'm going to see if I know anybody locally that does them, I think my club has at least 1 person. My boss also has a friend that owns his own shop nearby.
1-tons are the easy answer for my existing rig, but I think I'd rather get the knowledge and use the money on tools. I have a feeling it will pay off in the long term. Thanks Shawn!
Sponsored