Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Good news for Jeep! Mike Manley, who has been President and Chief Executive Office of Jeep since 2009 and Ram since 2015, has just been named as FCA CEO. He'll replace Sergio Marchionne who was set to step down as CEO next year but has been dealing with health issues after recent surgery. This news should only bode well for the Jeep brand and the Wrangler.

Automotive News Europe
July 21, 2018 17:45 CET

TURIN -- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles on Saturday appointed Mike Manley to replace the seriously ill Sergio Marchionne as its CEO, a person with direct knowledge of the situation told Automotive News Europe.

Manley, 54, a native of England, has headed Jeep since 2009 and the Ram brand since 2015.

An emergency meeting of the FCA board of directors to appoint a replacement was chaired in Turin by John Elkann, the FCA chairman and controlling shareholder of Ferrari, FCA and construction equipment maker CNH Industrial, the source said.

Marchionne, 66, had surgery on his right shoulder and needs a short period of convalescence, an FCA spokesman told Italian business website Lettera 43 on July 5. He has not been seen in public since June 26, when he delivered a Jeep Wrangler to the Carabinieri police in Rome.

http://europe.autonews.com/article/...eep-and-ram-replaces-ailing-marchionne-as-fca

Advertisement

U.S. Marine

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Jay, that is awesome news and an outstanding person for the position. I wonder if he owns a Wrangler.

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
This is good news for me
Thanks Sergio Marchionne esteemed
I wish good luck Mike Manley

p_932k7bgz1.jpg

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S
Good for FCA but maybe bad for us. Who will lead Jeep now?

TXRubicon

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '18 Porsche 718 Cayman
Things must have taken a really dire turn for Sergio over the last 24 hours. Congrats to Manley and I think he's the right person for the job, but the circumstances sound terrible.

Statement from FCA Chairman John Elkann which almost reads like an obituary:

John Elkann said:
I am profoundly saddened to learn of Sergio’s state of health. It is a situation that was unthinkable until a few hours ago, and one that leaves us all with a real sense of injustice.

My first thoughts go to Sergio and his family.

What struck me about Sergio from the very beginning, when we met to talk about the possibility of him coming to work for the Group, even more than his management skills and unusual intelligence, were his human qualities, his generosity and the way he understood people.

Over the past 14 years together we have lived through successes and difficulties, internal and external crises, but also unique and unrepeatable moments, both personal and professional.

For so many, Sergio has been an enlightened leader and a matchless point of reference.

For me, he has been someone with whom to share thoughts and in whom to trust, a mentor and above all a true friend.

He taught us to think differently and to have the courage to change, often in unconventional ways, always acting with a sense of responsibility for the companies and their people.

He taught us that the only question that’s worth asking oneself at the end of every day is whether we have been able to change something for the better, whether we have been able to make a difference.

And Sergio has always made a difference, wherever his work took him and in the lives of so very many people.

Today, that difference can be seen in the culture that he introduced in all the companies he has led, a culture that has become an integral part of each and every one of them.

The succession plans we have just announced, even if not without pain from a personal point of view, mean we can guarantee the maximum possible continuity, preserving our companies’ unique cultures.

It has been my privilege to have had Sergio at my side for all these years.

I would ask everyone for their understanding in these circumstances and to respect Sergio’s privacy and that of those who are dear to him.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
First and foremost, I truly hope that Marchionne makes a full recovery. He might has screwed up several parts of FCA but Jeep was not one of them.

That said, Marchionne didn't screw up Jeep because he knew it was a cash cow and he let Manley do his job. I do think this is a good move for FCA and Jeep in the short and long term. Manley played an important roll in expanding the Jeep brand. He's a solid pick.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I think those of us who are FCA fans and those who are FCA employees in North America are fortunate to have Mike Manley lead FCA.
Manley is a car guy. I think he started managing a dealership in the UK. I like car guys to run car companies. The vehicle design guys will like that as well.

BillyHW

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Things must have taken a really dire turn for Sergio over the last 24 hours. Congrats to Manley and I think he's the right person for the job, but the circumstances sound terrible.

Statement from FCA Chairman John Elkann which almost reads like an obituary:
I also heard from a Chrysler employee that he heard that Sergio's health situation is really bad and quite possibly terminal. Very sad.

Shooting or Jeeping

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I also heard from a Chrysler employee that he heard that Sergio's health situation is really bad and quite possibly terminal. Very sad.
They said on the news they announcing he won’t be coming back. Usually you announce that when it’s a certainty he won’t recover.

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Good for FCA but maybe bad for us. Who will lead Jeep now?
There are rumors that Jim Morrison is the one who will lead Jeep. He is an efficient man.

1.png

I also heard from a Chrysler employee that he heard that Sergio's health situation is really bad and quite possibly terminal. Very sad
I'm also very sad. I wish him a quick recovery

_102639374_hi048273059.jpg

Last edited:

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
Jim Morrison would probably make a great replacement.
1.png

There are a few other FCA executive team members who could do it as well. But, I am betting Mike Manley should look just a little outside the corporate box...
Why shoot -- there is a lot of people right here in this forum that believe they know what Jeep's problems are. I'll bet they would gladly dust off their resumes and throw their hat in the ring.
I have been thinking, until Jeep names a permanent successor for Mike Manley, maybe they could let some of us on the forum take a couple of honorary President positions for a day. Of course, if I got that opportunity to run Jeep for a day, I just might have to walk down to the factory floor and watch them built my Jeep. ;)

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Life is a sexually transmitted *terminal* disease...

Maintaining good health is just the slowest way of dying...

We all start out at the same place and end up at the same destination. That is not important. What *is* important is the road that you take between those two points. It's the *journey* that counts. And, if you get lost along the way and fail to make it to the destination, well, lucky you!

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
Do a little research on Marchionne, he’s had an amazing career. He was Chairman or CEO of a half dozen big companies, up until yesterday, so FCA was only a fraction of his responsibilities. I don’t know that much about Manley, except that the Jeep story over the past 10 years has been remarkable. The question is can he sustain the vision Marchionne created. I think we all hope so. Prayers for a speedy recovery for Marchionne and his family.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Do a little research on Marchionne, he’s had an amazing career. He was Chairman or CEO of a half dozen big companies, up until yesterday, so FCA was only a fraction of his responsibilities. I don’t know that much about Manley, except that the Jeep story over the past 10 years has been remarkable. The question is can he sustain the vision Marchionne created. I think we all hope so. Prayers for a speedy recovery for Marchionne and his family.
I looked up the latest news on him and the articles are basically written as obituaries. Sounds like the prognosis is not that good for him whatever the illness is. I saw one article say that he was a heavy smoker until a year ago, so maybe cancer?

Advertisement

Gibson Leatherworks

Advertisement