Marchionne passes away. Mike Manley, head of Jeep, named FCA CEO

ModdedJK

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Damn he's in an irreversible coma :(

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...hionne-embolism-cancer-surgery-italian-report

Former Fiat Chrysler Automobiles CEO Sergio Marchionne suffered an embolism while undergoing an operation for an invasive shoulder sarcoma and has irreversible damage to his brain function, and he had failed to tell Exor Chairman John Elkann of the seriousness of his illness, an Italian business website reported Tuesday.

Lettera43, in an exclusive report Tuesday citing anonymous sources, said Marchionne, 66, had been diagnosed "long ago" with the invasive shoulder sarcoma — a malignant form of cancer that can develop in the body's soft tissue — and "expressed some doubts" about the effectiveness of the high-risk operation he underwent at the University of Zurich in late June.

Sources told Lettera43, which has led coverage of Marchionne's illness, that during the operation, Marchionne was struck by a cerebral embolism, plunging him into a coma. It also claims that Marchionne is now being kept alive only by machines, and that doctors said there was no hope of recovery.

According to the American Heart Association, an embolism occurs when a blood clot or piece of fatty plaque breaks loose and travels through the bloodstream and becomes lodged in a blood vessel and blocks blood flow.

When an embolism blocks the flow of blood to the brain, it is called a cerebral embolism, a type of stroke.

Lettera43 says Marchionne suffered for some time from "severe shoulder pain that made arm movements difficult," according to a translation, and that he took cortisone to soothe them. It says that Marchionne also suffered from a chronic thyroid condition for which he had been taking medications for an extended period, which other sources have told Automotive News.

A spokeswoman for FCA US did not respond to a request for comment on the report.

Advertisement

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
I’m really bummed about this sad story. I’ve always admired people who take on impossible tasks and succeed. Fiat and Chrysler were both in tough shape when he took over, and remember, he wasn’t a “car guy”, but somehow through force of will and by identifying, selecting and trusting good people pulled off a remarkable turnaround. To me, the tragedy is he doesn’t get to enjoy the fruits of his labor as he was reportedly a workaholic, I just hope he appreciated what he accomplished. You have to wonder how many hundreds of thousands of jobs he saved, not to mention interesting products he helped bring to market. An impressive legacy by any measure.

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I’m really bummed about this sad story. I’ve always admired people who take on impossible tasks and succeed. Fiat and Chrysler were both in tough shape when he took over, and remember, he wasn’t a “car guy”, but somehow through force of will and by identifying, selecting and trusting good people pulled off a remarkable turnaround. To me, the tragedy is he doesn’t get to enjoy the fruits of his labor as he was reportedly a workaholic, I just hope he appreciated what he accomplished. You have to wonder how many hundreds of thousands of jobs he saved, not to mention interesting products he helped bring to market. An impressive legacy by any measure.
These are the words that were inside me and I could not get them out because of the language, thank you

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Trivia / Useless Fact: Take the first letter of each of the words in the sentence "I Am Chairman Of Chrysler Corporation of America" and it spells Lee Iacocca's last name.

(I)
(A)m
(C)hairman
(O)f
(C)hrysler
(C)orporation of
(A)merica

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
These are the words that were inside me and I could not get them out because of the language, thank you
Kind words, thank you.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 08 JKUR, 15 Ford Transit 350, 04 WJ 4.7, 17 Renegade, 99 Merc E430 S
Vehicle Showcase

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
RIP Sergio.

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
Complications from shoulder surgery. Sometimes life just isn't fair. St Peter should have a nice red Ferrari waiting for him.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The way the statements that had been put out by others at FCA sounded, that was already a foregone conclusion. It sounded to me like he was probably being kept on life support just so the family could be brought there or for some other personal / business reason that required him to still be technically "alive" even though he was quite thoroughly brain dead at that point. I've seen that sort of thing happen with all too many friends or relatives over the years. Of course, the older we get the more funerals of friends and relatives we find ourselves having to go to. :(

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Rough news to hear.

And did they really need to talk about stock market prices at the very end?

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Rough news to hear.

And did they really need to talk about stock market prices at the very end?
It's the business section of their web site, so stock prices are appropriate...

Advertisement

Chrysler Factory Warranty

Advertisement