First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jl
Occupation
Millwright
Hello, I received my JLU Sahara manual yesterday!

(Beware French guy trying to write in a english forum)

I did not have the chance to try a manual JL before. I had only try 2 with auto trans. (3.6L and 2.0L).
I have read some forum, but I did not expect this kind of change.
I had a manual JKU for almost 7 years, and the transmission felt like driving a tractor-trailer.
The shifter was long and loose. It could be un-precise and hard to shift.
It would kick out of gear in the winter.
The 3.6 was low rev , sounded like a big and strong motor, with lot of torque (the sound only).
I could stall the Jeep, it had not enough torque, if I did not give it some gas. Brooomm!

Now, it fill almost like a sport car! The rev is higher, the sound is liter. The shifter is short and precise, you need to adapt to it.
IF I were to close my eyes it would be like driving a Italian sport car. wraammm!

What do you think, how would you describe it?
Sponsored

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
That’s what I like to hear! I’m literally ordering a manual Rubicon in an hour.

I agree that the JK manual is not good. 1st through 4th are fine, but the shifter moves further to the right than necessary on 5th and 6th, and I’ve ground gears trying to find 6th but finding reverse instead.

OP
OP
irayspot

irayspot

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jl
Occupation
Millwright
The first time I got in the JL, I stall it! I was use to the JK!
I was in third gear...
You have to pull the shifter to toward you to engage the first gear.
It is not a bad thing, I am already use to it.
It is just not the JK.
I use to feel the JK’s vibrations, now, the JL is so mush smoother you have to pay attention.
It is like want a steering assist doesn't let feel the road.
It feel like the Mazda6 I add 7 years ago.

They did a really good job refining the transmission and the power train.
I was afraid the diff. with 3:45 were gone a be a soar thing, but it is really good.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Yeah, I was expecting a pickup-like feel, like the Ranger or S10 I used to have. This transmission is very car-like and the engine is quiet... It was tough to shift at first as I was used to listening to the revs and couldn't hardly hear it.

I kinda wish it were a bit more like a pickup with a longer shifter.. the center console is so tall and the stick is so short, it makes for a strange angle. I have long arms, so I had to raise the seat all the way up to not hit my elbow when shifting.

Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Yeah, I was expecting a pickup-like feel, like the Ranger or S10 I used to have. This transmission is very car-like and the engine is quiet... It was tough to shift at first as I was used to listening to the revs and couldn't hardly hear it.

I kinda wish it were a bit more like a pickup with a longer shifter.. the center console is so tall and the stick is so short, it makes for a strange angle. I have long arms, so I had to raise the seat all the way up to not hit my elbow when shifting.
There’s a good chance someone will, if they haven’t already, release a relocation kit to make the stick longer to compensate for body lifts. You might look for one.

I bought this one recently for my LJ: https://ruggedridge.com/manual-tran-shift-lever-relocation-bracket-kit-18303-20.html

OP
OP
irayspot

irayspot

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jl
Occupation
Millwright
This is why I would never get a manual JL. I want it to feel like a tractor.
They refine the automatic trans to! You don’t even feel it shit (no tractor there).
But this is not a Manual - Automatic tread.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
This is why I would never get a manual JL. I want it to feel like a tractor.
Good call. Terrible mileage, don’t fit on most trails, and no lift kit options!! On the plus side there are no mall crawler tractors.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
They refine the automatic trans to! You don’t even feel it shit (no tractor there).
But this is not a Manual - Automatic tread.
I have never felt my manual shit either. I drove the auto during test drives and in rentals and definitely feel I made the right choice going with the manual. But the auto is very good compared to the JK.

Sponsored

RastaPasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Definitely need to adapt to it. I picked mine up from the dealer yesterday and (coming from and Audi S4), I was all messed up. Took some adjustment but it really is very solid.

OP
OP
irayspot

irayspot

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jl
Occupation
Millwright
I have never felt my manual shit either. I drove the auto during test drives and in rentals and definitely feel I made the right choice going with the manual. But the auto is very good compared to the JK.

LOL!
sorry mush have read myself to fast! I mean “shift”

805Dirtdog

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlur
We just got our new manual JLUR and we feel the same way about the trans.
Hello, I received my JLU Sahara manual yesterday!

(Beware French guy trying to write in a english forum)

I did not have the chance to try a manual JL before. I had only try 2 with auto trans. (3.6L and 2.0L).
I have read some forum, but I did not expect this kind of change.
I had a manual JKU for almost 7 years, and the transmission felt like driving a tractor-trailer.
The shifter was long and loose. It could be un-precise and hard to shift.
It would kick out of gear in the winter.
The 3.6 was low rev , sounded like a big and strong motor, with lot of torque (the sound only).
I could stall the Jeep, it had not enough torque, if I did not give it some gas. Brooomm!

Now, it fill almost like a sport car! The rev is higher, the sound is liter. The shifter is short and precise, you need to adapt to it.
IF I were to close my eyes it would be like driving a Italian sport car. wraammm!

What do you think, how would you describe it?

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just picked up a manual last night. The transmission is good but the clutch is a bit light. I traded in a 2014 Focus ST which was super precise with a short throw and a heavy clutch. That said l love it. save the manuals!
Sponsored