Massive Frame Weld Issues

Rutterbg

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I am posting this so other's can see it is not just recalled jeeps having weld issues. I have attached a lot of pictures to demonstrate the poorly done welds that could cause catastrophic failures. The first one I posted is on the frame rail just behind the passenger side wheel. Had I taken my rig off road and fully articulated, it is highly likely this weld would have failed and been catastrophic. I currently have a case open with Jeep Cares and should hear back tomorrow from a case manager. At that point, I hope to get in touch with the regional customer service manager so I can initiate the buy back process. I will do my best to keep this thread updated! Stay safe out there!

20190611_193024[1].jpg

20190611_193437[1].jpg

20190611_193055[1].jpg

20190611_192145[1].jpg

20190611_192056[1].jpg

20190611_192046[1].jpg

20190611_191938[1].jpg

20190611_143445[1].jpg

20190611_143347[1].jpg

20190611_143332[1].jpg

20190611_143309[1].jpg

20190611_143251[1].jpg

20190611_142844[1].jpg

20190611_142801[1].jpg

20190611_142712[1].jpg

20190611_142706[1].jpg

20190611_131709[1].jpg
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
While not great they are not horrible. Seen worse ones. The ones under the frame rail are just boxing it in more. Fully flexing wont cause any damage to it. I agree they should reweld some spots, maybe new frame if its easier. But a lot of those arent terrible.

OP
OP
Rutterbg

Rutterbg

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
While not great they are not horrible. Seen worse ones. The ones under the frame rail are just boxing it in more. Fully flexing wont cause any damage to it. I agree they should reweld some spots, maybe new frame if its easier. But a lot of those arent terrible.
Oh I have definitely see worse as well. But these are by no means acceptable. A couple of winters from now, these welds will be a nightmare. Point being, it should have never left the factory with this bad of welds. The rust will be out of control in a years time. Now I know to check them before accepting delivery!

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yeah, definitely not pretty welds, but I've seen worse too. That's not to say that just because I've seen worse, that they are acceptable in less than ideal condition. I mention that I've seen worse because I'm not confident that they would fail even if you did some serious off-roading. That said, I completely understand you not wanting to risk it. I only mention that I've also seen worse to give you peace of mind while driving it until you get a satisfactory resolution. I hope they take care of you without much hassle.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I have definitely see worse as well. But these are by no means acceptable. A couple of winters from now, these welds will be a nightmare. Point being, it should have never left the factory with this bad of welds. The rust will be out of control in a years time. Now I know to check them before accepting delivery!
Yeah i agree. Shouldnt look like that

Sponsored

Parispete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2 Door Rirecracker Red
Occupation
Highway inspector
I have been an ironworker, pipefitter, and all around construction. I would stop in and see a certified welder and get a report from him and a couple others. Take then to court to fix that junk. all those small holes to see in those welds will get water up in them and can pool up and start the rust long before you will ever see it. I am looking forward to getting my jeep, but if the welds look like that they can keep it til they are good and certified by a welder and not a zap welder with no name. Looks bad bud. what is that frame on? Sport or Rubicon or in between?

OP
OP
Rutterbg

Rutterbg

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I have been an ironworker, pipefitter, and all around construction. I would stop in and see a certified welder and get a report from him and a couple others. Take then to court to fix that junk. all those small holes to see in those welds will get water up in them and can pool up and start the rust long before you will ever see it. I am looking forward to getting my jeep, but if the welds look like that they can keep it til they are good and certified by a welder and not a zap welder with no name. Looks bad bud. what is that frame on? Sport or Rubicon or in between?
This is on a sport s. I haven't even thrown it on a lift yet to really get a good look. This is just from on the ground looking up under. I can only imagine how bad it is where I can't see. I'm definitely aiming for a buy back. Too much risk in their so called rapair welds.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU

LateBraking

First Name
Y'all a cult.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
OP
OP
Rutterbg

Rutterbg

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/JEEP/WRANGLER#investigations461

There's a NHTSA investigation into the issue. I would call with the investigation number and add your car to the complaint so they know that the issue exists and isn't just a one-off. My rust is a bit worse than yours, which I posted in the other thread.
I did this as of yesterday and saw today it was posted on their site. My jeep just broke 5000 miles and has yet to see a winter. Next year this time, the rust would be out of control. Hopefully I'll be in a new one soon!

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I don't understand. I've owned many regular cars and SUVs over the years and never heard of welding issues. But how can a vehicle like a Jeep, which is designed for off-road, have more structural welding problems than vehicles not designed for off-roading? Or maybe there are welding problems for regular cars, but I've been lucky over the years and happened to have never heard of welding problems before? Makes no sense.

LateBraking

First Name
Y'all a cult.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
For some reason I didn't see this post until californiajeeping made a post. Wonder why?

That is very helpful seeing the STAR publication. It seems that at least one of my welds falls beyond the scope of "acceptable" as merely "slag" so hopefully I can expect a positive resolution of some sort on the matter. Can't find the bulk of my pics but here's a multi-pic image I do have on hand.

rust-png.png

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I don't understand. I've owned many regular cars and SUVs over the years and never heard of welding issues. But how can a vehicle like a Jeep, which is designed for off-road, have more structural welding problems than vehicles not designed for off-roading? Or maybe there are welding problems for regular cars, but I've been lucky over the years and happened to have never heard of welding problems before? Makes no sense.
The weld issue isn't because it's a Wrangler, it just happens to be an issue that occurred on the Wrangler. The cause is likely a mechanical issue with the robot doing the welding, a defective batch of welding wire/stick, improper programming of the robot (speed, arc distance, etc) or improperly prepped surfaces. It could have been with any vehicle, it just happens that this is the one it happened with. It has nothing to do with it being a Jeep, or Wrangler.
It's also possible that other vehicles have had similar issues, but the owners of those types of vehicles aren't looking as closely as we are. How many people driving a Kia Rio, or Grand Caravan actually look under the car, much less examine the welds? I'd venture to guess they're very few and far between. Add to that, the less demanding use of a daily car and the defect causing failure is probably lower too. Really this could be a more common thing than we realize, but the Wrangler owners are the first to notice and/or make a fuss about it.

OP
OP
Rutterbg

Rutterbg

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Today I met with a new dealership as the one I purchased from has not been of any help. The one I spoke with today is opening a case with the rcsm immediately and sending photos. The service manager agrees that the welds are really bad and that he wouldn't want to be stuck driving my jeep after a winter or two. Hopefully in the coming week or two, FCA will have agreed to do a buyback so I can get in a new Jeep and look back on this.

Last edited:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
FWIW, there was slag/spatter on some of the welds on my Ram. I never really gave it much thought, but according to what I'm reading, slag is enough to consider it defective? If that's the case, this whole weld thing reaches well beyond the JL. Although FWIW, I don't remember seeing any pits or gaps in the welds on my Ram. Then again, I wasn't inspecting them. I only noticed the slag because it was sharp, and I felt it while running air line along the frame for load assist airbags.
Sponsored