Manual Transmission Newbie’s

KJKWillys

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Granite Crystal Willys - 6 Speed Manual
Wow. I never in my life thought this much about how to drive a standard. I learned to drive on a 73 VW Super Beetle with a 4-speed. Cars tell you when to shift, whether up or down. It’s really just like breathing, you don’t really need to think about it all that much.
Sponsored

Codak

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Figured I would ask me question in this thread instead of starting a new one - Anyways, picked up my 6spd rubicon a couple months ago and about 1,500 miles in… I can’t for the life of me shift smoothly into second. Every other gear feels buttery smooth. Stick feels hard/clunky into second and the jeep jerks off the clutch pretty much every time unless I get into 2nd under 10 mph but driving in traffic that’s pretty slow. I’ve tried higher RPMs out of first, lower RPMs with pretty much the same results unless it’s very slow shifts that would accommodate driving around a parking lot. I haven’t driven a manual in probably 10 years so I’ve been assuming it’s user error but wondering if anyone either has any like story or advice?

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Figured I would ask me question in this thread instead of starting a new one - Anyways, picked up my 6spd rubicon a couple months ago and about 1,500 miles in… I can’t for the life of me shift smoothly into second. Every other gear feels buttery smooth. Stick feels hard/clunky into second and the jeep jerks off the clutch pretty much every time unless I get into 2nd under 10 mph but driving in traffic that’s pretty slow. I’ve tried higher RPMs out of first, lower RPMs with pretty much the same results unless it’s very slow shifts that would accommodate driving around a parking lot. I haven’t driven a manual in probably 10 years so I’ve been assuming it’s user error but wondering if anyone either has any like story or advice?
Normal. 1st to 2nd shift does give a clunky sound underneath on my M/T Gladiator too. Used to be the same when I had 2019 Wrangler JL too. 2nd onwards, shifts are silent.
As for the jerk, release the clutch pedal very slowly till the bite point, hold it for a fraction of a second and release fully.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Additional suggestion to the above:
It is a good practice (IMO) to depress the clutch pedal raising your foot all the way in by pivoting from the knee, and when releasing the pedal out, pivot your heel to the floor and and raise with the heel to toe action. This will raise the pedal up gradually, and you would practically ensure there would be no abrupt release of the pedal irrespective of the bite or engagement point.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I always stayed in 5th until 70mph when I commuted 52 miles/day on the highway. Now my commute is only 2 miles on 25 mph streets so my gas mileage has plummeted to 14-ish mpg and I only fill up about once every month or even once every 5 weeks. My monthly gas expense has plummeted despite the lower MPG and higher California gas prices. I love my jeep but I gotta say, I really love having such a short commute. And there are some great off-road trails out here in SoCal!

Jeep Wrangler JL Manual Transmission Newbie’s 1D34AF89-B71C-41C1-93B2-16CA610E59DD

Sponsored

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
My Willys Surprised me when I drove it a long distance home the first time. I think about things way too much and even not knowing how the 6 speed was geared, knew full well that 5th and 6th were overdrive gears.

I drive most of the time for mileage and so far I’m in the 22-23 bracket for most of my driving. Of course being retired, I take it easy most of the time, but still travel a lil over the speed limit, but NOT to get a ticket.

My Willys is basically Stock and will stay that way. It is a very capable vehicle with a driver that enjoys many types of driving. I do love the PULL of Second gear! Man there are times I wish I had a CAI to hear the intake roar. The 3.6 JK I had I used a Banks Cold Air Intake that I loved for the sound it made. But with all things computer controlled, I only got better mileage for like the first 2 tanks of fuel and then it adjusted. So other than SOUND, it was an expensive ticket item. I see that the Bank CAI is available and it’s tempting, but the darn replacement filter is $120???? That is crazy!

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

I always stayed in 5th until 70mph when I commuted 52 miles/day on the highway. Now my commute is only 2 miles on 25 mph streets so my gas mileage has plummeted to 14-ish mpg and I only fill up about once every month or even once every 5 weeks. My monthly gas expense has plummeted despite the lower MPG and higher California gas prices. I love my jeep but I gotta say, I really love having such a short commute. And there are some great off-road trails out here in SoCal!

Jeep Wrangler JL Manual Transmission Newbie’s 1D34AF89-B71C-41C1-93B2-16CA610E59DD
A real Rubicon! (2dr!).

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

Range of opinions. On trips, I generally cruise 65-70. Always 6th unless not flat.
Sponsored