Sponsored

Map of dealers with competitive pricing

Hadoken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave (on order)
Jeff dillenger was my sales man. Really good.
Just as a data point, perhaps anyone wanting to deal with Steve White should only deal via email. I went in person and talked to the same sales person as Twistedfab and the best they would do is 1% under invoice with affiliate rewards. I told them I knew many dealers would do better and I even knew someone who had done better there and he suggested that every now and then a dealer will sell one at $0 profit but they could not now.

They let me walk without even a 2nd offer, maybe they'll call me back, but I think that Steve White isn't one of the dealerships that will go to 6-7% regularly without a big fight.
Sponsored

trippp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 JLUR
Just as a data point, perhaps anyone wanting to deal with Steve White should only deal via email. I went in person and talked to the same sales person as Twistedfab and the best they would do is 1% under invoice with affiliate rewards. I told them I knew many dealers would do better and I even knew someone who had done better there and he suggested that every now and then a dealer will sell one at $0 profit but they could not now.

They let me walk without even a 2nd offer, maybe they'll call me back, but I think that Steve White isn't one of the dealerships that will go to 6-7% regularly without a big fight.
Iā€™m not sure itā€™s just an in person thing- I sent Steve White an email about two weeks ago (you can see my convo with @Twistedfab a few pages back in this thread) and heard nothing. Travis Reynolds at Tri-City on the other hand emailed me back immediately and theyā€™ll go as low as 7% below invoice if you finance through them. Iā€™m in NC and both were relatively close, although Tri-City is a little further drive. Iā€™m in the order process with Travis and heā€™s been great about responding quickly and answering any questions Iā€™ve had.

Scott2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You guys are lucky! The best local offer I've gotten so far is 3.25% below invoice. I just had one come back at $1k under invoice (2%) and he won't budge. They all basically respond that anyone getting 7%+ under invoice is getting screwed in some way. So here's the question, why are some willing to offer such deals while others would rather pass on the sale altogether?

Also, if anyone has a recommendation in the Phoenix area, I'd appreciate it.

PAC33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw x5
Moss Bros in Moreno Valley CA does not discount factory orders at 5% below invoice and will tack on $1000s in dealer add one .. "like all Jeep Dealership's there are Dealer Installed Item's.
Items Include:

• Stolen Vehicle Recovery w/GPS TRACKING-$995
  • Environmental Protection Package-$895
  • Vehicle Protection Package-$595.

Sponsored

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
Moss Bros in Moreno Valley CA does not discount factory orders at 5% below invoice and will tack on $1000s in dealer add one .. "like all Jeep Dealership's there are Dealer Installed Item's.
Items Include:

• Stolen Vehicle Recovery w/GPS TRACKING-$995
  • Environmental Protection Package-$895
  • Vehicle Protection Package-$595.
I went to Riverside Moss and was told the Moreno Valley - Riverside - San Bernardino were the same owner so a Jeep from any of their lots would be 5% under invoice and 3% on an order. I also showed them the Map of Dealers on this page and they were good with it - In Riverside and San Bernardino. Things change but that was in December. I'm in Fontana so if they will give you a deal with 2 let me know

OP
OP
jeep949shopper

jeep949shopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, Rav4
Not sure that answers why dealers are willing to let deals go to competitors. The thinking is that if one can do a deal, they all should be able to. I'm questioning why that doesn't seem to be the case.
I feel different dealers have different business models. Some probably choosing low number, high margins. Some probably choosing high number, low margins. No one rule fits all, right?

Scott2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I feel different dealers have different business models. Some probably choosing low number, high margins. Some probably choosing high number, low margins. No one rule fits all, right?
Sure, that's got to be part of it, but if one dealer can make money selling a Jeep at 8% below invoice, shouldn't they all be able to? In cases like that, why is making something, even if it means deviating from their normal business model, not better than making nothing by turning the deal away?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Sure, that's got to be part of it, but if one dealer can make money selling a Jeep at 8% below invoice, shouldn't they all be able to? In cases like that, why is making something, even if it means deviating from their normal business model, not better than making nothing by turning the deal away?
The best dealers on the forum are the most transparent ones. Ask others who actually bought from the dealers you contact. See if they had a positive buying experience. A good deal for someone else might not be as good of deal for you. Lots of variables. Try for the most you can get but understand 6%-below invoice, including destination, with affiliate plus a reasonable DOC fee and tax, title, license is great. You might qualify for other incentives on top of that.

The true net/net is very difficult to calculate because there a so many variables. It's not just "dealer invoice", hold back, floor plan, advertising, Only the dealer really knows at the end of the year what their true cost is. It's a average in the end. One dealer might have incentives to move a few extra cars at a loss in one particular month to qualify for incentives from the Manufacturer. Manufacturers might offer certain dealers extra incentives or favorable financing on certain models if they take less desirable models. A certain dealer might be able to buy a group of cars for less if they agree to take enough of them. Then there is a dealers actual floor plan cost to carry inventory and when the interest is due. Some dealers float inventory. Bottom line, there is no normal business model. They have to get really creative about how they manage money and their accounting. Some dealers get caught up in illegal practices. Think the movie Fargo.

Then you have to calculate if everyone is actually paying a true 8%-under invoice. There are very few true apples-to-apples comparisons. Is there a trade? A dealer can sell you a car for 15% under invoice and make back the money at the back end if you have a trade by offering less then true wholesale.

Other variables..
What other fees and add-ons are there?
Are there excessive DOC fees like in FL?
Is there dealer prep or other fees?
Do you have to take dealer financing?
Was there any "direct marketing" money?
Was there a military incentive?
Was there loyalty money?
Do you have to take or pay for other padded options like rear led blinking brake lights or RFID security stickers?
Is destination included in the discount or is it added after the discount?

Other ways dealers make money on the deal at the back end.
Is there a trade-in involved and is there any negitive equity?
Will a loan be needed and what is the buyers credit history?

One of the most profitable business of a dealer is the business office when you close. AFTER your negotiated selling price. The business manager is among the highest paid employee at dealerships because they make commission on products they sell.

Dealers make money on these products by selling at retail after giving you X%-under invoice.

Loans and interest rates, this is a big one.
GAP insurance
Temp Insurance
Extended warranties
Service plans
Tire protection
Car care protection
Magic wax
Rustproofing
Window Tint
Paint protection film
Paintless dent removal contracts
Etc.

I am not saying some of these products are not good. You need to know the fair value. I am saying you can probably buy the same products for a discounted price. Fair business managers will deal. Other business managers will smell blood and go for the throat. They entice buyers because the products can be rolled into the financing. Those consumers pay full retail for the products and interest on top of the cost.

Better dealers master the art of the business and are successful even though they seem to be selling cars at a loss. Trust me they are not loosing money in the end. They make money selling used cars, and servicing cars, and financing cars.

Last edited:

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You guys are lucky! The best local offer I've gotten so far is 3.25% below invoice. I just had one come back at $1k under invoice (2%) and he won't budge. They all basically respond that anyone getting 7%+ under invoice is getting screwed in some way. So here's the question, why are some willing to offer such deals while others would rather pass on the sale altogether?

Also, if anyone has a recommendation in the Phoenix area, I'd appreciate it.
Volume dealers but at a deeper discount.

Leah@TriCityJeep

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Leah
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.14jeep.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
New Order Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m not sure itā€™s just an in person thing- I sent Steve White an email about two weeks ago (you can see my convo with @Twistedfab a few pages back in this thread) and heard nothing. Travis Reynolds at Tri-City on the other hand emailed me back immediately and theyā€™ll go as low as 7% below invoice if you finance through them. Iā€™m in NC and both were relatively close, although Tri-City is a little further drive. Iā€™m in the order process with Travis and heā€™s been great about responding quickly and answering any questions Iā€™ve had.
Thanks for your business @trippp! Looking forward to seeing this Bikini Rubicon in person! :like:

sandygar4

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Timing has a lot to do with it. Dealers have to sell so many units to keep their allocations. I ordered my Jeep 2/27 but the dealership asked if I minded signing the deal 3/1 so it would count for their March sales. I didn't care because they sold me my JLUR msrp $55,300 for $49,900. They were $500 higher on my trade too with the current car market the dealerships are making the most money with the used car side of their business. I used USAA buying service and they referred me to three local dealers and Tonkin in Milwaukee, OR was $2000 lower than the other two. One of the other dealers said all dealers will give veterans the same price--not true. Lesson, do the leg work it will save you money.

MarkB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo S80
I ordered three weeks ago from Dennis Dillon in Idaho and heard nothing. My texts were not being responded to, and then my emails were undeliverable. It turns out salesman Nicholas Cox left two weeks ago and Roland Riveria is now a sales manager (so not working directly with customers). I shouldn't have to find out this way. The listing here needs to be updated. Let's hope my ordering experience gets better from here on.
Sponsored