Sponsored

Mastercraft Courser MXT (D rated) vs BFGoodrich KO2 (C rated)

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm looking into new tires (315/70/17) for JLUR I ordered. If i can get away with one set of wheels/tires, then I'd love that! However, it's my DD and we do a fair amount of trips with it on the highway. I was thinking that I'd really need to get two sets of wheels. One for offroad and one for a smooth road/traveling setup.

I'm hearing that the mastercraft courser mxt is a great tire and is quiet and smooth but is that just in comparison to other MTs? It has to be louder/rougher riding than the BFGoodrich KO2s, right? It's even 2 lbs lighter according to website specs.
Sponsored

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 JLUR 392 Anvil ordered 5-10-23
I'm looking into new tires (315/70/17) for JLUR I ordered. If i can get away with one set of wheels/tires, then I'd love that! However, it's my DD and we do a fair amount of trips with it on the highway. I was thinking that I'd really need to get two sets of wheels. One for offroad and one for a smooth road/traveling setup.

I'm hearing that the mastercraft courser mxt is a great tire and is quiet and smooth but is that just in comparison to other MTs? It has to be louder/rougher riding than the BFGoodrich KO2s, right? It's even 2 lbs lighter according to website specs.
I am interesting in hearing feedback as well due to the overwhelmingly positive reviews of the MXT. The price is considerably cheaper, and as you mentioned, lighter. Hoping others with experience regarding the MXT will chime in.

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Apache Junction, AZ and North Mankato, MN
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito Rubicon JLU, 2004 Corvette convertible, 2015 HD Road Glide, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
Occupation
Retired
I am in the same boat. Does anyone know what the total combined weight of the standard wheel and tire on the JL Rubicon is? I think what I’m looking at for an upgrade is 89 lbs., 64 lbs. for the tire and 25 lbs. for the wheel.

ZeeCutt

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLUR

I had the same debate on tires also, going back and forth between KO2's and MXT, i ended up buying the MXT because they simply looked cooler, in my opinion, and were lighter... i will be happy to give you feedback when i get them installed on my jeep when it come in, about 7-10 days out. I ended up getting 37" MXT, only 69 lbs, loved the D rating vs and E.

ZeeCutt

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLUR
I am in the same boat. Does anyone know what the total combined weight of the standard wheel and tire on the JL Rubicon is? I think what I’m looking at for an upgrade is 89 lbs., 64 lbs. for the tire and 25 lbs. for the wheel.
I heard the stock tire and wheel combo were about 76-79 lbs... Fuel makes some really nice 17x9 wheels that are only 25-27 lbs. 35" MXT's only weigh about 62lbs and the 37's i got were only 69 lbs... there are a lot of 35" tires out there that weigh 75-79 lbs... let alone 37" that weigh 84-85lbs.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I heard the stock tire and wheel combo were about 76-79 lbs... Fuel makes some really nice 17x9 wheels that are only 25-27 lbs. 35" MXT's only weigh about 62lbs and the 37's i got were only 69 lbs... there are a lot of 35" tires out there that weigh 75-79 lbs... let alone 37" that weigh 84-85lbs.
How are you liking the MXT? Have you had issues offroad with the 2 ply sidewall?

dna44

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Cybersecurity Ninja
Ironically I've seen multiple posts about these tires in the past couple of days. Also ironically, I just got a set of these mounted on my OEM Rubicon wheels in 37x12.50r17.

Yes, they are louder than the BFG KO2's but they're not obnoxious. My Rubicon is my daily driver and I commute to the office a few days per week on the highway with these. So far they've been quite impressive for a true MT.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Ironically I've seen multiple posts about these tires in the past couple of days. Also ironically, I just got a set of these mounted on my OEM Rubicon wheels in 37x12.50r17.

Yes, they are louder than the BFG KO2's but they're not obnoxious. My Rubicon is my daily driver and I commute to the office a few days per week on the highway with these. So far they've been quite impressive for a true MT.
Pics?

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
these tires are amazing. I am quite shocked at how smooth and quiet they ride (mine are 37x12.5r17). the difference in noise between these and the K02's is barely even noticeable. I'm sure they will become more like a mud tire after 30k miles and become louder, but I'm not concerned as they are easy and cheap to replace

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I didn't realize until yesterday that the LT-C KO2s have 2-ply sidewalls. I was looking at a set I just bought and saw that stamped on the sidewall and was like whoa!

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I didn't realize until yesterday that the LT-C KO2s have 2-ply sidewalls. I was looking at a set I just bought and saw that stamped on the sidewall and was like whoa!
I've taken my 315/70/17 ko2 load c's in the rocks quite a few places with no issues. Popped a bead once and scratched the wheels and undercarriage...they seem pretty durable. They do cake up in the mud.

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech
Dna44, you running any wheel spacers and do you have any rubbing issues when flexing?
Sponsored