Sponsored

Manual Transmission Newbie’s

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Right? Been saying that for years! I've been in 6th once—ONCE, and I live in Florida... nuthin' but flat. Sport; 33's.
I'll go into 6th when I'm on the BeeBeachline (SR 528) or dieI-4 at 80-85 mph.
Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
I don't get the hatred towards 6th. But it's also why I don't ask people their preferred way of driving a manual.

Unless you're on steep hills, there's no reason to not use 6th. It's your cruising gear. If it were automatic you'd be in 8th...
This. This right here. When you bought a stick you signed up to shift when needed. If you don’t want to shift, get an auto.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
This. This right here. When you bought a stick you signed up to shift when needed. If you don’t want to shift, get an auto.
+1
I don't even think about shifting, it just happens. If 6th doesn't feel right, go down to 5th. Just let the Jeep tell you what gear it wants. If you feel like you're lugging a bit shift down. If you feel like you're winding a bit, shift up.

When cruising I typically don't know what gear I'm in at the time. If I want to shift up/down, I just grab the selector and move it based on where it is. It becomes second nature.

seanpublic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Check page 152 of the 2021 owner's manual as a baseline, then adjust based on what the engine is telling you. Those shift points are probably derived on a flat road with no wind.
Jeep Wrangler JL Manual Transmission Newbie’s shiftin

It's a different topic, but since you're saying you've not driven a manual in over 20 years, you should develop a feel for the clutch to be able to take off at 1k or just over up to 1.5k RPM from level up to slight incline. Don't get in a habit of taking off at 2k RPM.

Last edited:

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
I'm only shifting into 5th around 60 mph. 6th is truly 70+ mph and above. After driving a JK for enough years I had to get used to downshifting to 5th for some highway needs. 5th equals 6th gear on the older JK model

Sponsored

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
+2

Also this manual is a bit more tricky from what your used to in the past since its not throttle by wire. My pedal response feels a bit off as to shifting especially when i fisrt started driving to try and match revs. So following the chart at post #19 It will help immensly but it might still feel off. Gotta get plenty of test drives in.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
You generally would select a gear according to how the car responds. Going at a constant speed you can probably manage the highest gear but in headwinds or gradual uphills you might have to downshift. And going at constant speed is one thing but if you need to speed up then you might have to downshift. You can tell if the engine is lugging or if it isn't able to provide acceleration when you need it and that is a sign that you need to downshift.
If you've driven the 8-speed auto you can get some clues from how it operates. I have a sport with 33" Rubicon tires and 3.45 gears. At 70mph on the highway it might be at 1800-2000 rpm in 8th but headwind or slight uphill will make it downshift to 7th and get the rpm to 2300. Bigger hills at highway speed might push it to 6th gear and near 3000 rpm. If I'm at constant 70 on the highway in 8th and traffic slows me to 7th, then when traffic clear and even if I want to very gradually speed up to 70 it will usually downshift to 7th. Driving a manual transmission you will have to do the shifting yourself to somewhat follow these rpm ranges.
My other car is fairly light with 6-speed manual and 6.0L V8. Driving around town if I drop below 40mph I have to use 4th or 5th gears and have rpms about 1300-1400. If I stay in 6th at closer to 1000 rpm it lugs the engine too much and it won't pull smoothly.

Deleted member 59498

Manual should not be all this thinking stuff. It is natural and don't have to think about it. Same with an automatic. Just drive in a week you will be relaxed and it will be normal. Most will kill the engine in first when getting used to it from now and again. 1st is low for a reason, it is a Jeep.

Going forward is no problem and works well and cruises well in 6th up hill down hill whatever.

Reverse!!!! Yeah looking at you reverse.

Reactions: gek

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Its been about 20 plus years since I last drove a stick as a daily driver, Having fun with the manual but have a question what gear is the best for normal highway driving 4th or 5th gear? I’m usually going about 65
if you bought a brand new Jeep, please don't let it rip high in the rev band for the first 1000 miles or so. I got a stick and like you, this is my second Stick Jeep in 21 years. Having a blast but trying to keep the revs low. On a straight-level road, 4th gear will be a bit too short at 65. 5th may work better but you may shift to 4th if you want to pass someone or if the road elevation changes. I have not taken the Jeep to the highway so I've barely selected 6th gear yet.

Sponsored

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Oh, also a bit of advise I wish I had gotten when I was new to the wrangler: rev the heck out of this engine. It’s how it’s designed to be driven.

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Red line is like 6500.

if you are accelerating, push 1st gear to at least 20mph, 2nd to 35ish.

you can take it slow if you want, but don’t be afraid to rev it if you want to accelerate.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Rubicon…I just did 1200 mile trip to Missouri for Deer Hunting. On the trip up my MPG average went from 21 up to 24 on my second day of driving. That 6 speed manual is the perfect transmission…..when mates with the 3.6 on a Rubicon. I’ve heard a lot of people complain about the lack of power on the sport Jeep. But the low gear ratio on the Rubicon is a perfect match for the 6 speed manual. The manual has a few advantage;
1. If you stop in the center lane to turn left….your engine is NOT going to turn off when you stop ( like an automatic).
2. when you stop in your drive way…the Manual Jeep waits for you to turn off the engine……where the automatic prematurely turns off your motor……then they have to start it again…..in order-for you to turn it off.
I know it sounds dumb…..but it’s true.
3. If the entertainment system fails……the manual transmission keeps on running…..if it’s an automatic…the vehicle is often temporarily disabled until the infotainment system resets itself
the list of advantages goes on and on.

welcome to the 3rd Pedal club
Sponsored