Sponsored

Manual Transmission Gearing Sucks? 6th Gear Useless?

Bback58

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2 dr, 6 spd, 2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland automatic
After waiting too many months to have a friend replace the gears in my 6 speed Willys, I took it to another shop and finally got my 4.56's. After driving it a couple of days, I know I will be very happy with the difference. Now I will get to use the 6 speed!!

ATMO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 6mt 2-door Rubicon
I ordered my Rubicon with the 4.88s and it's an absolute blast to drive. Given, 99% of my driving is in the city, and the downside is that I get about 15 mpg's when I take a road trip (driving 75-80), but I'd rather shift more than less. After all, that's why I got a manual!

I have zero issue with the clutch, zero issue with the transmission's gear ratios, and zero issues with shifting into third at 30 mph. Someone described the Wrangler as 50% go cart and 50% tractor, and it's 100% fun with the 4.88s. Given, I don't think I'd have the same experience with the 3.45s but with the stock 33" BFGs, it's the most fun I've ever had in a stick.

Davebdave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sport S
Hi All, first post. We just bought a 2023 Sport S with a stick. Fun to drive. I read some of the gearing complaints online but on the test drive I thought it wasn’t too bad with stock tires and a 3.45. Then after buying it I stalled it three times trying to start on a hill. I definitely want to regear. Now I’m obsessing between 4.10 and 4.56. This thread has been super helpful. The Jeep is for my wife and she just complains that she has to downshift two gears to pass. She doesn’t seem to mind the takeoff and I’m afraid if I regear where first is too short she will think I ruined it. What to do? I get the feeling from reading these posts that 4.10 works well but 4.56 puts the “Sport” back into the JL Sport.

Dave

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Hi All, first post. We just bought a 2023 Sport S with a stick. Fun to drive. I read some of the gearing complaints online but on the test drive I thought it wasn’t too bad with stock tires and a 3.45. Then after buying it I stalled it three times trying to start on a hill. I definitely want to regear. Now I’m obsessing between 4.10 and 4.56. This thread has been super helpful. The Jeep is for my wife and she just complains that she has to downshift two gears to pass. She doesn’t seem to mind the takeoff and I’m afraid if I regear where first is too short she will think I ruined it. What to do? I get the feeling from reading these posts that 4.10 works well but 4.56 puts the “Sport” back into the JL Sport.

Dave
4.10s are adequate.. 4.56's if you ever thing you'll go to a bigger tire (even if that's just a 33)

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd

Dave
Depends a lot on whether you're going to keep the stock size tires or go bigger. Also depends on how you use the Jeep.

Changing gears is an expensive proposition and not just something to throw at the Jeep without a solid plan.

Best bet is to drive it for a bit before regearing. That gives you time to figure out just what you want to do long term.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)

Dave
I'd wait to regear. I have a Sport S on 3.45 gears and 32" tires. Regearing won't really help you with stalling on a hill. That's just learning the clutch. The 1st gear in the JL is already way shorter than it was in the JK (5.13 vs. 4.46).

Downshifting two gears to pass is also normal. That's the same thing auto transmissions do. Expecting to pass in an overdrive gear doesn't make sense. Overdrive (5, 6) is for cruising.

My main complaints about 3.45 gears are that at 40 MPH, the RPMs are a bit high in 3rd and too low (1500 RPM) if I shift into 4th. Awkward because I drive at 40 a lot. That and I can't really use 6th gear unless I'm over 72 MPH. For my driving, a regear to 4.10 would lower all the shift points by a few MPH, which would be nice.

If you regear to 4.10 and keep stock tires, your 6th gear will be where your 5th gear is now, more or less. If you go to 4.56 on stock tires, you're going to find that your RPMs are too high for highway cruising. Some people don't mind cruising at 2600 RPM - I think that's silly and wastes fuel. So I wouldn't go past 4.10 unless you're getting 34+ inch tires.

But most importantly, give it 6 months before you regear. The problems you list in your post aren't really problems that regearing will solve. And if you can pass without downshifting, you've overgeared (see above about being stuck with high RPMs on the highway).

Keep in mind a stock manual JL had a 0-60 of 6.1 seconds when tested. That's plenty of power: https://www.caranddriver.com/review...gler-v-6-4x4-manual-instrumented-test-review/

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
...complains that she has to downshift two gears to pass. ...
Never understood this complaint from folks. Shifting to match RPM to power need, conditions, and vehicle speed is an essential part of the manual transmission driving experience.

To echo another poster - an automatic will kick down two gears when you're passing; you shouldn't expect to do less with a stick shift.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
I'd wait to regear. I have a Sport S on 3.45 gears and 32" tires. Regearing won't really help you with stalling on a hill. That's just learning the clutch. The 1st gear in the JL is already way shorter than it was in the JK (5.13 vs. 4.46).

Downshifting two gears to pass is also normal. That's the same thing auto transmissions do. Expecting to pass in an overdrive gear doesn't make sense. Overdrive (5, 6) is for cruising.

My main complaints about 3.45 gears are that at 40 MPH, the RPMs are a bit high in 3rd and too low (1500 RPM) if I shift into 4th. Awkward because I drive at 40 a lot. That and I can't really use 6th gear unless I'm over 72 MPH. For my driving, a regear to 4.10 would lower all the shift points by a few MPH, which would be nice.

If you regear to 4.10 and keep stock tires, your 6th gear will be where your 5th gear is now, more or less. If you go to 4.56 on stock tires, you're going to find that your RPMs are too high for highway cruising. Some people don't mind cruising at 2600 RPM - I think that's silly and wastes fuel. So I wouldn't go past 4.10 unless you're getting 34+ inch tires.

But most importantly, give it 6 months before you regear. The problems you list in your post aren't really problems that regearing will solve. And if you can pass without downshifting, you've overgeared (see above about being stuck with high RPMs on the highway).

Keep in mind a stock manual JL had a 0-60 of 6.1 seconds when tested. That's plenty of power: https://www.caranddriver.com/review...gler-v-6-4x4-manual-instrumented-test-review/
with a 33" tire and 4.56s, 70 mph cruising is ~2300 in 6th gear. I wouldn't call that overgeared.
I'm on 37's and 5.13's and the RPM profiles are very similar.

Having to down shift 2 gears to pass someone is one thing. Having to downshift 2 gears to maintain speed on a slight hill is ridiculous.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
with a 33" tire and 4.56s, 70 mph cruising is ~2300 in 6th gear. I wouldn't call that overgeared.
I wouldn't call that overgeared either but you and I may be the only owners on this site to cruise at 70 MPH. Most Wranglers around here are going 80+ and I'm the lone weirdo in the right lane at 5 under the speed limit (75 MPH outside of the cities).

Reactions: JT1

Sponsored

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
I wouldn't call that overgeared either but you and I may be the only owners on this site to cruise at 70 MPH. Most Wranglers around here are going 80+ and I'm the lone weirdo in the right lane at 5 under the speed limit (75 MPH outside of the cities).
very true! But even at 80, you are still below the second stage of the oil pump. Mine is aero limited.. it gets the same mileage above 70 in 5th or 6th until I hit 3000 rpm.

Davebdave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sport S
Thanks, this thread has been enlightening. I played around with an online calculator which I checked against our Jeep at 2500 rpm so I am comfortable it is accurate. It turns out first is actually quite short with the 3.45. For some reason it feels tall when I drive it. I still think I would like the 4.56 but maybe it’s not worth it, especially since it’s my wife’s Jeep.
Jeep Wrangler JL Manual Transmission Gearing Sucks? 6th Gear Useless? A225DBF0-E6BD-451D-8A6C-AA5E2BF10945
Jeep Wrangler JL Manual Transmission Gearing Sucks? 6th Gear Useless? AA7D9F85-3ABE-4F44-830A-B24D42809659
Jeep Wrangler JL Manual Transmission Gearing Sucks? 6th Gear Useless? 3636C2FF-A230-4960-AD01-39539C7284C5
Jeep Wrangler JL Manual Transmission Gearing Sucks? 6th Gear Useless? 98553691-524A-46E3-8A71-64E2CFD9D072
Jeep Wrangler JL Manual Transmission Gearing Sucks? 6th Gear Useless? 0FA2C1D5-6DF8-4C32-8CB0-52A3940C3347
Jeep Wrangler JL Manual Transmission Gearing Sucks? 6th Gear Useless? 37967095-C77F-4990-A6AD-3AFC35457341

Bback58

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2 dr, 6 spd, 2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland automatic
I second the opinion that if you are going to stay with 32" tires, go with the 4.10's. I just had 4.56's installed and have 32" tires and while I'm happy with the gears, if I had it to do over, I would probably go with the 4.10's. Maybe when I need new tires I will go a little bigger. Just Empty Every Pocket!!

Trav73

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLUR
The gears are around $950 and the labor is around $1,600.

I would recommend 4.56 if yours is a daily driver.That is what I have and couldn’t be happier.
Your numbers are very accurate, I wanted to maintain some of the warranty, so I had the dealership install the gears. Amazon had a JL Rubicon set of 5.13 Yukon with master install kit for $960 and the dealership charged me 13 hours @ $100 per hour labor. Only bad part was they put Mopar full synthetic gear oil (68378949AA) with an additive $240 - I'm going to throw it out in 500miles, per Yukon's recommended break-in method.

djxizodu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door
I'm on 37's and 5.13's and the RPM profiles are very similar.

Having to down shift 2 gears to pass someone is one thing. Having to downshift 2 gears to maintain speed on a slight hill is ridiculous.
I think 4.56s are the ideal gear with stock rubicon tires. Stock rubicons have 4.10s and they are just slightly off.

if ordering a manual I’d get 4.88s though.
Sponsored

Reactions: JT1