Sponsored

Manual transmission - what gear should I start in?

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Moving this hear so as not to hijack another thread...

Ok Kirk, Educate me please. I’ve never driven over a sand dune before. You take off in 2nd or 3rd from a stopped position? If so 2h, 4H, 4L?
I’m not trying to be a smart ass, I off-road in some back woods. I use 4 low 1st gear mostly but will occasionally shift to 2nd or use 4 high.
I could see how on sand you’d maybe want more speed. In the woods I drive like a granny and just take in the beauty.
Well Steve, the answer depends on the vehicle and the terrain. The motto "as slow as possible, as fast as necessary" is a good one to keep in mind.

Silver Lake Dunes is a good example. There are a series of dunes and it's over 100 feet up the first one called "Test Hill." I don't care how big your tires are or if you've got paddles or not, there is no way to crawl up this hill because of the soft fluffy sugar sand the last 5-10 feet at the top. In my Samurai you start in 3rd gear low range and need to be turning 5,000 rpm when you get to the end of the whoops and on the dune proper. Then there is a full throttle rush up the dune and you have to lift your foot off the gas and coast the last few feet to the top - unless you want to be like my daughter and "catch air" in which case you keep your foot in it.

TestHill.jpg

06_04SM.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kreepin1

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Nice Sami. I have an 87 with a spring over and revolver shackles. Super flexy but worthless on the street. I started a 1.6 conversion a decade ago and haven't made much progress...
Thanks! That picture was from 2006 when it had an 8V 1.6 and 6.5:1 underdrive transfer case. Here's a more recent picture with a 16V 1.6 and quad Suzuki Katana carbs. It stall has the spring under and linked rear suspension. Next step is gonna be fuel injection.

Jeep Wrangler JL Manual transmission - what gear should I start in? IM001024.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Manual transmission - what gear should I start in? IM001047.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Manual transmission - what gear should I start in? SDC10385.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Manual transmission - what gear should I start in? SDC10301.JPG