Sponsored

Manual vs Automatic- What will you be ordering?

Which transmission will you be optioning for?

• Total voters

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

JL's JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future 2018 JL
Looks like a 65:35 split so far. Me personally I'm leaning towards manual but the new 8 speed sounds like it might be a big improvement on the current 6 speed.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
As someone who came from sports cars I love a manual as much as the next guy, but to me there is absolutely nothing sporty about the performance of the Jeep IMO, so I would rather not have to worry about a clutch day to day.

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like getting into a pissing contest is a good way to get your post count up. Personally, I've always preferred manuals so I'm leaning in that direction. That said, I'll probably end up test driving both and make a decision at that point.

Pete

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Auto only vote here.

Sponsored

southtj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 TJ Sahara
My last two jeeps were manuals so my JL will be also. I don't do any rock crawling which I think autos excel in and I just would rather be different and shift. Less likely to be stolen or borrowed by my daughter too! :cwl:

Poynter32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Granite Crystal
Manual, Manual, Manual, Diesel....cough, cough.
I would love this as well. To bad it will never exist. So now there has to be a choice. Manual or Diesel, which will you choose? I'm leaning toward the manual but still not convinced.

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel
i think ill go the manual autos get hot in soft sand which we have lots of around here

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
I would prefer a manual, I like to be an active driver, and my first two wranglers were stick. But the wife doesn't drive stick. Happy Wife, Happy Life. So my third wrangler was automatic, and I will be getting an auto again.

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
Automatic it will be for me.

This question perhaps answers itself by the fact that i am considering Diesel...and manual likely won't be an option for it.

Besides, if i want gear-shifting fun with sporty performance, i have a motorcycle for that.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Do we know WHICH manual transmission will be used? The current one (NSG 370 I believe) shifts like a dump truck. There is absolutely nothing fun or sporty about it. They also have quite a few issues with noise in the syncros. I've driven manuals for over 20 years, but the JK manual is tough to drive smoothly.

The automatic 8-speed trans. will likely get better MPG numbers. It'll also be manually shiftable, better for offroad use, and will have higher resale value. So it's going to be really tough to choose the manual transmission again.

Merica!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully JLU
Occupation
Future breaker of JL Wrangler parts!
I will be getting an auto. Mainly because I'm planning on the eco diesel. Even if I end up with the gasser, I'll probably still go auto because it's easier when rock crawling.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I the diesel comes out early enough, I'll go that direction. However, if it isn't available until August 2018, then manual all the way, for me.

Btw, I rock crawl all the time with my JK Rubicon, including trips to Tennessee, Colorado, and one week in Moab in 2015. The manual was just fine, even in the toughest situations. It is fine in sand, snow, and mud, too. It has also been fun to drive. My wife even loves driving it.

Hopefully, the new manual transmission will be smoother, feel better, and be more stout. It should be fun with a little more power in the 3.6 and if they take a little weight out of the JL.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Hardcore manual double clutching heel and toe driver sits in JK, rows the manual gear box and says haha no. Automatic for the wrangler.
Sponsored