Sponsored

Manual Transmission Order "Restricted"

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Just placed my factory order today on a Rubicon with a 6-speed. Got my VON back but was told that the factory is "restricting" manual orders and putting mine behind a whole bunch of autos?

Anybody get the same feedback?
Sponsored

Butterybunz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2017 Ford Fiesta ST & Fiat 500x Trekking Plus
I hope not. I just ordered a manual Sport today.

OP
OP

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Yeah, the dealer told me this might be a 2-3 day thing or a 3-4 week thing, but they have no further look into that. My Scheduling Priority says "1-Sold Order" and Build Priority says "99". Doesn't look different than other sheets I've seen... Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.

OP
OP

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Just noticed it does show a grey box with "= Restriction" right below the Destination Fees line item, over to the right. The grey-highlighted items are the main car and the preferred packaged, codes JLJS74 and 23R. The 6-speed manual, code DEM, is not highlighted.

Do you see that too, Butterybunz?

Butterybunz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2017 Ford Fiesta ST & Fiat 500x Trekking Plus
Can you guide me on how to look it up? I don't have a VIN yet. Literally just ordered earlier today.

Sponsored

OP
OP

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Once the dealer places your order, you should get a Priced Order Confirmation sheet. It's a one-page sheet showing your order date, where it's being shipped, all your options, and MSRP. Your dealer should provide this for you if you ask. I had them text it to me, though I've heard others got theirs on the spot. There you get a VON (different from VIN), which you can use to track your order. The VIN itself is blank until assigned in production.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Yeah, my dealer told me manual trans is on restriction. I ordered a base sport unlimited with LSD yesterday. The only thing highlighted on my order sheet indicating "on restriction" is the car itself.

OP
OP

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Yeah, my dealer told me manual trans is on restriction. I ordered a base sport unlimited with LSD yesterday. The only thing highlighted on my order sheet indicating "on restriction" is the car itself.
Oh man... So it's true... Sigh...

Did they have any insight as to how long the restriction might last?

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
That sucks to hear since I was about to order a manual too.

I'm guessing that FCA builds a large batch of each model before it retools for another large batch. Hopefully, they are at the trailing end of the existing batch and not the start.

OP
OP

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
That sucks to hear since I was about to order a manual too.

I'm guessing that FCA builds a large batch of each model before it retools for another large batch. Hopefully, they are at the trailing end of the existing batch and not the start.
They did say something about February's orders being full, and so my order was in the March batch. I don't know if that applies to the dealership or the factory. I'm thinking it's the former but hoping it's the latter so I don't have to kick myself for not going to a different dealer.

Sponsored

Drew777x

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW 340i; JLUR Billet - Coming Soon!
I'm guessing that FCA builds a large batch of each model before it retools for another large batch.
I work in an automotive assembly plant. I can almost guarantee you that your guess is incorrect. That just isn't the way it works.

If they are delaying manual transmission orders it is most likely for a lack of manual transmissions or associated parts. I've seen some off the wall assumptions about painting aluminum floating around too. I'm in paint shop maintenance. Not at Jeep.. But the paint process is pretty much the same for all manufacturers. If anybody has a paint question I'd be happy to answer.

ckrough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ
I work in an automotive assembly plant. I can almost guarantee you that your guess is incorrect. That just isn't the way it works.

If they are delaying manual transmission orders it is most likely for a lack of manual transmissions or associated parts. I've seen some off the wall assumptions about painting aluminum floating around too. I'm in paint shop maintenance. Not at Jeep.. But the paint process is pretty much the same for all manufacturers. If anybody has a paint question I'd be happy to answer.

How does introducing a new color change the line? Is it just supplied to the same sprayers (robots?), or do they need to create a new booth and new bots for each color?

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Oh man... So it's true... Sigh...

Did they have any insight as to how long the restriction might last?
Unfortunately, no. I guess these glitches are to be expected when you are one of the first to order a all-new car on a new assembly line.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Drew777x

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW 340i; JLUR Billet - Coming Soon!
How does introducing a new color change the line? Is it just supplied to the same sprayers (robots?), or do they need to create a new booth and new bots for each color?
Paint is supplied to the spray booth from a room called paint mix. There each common color has a tank where the paint is constantly stirred and pumped to the paint booth. In the supply cabinet at each robot there is a bank of valves that tie in to the pipes carrying paint. Todays robots use a cartridge system that fills via those valves. A cartridge will fill with the color for the next body while the robot is painting. Then a quick cartridge change and clean before starting on the next. You will have cars of all differnt colors being painted only spaced a few feet. There is a lot of down draft in the booth to control overspray. Clear coat robots dont use a cartridge system because every body gets the same treatment.

So adding a new color should require no real changes to the system. Its possible that Jeep's paint shop is old and does not use the newer cartridge system. Either way you wont need a new booth for each color.
Sponsored

Last edited: