Sponsored

Manual transmission hard to get into gear cold.

urr2slo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Denali Duramax, Chevy Camaro, Jeep CJ7, C7 Corvette, MB S63
So I purchased my JLR last April and I didn't notice any issues until this winter. When the temp dropped below 50 out and first thing in the morning I noticed it was hard to get into 1st or reverse. I also noted that until the trans fluid got some temp in it shifting into 2nd and 3rd was less than smooth, sometimes would not want to go in. Once up to temp it shifts fine. I also noticed that the transfer case had become more difficult to shift into 4Lo on my last few outings. Last week I turned 5k on it and after doing research on different fluids I decided to go with RedLine C+ ATF which exceeds Jeeps requirements. Noticed an immediate difference this morning, shifted into all gears really easily and smoothly. Seems like the problem is solved for now.
Upon inspecting the trans fluid that came out, I noticed it was pretty dark already for only 5k on it and in the sunlight there is some glitter present, nothing that you can feel and not noticeable without a bright light. So I'm wondering what the cause is, I've done a few highway trips of an hour or slightly longer and some have had significant elevation changes where I'm climbing to 6000 ft and I'm wondering if the factory oil is overheating. I do tend to drive fast (85-90) on the open highways and with either my 35s or 37s I have to mainly use 4th gear, occasionally I can get into 5th, but mainly 4th.
The transfer case oil also seemed darker than I expected but I have used it a lot. I purchased if for play and it's not my daily. Most of the miles are going to areas to go 4 wheeling in or driving it in bad weather.
Anyone else had a similar experience with there manual?
Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
It's sort of characteristic with the manuals I've had. Both the AX-15 in my 98TJ and the NV3550 in my 04 Rubi as well as the Asin 6spd in my '19 JL don't like the cold start, shift into gear- but I live in NY so we're talking lower than 20 degrees in the winter. The only thing I noticed this year was when I woke up, Started my JLUR, and immediately put it into gear to move it into a parking spot at my complex. It was 2*F or something that day though, and I literally started the Jeep, put it in 1st, then reverse 20 seconds later, then off. 2 minutes total. It had been sitting since the previous night, and that was about 9am.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I decided to go with RedLine C+ ATF which exceeds Jeeps requirements. Noticed an immediate difference this morning, shifted into all gears really easily and smoothly. Seems like the problem is solved for now.
I'm experiencing the same thing, almost impossible to shift into first or reverse some times. I have to shift into 3rd and 4th then get it into first. Before I buy a 50dollar bottle of redline for the tranny I wanted to follow you to see if the new fluid was still working out for you?

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
It's your transmission fluid. Fluids which are smooth in summer will be too thick for winter. Lower viscosity fluid will perform better in winter.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
It's your transmission fluid. Fluids which are smooth in summer will be too thick for winter. Lower viscosity fluid will perform better in winter.
Yea, which makes it even more annoying because I changed it out before winter began lol.

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Redline 75w85 suntetic will perform much better in the winter and will still be good in summer.
Unlike motor oils, trans fluids viscosity has a bit wide range for specific spec like 75w85, Redline runs the lowest (similar to 10w motor oil).

I used to have significant change in shifting in my manual cars. Have tried many things. Butter smooth shifting below freezing was achieved with 5w20 high milage motor oil (in the transmission lol) but not good in summer. 75w85 was good compromise between summer and winter.

BuffDad

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys Sport
I have a 2020 JLU with the V6 and 6sp. manual with 26K miles, and when it's cold it is nearly impossible to shift into 1st or reverse. The owners manual states the transmission uses ATF-4 trans fluid. Thoughts on what I should do? It is still under warranty...

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I have a 2020 JLU with the V6 and 6sp. manual with 26K miles, and when it's cold it is nearly impossible to shift into 1st or reverse. The owners manual states the transmission uses ATF-4 trans fluid. Thoughts on what I should do? It is still under warranty...
What ^ this guy said! I have an automatic so I'm not really keen on which transmission fluid exactly you would want, but changing the transmission fluid for winter every year and back again for summer would be an obvious choice!

Not sure whether the rod is situated in relation to the transmission fluid tank, but an Engine block heater might help if its close enough to the tank, otherwise you might want to try warming it up and letting it idle for 20 minutes when you first start it. My wifes Subaru is an automatic, but it has a gauge for the transmission fluid temp and I find it takes about 20-30 minutes in winter for it to get up to operating temperature (160-180°f).

Hope this helps!

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
Do you park it in gear? I park in 1st gear every night and I haven't had any problems. And it's been fucking cold in CO lately.

I also only have 1900 miles on the Jeep.

BuffDad

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys Sport
What ^ this guy said! I have an automatic so I'm not really keen on which transmission fluid exactly you would want, but changing the transmission fluid for winter every year and back again for summer would be an obvious choice!

Not sure whether the rod is situated in relation to the transmission fluid tank, but an Engine block heater might help if its close enough to the tank, otherwise you might want to try warming it up and letting it idle for 20 minutes when you first start it. My wifes Subaru is an automatic, but it has a gauge for the transmission fluid temp and I find it takes about 20-30 minutes in winter for it to get up to operating temperature (160-180°f).

Hope this helps!
Do you park it in gear? I park in 1st gear every night and I haven't had any problems. And it's been fucking cold in CO lately.

Yep; I always leave it in gear; usually in 2nd. It's interesting that FCA does not require a transmission oil change for my Jeep, let alone suggest a change for cold weather.

Sponsored

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
Yep; I always leave it in gear; usually in 2nd. It's interesting that FCA does not require a transmission oil change for my Jeep, let alone suggest a change for cold weather.
Wait, there's no oil change requirement in the service intervals?

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic

Y'all mountain folk will probably light me up, but I always park my manual transmissions in neutral with the brake pulled. I've parked that way for the last 30 years and haven't had a roll yet.

That being said, as a Floridian I've always dropped my autos into park and haven't set the brake. Every once in a while, Tennessee teaches me a lesson as the parking pawl jumps a bit and rolls me down hill.

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
Y'all mountain folk will probably light me up, but I always park my manual transmissions in neutral with the brake pulled. I've parked that way for the last 30 years and haven't had a roll yet.

That being said, as a Floridian I've always dropped my autos into park and haven't set the brake. Every once in a while, Tennessee teaches me a lesson as the parking pawl jumps a bit and rolls me down hill.
I'm from Massachusetts and the last 20 years of driving manuals, I've always just parked in gear. I'll throw the brake on as well if I'm on a hill, though.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Manual trans should be changed at 48k or every 3 years . the oil is the atf+4 . The manual doesn’t take gear oil like they did back in the day so no need for a change for the cooler temps

855B6C35-AC57-4CEF-9177-85A382F1AD1F.png

Tangokilo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Oldsmobile 442, 2001 4runner, 2010 Honda Accord V6 Coupe, 2011 VW Golf, 1969 Triump T100 MC and 2018 JLU Sport S
My 18 JLU 6MT does this when it's cold too. I have gotten in the habit in cold weather to shift into second then into first. Helps line things up?
Sponsored